Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Robert Lowell

Selected Poems

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

Selected Poems includes over 200 poems, culled from each of Robert Lowell's books of verseLord Weary's Castle, The Mills of the Kavanaughs, Life Studies, For the Union Dead, Near the Ocean, History, For Lizzie and Harriet, and The Dolphin. This edition, which first appeared in 1977, was revised by the author: there are additions, deletions, and a change in sequence in the

Published January 1st 1977 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Abeer
Jul 05, 2015 Abeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, america
I always heard about robert lowell being a big influence on some of my favorite poets
including anne sexton, sylvia plath, and Elizabeth bishop.
and naturally I had anticipated his work greatly and for a long time, sexton and bishop share a straigh forward, simple and heartbreaking style of confessional poetry, but i think plath is the one that resembles lowell the most (they're all confessional though)
the first few poems i was very disappointed, it felt like a long poem of fancy sounding fillers
Ally Atherton

I have always had a love hate relationship with poetry. I really don't like the kind of stuff like makes no sense whatsoever and is filled with nods to greek mythology and other so called 'intellectual' rambleshit. I don't want to read poetry if you have to have a masters degree in ancient history to understand it.

However this collection of poetry is superb. There were a few pieces at the beginning that tested my patience but the main bulk of the poetry in the collection are pretty amazing. Most
Leslie
Nov 12, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This collection seems to have little bearing on the original Selected Poems, published in 1965. It is a shame that the title couldn't have been something different... This expanded edition is a selection of what the editor thought were the best poems in each of Lowell's major books (including the original Selected Poems which was probably my least favorite part) and thus is more of a "best of" collection.

The editor has done a marvelous job with the notes in the appendix, and I also recommend re
Meg
what i learned from this book is that perhaps burt reynolds lifted his playgirl poses from lowell's author photo.

true story.
Caitlin Klask
Jan 24, 2016 Caitlin Klask rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sometimes in sickness, we are weak enough to enter heaven.
Gwilym
Sep 05, 2008 Gwilym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used to be I didn't much care for 'confessional poets' or New England poets. However, Lowell is so capable and talented a writer, he is impossible to ignore. Furthermore, I like his writing! I don't find it confessional, or if I do, it is so overwhelmed with other attributes beyond mere confessionality that I can't hold it against.
Ashley Blake
Feb 08, 2009 Ashley Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A needed collection for any lover of poetry during this era.
Jenni
Jun 27, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse
Ho hum.
Jeffery Jones
Jeffery Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Gay
Gay marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Owain Sé
Owain Sé marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Leia Walker
Leia Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Chris Lockhart
Chris Lockhart marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Rock
Rock added it
Jan 17, 2016
MAH Hinton
MAH Hinton marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Michele Somerville
Michele Somerville rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Roger Everatt
Roger Everatt rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Luke Shannon
Luke Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Oshin
Oshin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Carol B.
Carol B. marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Harriet Wynne
Harriet Wynne marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Collected Poems, 1937-1971
  • Poetry and the Age
  • Contemporary American Poetry
  • Poems, 1965-1975
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Neon Vernacular: New and Selected Poems
  • Geography III
  • The Tower
  • The Beforelife
  • The Selected Poetry of Yehuda Amichai
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize
More about Robert Lowell...