Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Robert Lowell

Selected Poems

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

Selected Poems includes over 200 poems, culled from each of Robert Lowell's books of verseLord Weary's Castle, The Mills of the Kavanaughs, Life Studies, For the Union Dead, Near the Ocean, History, For Lizzie and Harriet, and The Dolphin. This edition, which first appeared in 1977, was revised by the author: there are additions, deletions, and a change in sequence in the

Published January 1st 1977 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Abeer
Jul 05, 2015 Abeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, america
I always heard about robert lowell being a big influence on some of my favorite poets
including anne sexton, sylvia plath, and Elizabeth bishop.
and naturally I had anticipated his work greatly and for a long time, sexton and bishop share a straigh forward, simple and heartbreaking style of confessional poetry, but i think plath is the one that resembles lowell the most (they're all confessional though)
the first few poems i was very disappointed, it felt like a long poem of fancy sounding fillers
Ally Atherton

I have always had a love hate relationship with poetry. I really don't like the kind of stuff like makes no sense whatsoever and is filled with nods to greek mythology and other so called 'intellectual' rambleshit. I don't want to read poetry if you have to have a masters degree in ancient history to understand it.

However this collection of poetry is superb. There were a few pieces at the beginning that tested my patience but the main bulk of the poetry in the collection are pretty amazing. Most
Gwilym
Sep 05, 2008 Gwilym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used to be I didn't much care for 'confessional poets' or New England poets. However, Lowell is so capable and talented a writer, he is impossible to ignore. Furthermore, I like his writing! I don't find it confessional, or if I do, it is so overwhelmed with other attributes beyond mere confessionality that I can't hold it against.
Leslie
Nov 12, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This collection seems to have little bearing on the original Selected Poems, published in 1965. It is a shame that the title couldn't have been something different... This expanded edition is a selection of what the editor thought were the best poems in each of Lowell's major books (including the original Selected Poems which was probably my least favorite part) and thus is more of a "best of" collection.

The editor has done a marvelous job with the notes in the appendix, and I also recommend re
Meg
what i learned from this book is that perhaps burt reynolds lifted his playgirl poses from lowell's author photo.

true story.
Terence Carlisle
Robert Lowell, the founding father of the Confessional School of modern poetry, is an inescapable figure for the serious poetry enthusiast. The crucial books are “Life Studies” and “For the Union Dead,” but the “Selected Poems” is the perfect place to start if one wants a good broad overview of his career. When Boston Brahmin Lowell, whose famous family were a Who’s Who of American history and culture, wrote of his madness, his heartache, his marital problems, his ancestors, it seemed as if his ...more
Caitlin Klask
Jan 24, 2016 Caitlin Klask rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sometimes in sickness, we are weak enough to enter heaven.
Ashley Blake
Feb 08, 2009 Ashley Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A needed collection for any lover of poetry during this era.
Jenni
Jun 27, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse
Ho hum.
Roberto Cantos
Roberto Cantos marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Exo
Exo added it
May 22, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
James Hughes
James Hughes rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Sarah Gonnet
Sarah Gonnet rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Madeline Reid
Madeline Reid rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Victoria Nicholson
Victoria Nicholson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Rob Whiting
Rob Whiting rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Rob Whiting
Rob Whiting rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Gloria Sun
Gloria Sun marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Georgia Gebert
Georgia Gebert rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Michella Carter
Michella Carter marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Amy Robertson
Amy Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Jon Gagas
Jon Gagas marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Nicole Koneck-Wilwerding
Nicole Koneck-Wilwerding marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
  • Queen for a Day: Selected And New Poems
  • The Selected Poetry of Yehuda Amichai
  • Selected Poems
  • The Tower
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Fire to Fire
  • The Unswept Room
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize
More about Robert Lowell...