Start by marking “Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked” as Want to Read:
Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked

Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked (Blue Beetle #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,257 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Tearing its way through the events of DAY OF VENGEANCE and INFINITE CRISIS, the mystical Blue Beetle scarab has chosen its new guardian: teenager Jaime Reyes! But supernatural powers can be a blessing or a curse, and when it comes to the powers of the Scarab, you don't get one without the other.

Collects Blue Beetle #1-6.
Published December 6th 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Blue Beetle, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Beetle, Vol. 1

Anne
Nov 01, 2011 Anne rated it liked it

It has potential.
The origin story of the new Blue Beetle is a tad shaky, and could have used a more in-depth approach. Especially when it came to his missing year...but maybe that will be addressed in later volumes?
Also, the bad guys aren't very scary, and there's some pretty stereotypical characters thrown in as Jamie's friends and family.

And yet...

I really liked it. Something about the interactions between Jamie, his family, and his friends really warmed me up to this book.
I don't k
John Wiswell
Apr 19, 2008 John Wiswell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Superhero comics fans
The introduction is jarring - apparently the new Blue Beetle, Jaime, was introduced in other comics before this one. He found a magic scarab that granted him magic armor and he went into space and fought a magic battle. The first chapter tries to catch you up to speed, and you aren't missing much outside of whether or not you can recognize who "Guy Gardener" or "Brother Eye" are. But you know who the superheroes and superbaddies are off the bat, and you know that he'll essentially be at odds wit ...more
[Name Redacted]
Feb 04, 2013 [Name Redacted] rated it it was ok
Hmm. Bit of a rough start. Apparently Jaime was introduced as the new Blue Beetle in a previous storyline in another series, then featured in the big Infinite Crisis cross-over event; this means that anyone picking this volume up expecting a real introduction to the character will be a bit bewildered. Also, for someone who apparently helped Superman & gang save the universe, he seems to spend an inordinate amount of time confused by his own powers.

The first little storyline was good (if a bi
Michael
This was a fun story, with a lot of human interest as the main character tries to make their way through the superhero world previously unknown to them. The setting in the Latino community was refreshing for a comic book story, although I didn't think they took enough advantage of presenting the culture there. Overall, definitely recommended, and there are 5 more volumes after this one!

I came to this series after first reading Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Metamorphosis and I have to say there are some t
John Yelverton
Jan 23, 2012 John Yelverton rated it liked it
The reboot of the "Blue Beetle" books is disappointing to say the least.
Speedtribes
Dec 03, 2007 Speedtribes rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
One of the few comics about a young superhero that has really gripped me. A minority cast. Hilarious pseudo mentorship. Wonderful BFF. A superhero that actually has supportive family members, and who also is honest to them and actively tries to work with them, even while they have difficulty digesting just what is happening.

A superhero that isn't smug, who tries to work with people, who reacts to things like a regular person and isn't some sort of overpowered, jaded emo boy? (I'm looking at you,
Feather Mista
Aug 30, 2013 Feather Mista rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Feather by: Rhockman, creo
Leído dentro del librote español Universo DC: Blue Beetle que contiene esta saga y las tres siguientes. Espero poder leerme lo que me queda de libro porque la verdad que hasta ahora va muy bien. Buen dibujo, buena ambientación, personajes simpáticos que tienen diálogos creíbles e ingeniosos. No te digo que es Buffy pero más o menos va por ese lado: jóvenes con poderes y responsabilidades que hacen lo que pueden para combinar sus misiones salva mundo (o salva amigos del barrio) mientras tratan de ...more
Susan
Mar 03, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Jaime Reyes is a great character and he has an interesting supporting cast. Aside from a few confusing parts--this linked to DC's last big crisis and the OMAC project--Shellshocked stands out as an introduction to a new hero and a book that is just genuinely fun, which many superhero books aren't these days.
Jace
Nov 15, 2009 Jace rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
As many reviews have noted, although this volume begins with issue #1 of the new "Blue Beetle" series, the story actually begins somewhere else. I understand that DC may not have wanted to duplicate a story from another series, but without Blue Beetle's origins, this volume gets off to a very shaky start.

And it doesn't get much better. The story skips around between the past and the present and shouldn't be nearly as muddled as it turns out to be. The villainess never really gets an introductio
Joseph
Jul 02, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it
Borrowed from Debi.

This book was highly recommended, but to be honest, I don't feel that it lived up to its billing. More than anything else, I wish more had been done to introduce the characters rather than just relying on the reader knowing what happened in other series. Too much time is spent talking about events that we never see, and it's hard to tell what the reader is supposed to know already as opposed to what information will be revealed as the story progresses.

I was also annoyed by the
Ellie
Katie
Sep 21, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, comic-books
Having already read Infinite Crisis, I was already aware of Jaime and his introduction. This gave me a headstart on the readers who pick up issue #1 of Blue Beetle with no prior awareness of his character. I will admit that the starting point is very abrupt; the first issue moves back and forth between past and present in a dizzying manner.

It's taken me several years to read about Jaime, because the previous incarnation of Blue Beetle was my very favorite character as a child and I was devastate
Adam Graham
Oct 28, 2014 Adam Graham rated it liked it
Shellshocked features the first issues with Jaime Reyes as the new Blue Beetle. There's a lot to like about the character. Jaime is a good kid and the background and setting of having a superhero in El Paso is actually a pretty good idea in a universe where heroes are East and West coast sorts of guys. Also, there's a tremendous amount mystery wrapped up around Jaime.

On the other hand, this book is Exhibit A on why the whole One Year later approach where heroes disappeared for a year and the boo
Etienne
Sep 09, 2015 Etienne rated it liked it
I love Jaime Reyes. This was the first book with him in the titular role.

I hadn't previously realised it's possible to drop so many hints as to detract from the actual plot: the references to the events of "Infinite Crisis" could probably have used more clarification -- or else they might have been left out altogether. It's not that those details are uninteresting, it's just that unravelling all of the threads gets a bit confusing.

But all in all? Jaime's insecurities make him profoundly relatabl
K.
Mar 27, 2013 K. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books

Fizzgig76
Reprints Blue Beetle #1-6 Jaime Reyes returns to Earth after the events of the Infinite Crisis and learns that things have changed since he went away. The Blue Beetle series is kind of jarring (like many of Giffen's books). The story doesn't seem to flow...It isn't awful but it isn't anything that is particularly memorable. I know a big catch on this book is that Jaime is suppose to represent the rarely represented Hispanic population, but Giffen needs to move past that aspect to give him real d ...more
Kim Dyer
Jul 02, 2014 Kim Dyer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-comics
An underwhelming opening volume, possessing some art that really does not fit with the tone of the series and a plot line that ultimately falls a little flat. As Jaime was introduced already within another series, it's not really an origin story but it does do it's best to get the reader up to speed.

However, the setting is fantastic and the humor is very quick, making this comic a very breezy and satisfying read. I also rather like that Jaime's first action is to tell everyone he knows that he i
Brad
May 21, 2008 Brad rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, dc, teenagers
Relaunching the new Blue Beetle makes a lot of sense. It's a neat name, but the last Beetle was a redundant, not-too-compelling character. The new Beetle, a Latino teen in a border town, is a convincing character and has a decent supporting cast.
Too bad his first collection is ridiculously uneven. Giffen and Rogers both have some great lines of dialogue, but the introduction of the character is abrupt and sloppy; it's barely mentioned that he debuted during Infinite Crisis (a text recap page wo
Alex
Mar 26, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
This is a Graphic Novel about a DC hero named the blue beetle. The Blue Beetle is a kid named Jaime Reyes. Jaime lives in El Paso, Texas. Jaime was walking home to school with his friends, Brenda and Paco, when he saw a blue beetle scarab on a construction site. Of course, he had no idea what it was so he took it home. When he woke up, he had a blue armor on. The armor has a mind of its own.
I only have one connection. Jaime also speaks Spanish, I also speak Spanish.
I rate this book 4 stars be
Brad
Jul 26, 2012 Brad rated it liked it
Jaime Reyes is awesome. I wanted to read some Blue Beetle after digging the character on Brave and the Bold, and this was a pretty good introduction to him. I love Jaime and his cast, and the art is pretty solid too.

The book does refer to events from Infinite Crisis, which I'm a little fuzzy on. Also, in the second to last issue, a fill-in artist steps in. The art in this section isn't as good, and the change is jarring. It also felt like we were getting a lot of things thrown at us in the back
Josh
Apr 15, 2016 Josh rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc
I really feel as though I should have liked this more than I ended up. I like Jaime, or maybe just the idea of him, but everything else presented here ranged from either blah to okay at best. The plot is disjointed as all get out but the real offender is the clunky dialogue. The art however does remind me a bit of the early years of Invincible, at least when Hamner is drawing the issue that is. I'll give the next volume a shot since the general consensus seems to be that it is a vast improvement ...more
Apr 17, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I would have loved to know that this wasn't the first appearance of the Blue Beetle (Jamie). Now I have to go find the real first book to know what the hell he was talking about through this entire story.

The characters are likable. The dialogue is humorous, but at times I have difficulty understanding what is being said and have to re-read (a few times). Use of commas would have benefited the dialogue.

Lots of random elements keep getting introduced and it gets a little difficult to keep track
Nico
Oct 12, 2014 Nico rated it liked it
This book gets points for setting the scene somewhere other than New York or a fictional place like Opal City, but it's otherwise not that special. The creative team tried to introduce a diverse cast, but the characters aren't well-rounded and the female characters are generally in the plot to get in trouble, show some skin, and/or act mysterious. Tropes! They abound, and make this volume okay, but forgettable.
Marshall Ruddock
Mar 03, 2013 Marshall Ruddock rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc
Blue Bleetle: Shellshocked follows Jaime Reyes as he learns to live and adept with a mysterious alien-like technology called The Scarab.

While I figured (like the Flash) that I would try to dive into some of the "B-List" DC characters, I didn't really find a lot about this to enjoy. The artwork and writing were okay, but I found myself getting distracted and having to reread the page or panels multiple times to get it to stick.

Just not for me.
Shana
Jan 06, 2016 Shana rated it it was amazing
This is and will always remain one of my favorite comics. I grabbed it to lend to a friend and accidentally read all of it but NO REGRETS. Some parts might be hard to grasp if you're new to the world of DC comics, but for the most part it does a very good job of standing alone. Jaime's journey of figuring out his new superpowers is wonderful, and his supporting cast is fantastic. It is definitely the first part of a series, though! Be warned, you will want to read more.
Jin
Jul 08, 2014 Jin rated it really liked it
"Wow! This is good! My first Blue Beetle story, the character concept is impressive. I know Ted Kord but I'm not that interested. But this Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is different, cool and relatable in character. Everyday high school kid got merged with an ancient alien war machine, got his first Justice League campaign and then his own as he balances his life. I will definitely be reading more of this!"
Al Tarancón
Feb 12, 2013 Al Tarancón rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, superheroes
No me gusto especialmente que Ted Kord muriera y en parte eso hizo que jamas me planteara leer esta serie... Pero al final le he acabado dando una oportunidad y la verdad es que el personaje esta muy bien y el comic parece un tebeo como los de antes. A ver que tal sigue una vez Giffen deje los guiones...
Brian
Jan 17, 2009 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
DC plugs the whole created when 'my' Blue Beetle from the classic Justice League International days was killed as part of Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

Infinite Crisis #5 should have been included in this collection, since those events are referenced numerous times. Still, this is a nice book to get a start on a new version of a classic hero.
Boxofdelights
It's weird, reading around all the references to other stories and characters that I have not read. I love the fact that a Mexican-American superhero exists. I could wish that the writer and illustrators got their Spanish-language bits looked at by a Spanish speaker. I love the fact that this superhero talks to his family and friends.
Geoff
Mar 16, 2013 Geoff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-2013
I like John Roger's TV show Leverage, and this has some of the best elements of the show: a focus on friendship, hidden agendas, and redemtive quests. And it is so nice to see a minority mainstream character comics character. the stories and dialog seem a kittle abrubt, unsubtle, and arbitrary (but not any moreso than a typical DC/marvel comic).
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon
  • Infinite Crisis Companion
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius, #5)
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more
More about Keith Giffen...

Blue Beetle (6 books)