Puppies and Piggies

Puppies and Piggies

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Join a sneaky puppy for a joyous barnyard jaunt,and meet the many adorable babies spring has brought to a farm. There are ponies and puppies, piggies and duckies. And whether it's munching or snoozing, hiding or playing, they're all busy doing the things they love best....more
Published March 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Dolly
Apr 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This is a fun rhyming and rhythmic poem that is bouncy and fun to read aloud. With adorable and colorful illustrations, this is a perfect book for even the youngest child. It's at the edge of being too young for our girls, but we had fun reading the book and pointing out the things we saw in the pictures. We are slowly working our way through Cynthia Rylant's vast collection of stories - we really love her writing!
Cheryl in CC NV
The same idea has been done before, but better. The "aww.." factor doesn't justify another 16.00 purchase of a book about the commonalities of babies and farm animals, especially since almost no children live on a farm anymore!
Ishta Mercurio
Excellent rhyme and a very nice concept book, but a little too quiet for me to say that I Loved it.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: My boys enjoyed the book, we read it a lot; sometimes I picked it, sometimes they did. My 4-year-old liked it, but was a bit bored with it. My 2 year old liked it, and enjoyed the short length. They both enjoyed the fun illustrations with familiar animals (puppy, kitten, mouse, goose, etc.)

Big Kid Reaction: I loved the sweet illustrations and the soothing, peaceful story. It actually doesn't have a plot, just a handful of glances into the lives of the animals. The pictures a...more
Taylor Troncin
Wes was able to read this on his own (with there exception of a couple of words). Cute story!
Peacegal
In this gentle, nursery-rhyme-style book, a variety of animals frolic in a fantasy barnyard, doing the things their species love to do--whether scratching and pecking for the chick or wallowing in mud for the pig. It would be nice if scenes such as this were still common, and farm animals were still able to engage in the natural behaviors they were born to do.
Angela
Nov 23, 2009 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I heard about Cynthia Rylant through a comment on my blog. This was our first book of hers to try and it certainly won't be our last. The story is fun, the rhymes flow easily, and the illustrations are just right. I threw in a few noises for the animals since that's what my little one is interested in right now. We really enjoyed this one.
Samantha Penrose
This book has beautiful illustrations...if you pay close enough attention to them, you will know which animal will pop up next.
The book has great rhythm and rhyme and has more to offer than just puppies and piggies. The book introduces eight different animals doing what they enjoy doing most.
A sweet, delightful read aloud book.
babyhippoface
Puppy, piggie, goosey, pony, and more are all happy living and playing in the barnyard. The simple rhyming text and Ivan Bates' adorable illustrations will draw toddlers' attention. The sweet ending makes this a perfect book for parents to share with their little ones at naptime or bedtime.
Molly Craig
Cynthia Rylant never disappoints, and Puppies and Piggies is just as endearing as its cover looks. The wonderful, simple rhymes and the pretty illustrations of farm animals enjoying their day together create a joyful read.

Rylant continues to be on of my Top Two Favorties of all time!
Kathy
Illustrated by Ivan Bates--a good bedtime story showing several animals doing what they love to do, all the animals are very happy, and so is Baby who loves his bed & his Mama who kisses his sleepy head. Nice rhymes and charming pictures for babies to toddlers.
The Library Lady
Adorable pictures and since it's Cynthia Rylant, impeccable verse with a nice rhythmic swing. It escaped my ever vigilant saccharine meter by just a tad--a nice addition to the fluffy/wuffy sort of books about farm animals and babies.
Elise
I probably liked reading this book to my kids because the puppy in the book reminds me of my dog growing up. Along with puppy you visit with the other baryyard animals and find out all the things they love to.
Katt
I love that this book shows what animals love to do. I think it teaches that it's okay to love something different than someone else. This book is well illustrated and the text is easy to read to a young child.
Jenny
This would make a great bedtime story for babies and toddlers...but would also be enjoyed by beginning readers...with the rhyming phrases and a new animal on each page. I love Cynthia Rylant!
Deb
Love Bates's soft crayon/watercolor art. Rylant uses rhyming couplets (?) to describe animals around the farmyard. Ties into babies at end. Very sweet; we'll see how the child responds.
Jenna
short and sweet. This story gives children basic information about what certain animals to and where they belong. The rhyming language helps kids understand and possibly memorize the words.
Becky
Simple book book about farmyard animals. Replete with gentle rhymes, this is a book that reinforces phonological awareness. Children will love the animals.
Jen H.
This is one of my new favorite books. The cutest illustrations. Great rhyming text and great read aloud!!! Perfect for babies and toddlers!!!
Glenna
Children will love the rhythm and rhyme of this delightful book by Cynthia Ryland. I've found next week's Kindergarten read-aloud.
Jeanette Johnson
Rhyming story set in the barnyard with various animals being happy. Culminates with happiness of a baby. This is a good preschool book.
Tricia
sweet story, lovely pictures. a tale of animals and ends with a sleeping baby being watched over by the critters.
Dawn
This rhyming picture book describes farm animals' favorite activities. Medicore pics and text.
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Rylant
I do love Cynthia Rylant. This would be a nice read for the very young. Very, very young.
Jeff
A fun farm book about the characteristics of the animals on the farm and love poem to a baby.
Ecl  Storytellers
Great easy story for toddlers about all the different little animals on the farm
Paula
An abundance of animals play around the house where the baby is going for a nap
Grace
Fun story for younger children about animals on the farm. fun to read.
Linda
so sweet and perfect to read again and again with a toddler on your lap.
Cana
Mommy says: This is a gentle bedtime book for preschoolers, ages 2-4.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years