Life Sentence

Life Sentence

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Line of Vision, David Ellis's debut, garnered resounding praise. "Expertly written [and] intricately plotted," hailed the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "A surprisingly fresh take on the legal thriller" (San Francisco Chronicle), it inspired words like "seductive" (BookPage), "spellbinding" (Publishers Weekly), and "stylish" (Kirkus Reviews).

In Life Sentence, Ellis brings us a...more
Published February 24th 2003 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Life Sentence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Sentence

Marcy
An innocent man accused of murder, a cover-up of a decades old crime, an elaborate frame-up and a heated election involving some of the possible criminals all come together in the complex plot of this compelling legal thriller. After loving Ellis' first book, Line of Vision, I quickly became engrossed in this, his second. Story driven, with lots of twists and turns, this book kept my interest to the last, surprising me with a final twist at the end. Very good!!
Cara
A good airplane/hotel/beach book.
Lynn
Absolutely fabulous book, and to think I never would have read David Ellis if I didn't discover him as a co-author to James Patterson's (Guilty Wives)! This is a page-turner with a lot of twists and turns, and a magnificently crafted surprise ending.

Jon Soliday is chief counsel to Senator Grant Tully, who is running for Governor, but their association isn't just professional; they also share a friendship that goes back to high school. In 1979, when they were both 17, Grant talked Jon into a jaun...more
Kathleen Hagen
Life Sentence, by David Ellis. A-minus.
Downloaded from audible.com.

Jonathan is a lawyer working as top aide for his friend, Senator Grant Tulley. They have been friends since highschool. Grant is now running for governor against the attorney-general of the state. John, in doing a routine review of the petitions and application form of their competitor, learns that a case could be made for ineffective filing which would knock their competitor out of the race. An attorney in private practice, who...more
William
This is my second David Ellis novel,and like Line Of Vision i was not dissapointed.It took me a few pages to get into the story,but then i was hooked.Like most mystery readers i try to figure out the who done it,but only got part of it right,and like his first novel,the finish was unpredictable and had lot's of surprise's.Fans of John Grisham will love David Ellis.
Sandra
Read other books by this author
Becky
truthfully, when I listened to the first 5 or so minutes of this - I kept thinking that I had read this before. However, I couldn't remember all the details and even one of the twists so I was either not paying attention while reading this or maybe I had not gotten all they way through.

Decent twists, story was about a friendship that stays with a pair of boyhood friends into their adult, political life. When one man is accused of murder, the other tries to support him to help get him off of a l...more
Katherine Clark
Probably 3 1/2 stars. I read this before, but had forgotten so much of it, and I like Ellis so much, that I kept reading. I did not remember the ending, so really good I kept reading. The ending was so over the top that it prevented it from getting 4 stars, but I'm really enjoying Ellis.
Jan
A well orchestrated and captivating and original story of two long time friends, the political arena in Illinois, political posturing, murder, deceit and deep, dark secrets. A real page turner that could only be written by someone who was a veteran in criminal cases.
Marie
A great thriller. A few red herrings thrown in, great character development, and a surprise giant twist at the ending that kept me thinking about the book long after I had finished. I must get more books by David Ellis.
Bob
A legal thriller from a Chicago based author. Having been born and raised in the Chicago area, I truly enjoy books of all kinds that are written about or take place in Chicago.
Anne
The beginning seemed a bit slow. The last half of the book wouldn't let me put it down. The turn of events from what I expected kept me anxious to keep reading.
Kitty
Great suspense! It has political scandal, a trial and the ending which is good but kind of going round in circles and a bit confusing. Really liked it.
Jenene
Spellbinding! Excellent! My second book by this author and it will not be my last! Every bit as good, if not better, than Grisham.
Erin McDonnell-Jones
a great, and easy to read, murder mystery novel. I haven't read one in awhile, so this is what I needed to kick my summer off right!
Jara Packer
It was pretty good... my sister in law is friends with him so we get all of his books for the holidays!! We enjoy them!
Kelly
This one was really quite the page turner filled with some unexpected surprises.
CLM
I enjoyed this although recall that the plot seemed quite predictable.
Trisha
Very good book although it took several chapters to captivate me.
Nancy
Reads more like a screenplay or script than a novel, in my opinion.
Sue
Had difficulty keeping all the characters straight. Quite an ending.
Lori
really well written legal thriller
Phyllis
Excellent nail biter
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Cottero
Cottero marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jessica Brodman
Jessica Brodman marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Dave is an attorney from Chicago who has worked in both the public and private sector since his graduation from Northwestern Law School. He currently serves as Counsel to the Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives.LINE OF VISION, Dave's first novel, won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best First Novel by an American Author.
More about David Ellis...
The Hidden Man (Jason Kolarich, #1) The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3) Breach Of Trust (Jason Kolarich, #2) The Last Alibi (Jason Kolarich, #4) Line Of Vision