Start by marking “Puppies and Piggies” as Want to Read:
Puppies and Piggies

Puppies and Piggies

Join a sneaky puppy for a joyous barnyard jaunt, and meet the many adorable babies spring has brought to a farm. There are ponies and puppies, piggies and duckies. And whether it's munching or snoozing, hiding or playing, they're all busy doing the things they love best.
Published March 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Puppies and Piggies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppies and Piggies

Dolly
Apr 02, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
This is a fun rhyming and rhythmic poem that is bouncy and fun to read aloud. With adorable and colorful illustrations, this is a perfect book for even the youngest child. It's at the edge of being too young for our girls, but we had fun reading the book and pointing out the things we saw in the pictures. We are slowly working our way through Cynthia Rylant's vast collection of stories - we really love her writing!
Ishta Mercurio
Feb 14, 2011 Ishta Mercurio rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent rhyme and a very nice concept book, but a little too quiet for me to say that I Loved it.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: My boys enjoyed the book, we read it a lot; sometimes I picked it, sometimes they did. My 4-year-old liked it, but was a bit bored with it. My 2 year old liked it, and enjoyed the short length. They both enjoyed the fun illustrations with familiar animals (puppy, kitten, mouse, goose, etc.)

Big Kid Reaction: I loved the sweet illustrations and the soothing, peaceful story. It actually doesn't have a plot, just a handful of glances into the lives of the animals. The pictures a
Peacegal
May 02, 2013 Peacegal rated it it was ok
In this gentle, nursery-rhyme-style book, a variety of animals frolic in a fantasy barnyard, doing the things their species love to do--whether scratching and pecking for the chick or wallowing in mud for the pig. It would be nice if scenes such as this were still common, and farm animals were still able to engage in the natural behaviors they were born to do.
Angela
Nov 23, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I heard about Cynthia Rylant through a comment on my blog. This was our first book of hers to try and it certainly won't be our last. The story is fun, the rhymes flow easily, and the illustrations are just right. I threw in a few noises for the animals since that's what my little one is interested in right now. We really enjoyed this one.
Samantha Penrose
May 12, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This book has beautiful illustrations...if you pay close enough attention to them, you will know which animal will pop up next.
The book has great rhythm and rhyme and has more to offer than just puppies and piggies. The book introduces eight different animals doing what they enjoy doing most.
A sweet, delightful read aloud book.
Katt
Jun 20, 2008 Katt rated it it was amazing
I love that this book shows what animals love to do. I think it teaches that it's okay to love something different than someone else. This book is well illustrated and the text is easy to read to a young child.
The Library Lady
Mar 04, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable pictures and since it's Cynthia Rylant, impeccable verse with a nice rhythmic swing. It escaped my ever vigilant saccharine meter by just a tad--a nice addition to the fluffy/wuffy sort of books about farm animals and babies.
Janet
Nicely done verse about the barnyard animals. A title the very young will enjoy for the rhyming of the two line text per page. Illustrations are soft, lovely warm which convey those feelings to young child.
Kathy
Mar 11, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-picture-books
Illustrated by Ivan Bates--a good bedtime story showing several animals doing what they love to do, all the animals are very happy, and so is Baby who loves his bed & his Mama who kisses his sleepy head. Nice rhymes and charming pictures for babies to toddlers.
Elise
Jun 23, 2009 Elise rated it really liked it
I probably liked reading this book to my kids because the puppy in the book reminds me of my dog growing up. Along with puppy you visit with the other baryyard animals and find out all the things they love to.
Molly Craig
Sep 11, 2009 Molly Craig rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Rylant never disappoints, and Puppies and Piggies is just as endearing as its cover looks. The wonderful, simple rhymes and the pretty illustrations of farm animals enjoying their day together create a joyful read.

Rylant continues to be on of my Top Two Favorties of all time!
babyhippoface
Mar 27, 2013 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Puppy, piggie, goosey, pony, and more are all happy living and playing in the barnyard. The simple rhyming text and Ivan Bates' adorable illustrations will draw toddlers' attention. The sweet ending makes this a perfect book for parents to share with their little ones at naptime or bedtime.
Cana
Nov 08, 2009 Cana rated it liked it
Mommy says: This is a gentle bedtime book for preschoolers, ages 2-4.
Angela
May 01, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-elsa
Simple, fun illustrations.
Kathy Fredrickson
Jan 22, 2009 Kathy Fredrickson rated it really liked it
Using this one for baby time!
Jenny
Sep 19, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
This would make a great bedtime story for babies and toddlers...but would also be enjoyed by beginning readers...with the rhyming phrases and a new animal on each page. I love Cynthia Rylant!
Morgan
Oct 13, 2008 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I love Cynthia Rylant. If I could write, I would write like her.
Traci Bold
Jul 12, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
A snuggly story for sleepytime reading. Showcasing animals found near home.

Written by Cynthia Rylant, illustrated by Ivan Bates and published by HMH Kids.

#PB #Bedtime #animals
Relyn
Jun 22, 2010 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Rylant
I do love Cynthia Rylant. This would be a nice read for the very young. Very, very young.
Dawn
May 21, 2008 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This rhyming picture book describes farm animals' favorite activities. Medicore pics and text.
Beverly
Jun 11, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, dogs
sweet rhymes; adorable illustrations
Michael
Nov 04, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Cute, rhyming. Charming illustrations. Sweet message, like a nursery rhyme. Just not quite classic status- it's missing that special magic.
Cynthia
Aug 09, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great for early readers. Love the rhyme & simplicity.
Tara
Nov 04, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Must remember this one for baby storytime...
Glenna
Apr 05, 2012 Glenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Children will love the rhythm and rhyme of this delightful book by Cynthia Ryland. I've found next week's Kindergarten read-aloud.
Kate Hastings
Mar 10, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: babies
Shelves: picturebooks
Good for baby storytime, simple rhym-y text and kisses at the end!
Deb
Mar 25, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Love Bates's soft crayon/watercolor art. Rylant uses rhyming couplets (?) to describe animals around the farmyard. Ties into babies at end. Very sweet; we'll see how the child responds.
Jun 20, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Very basic for the littlest ones - repetition and rhyme.
Elanor
  • Dog and Bear: Two's Company
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • The Fox in the Dark
  • Ten Tiny Babies
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...