Start by marking “Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World” as Want to Read:
Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
From the time of its birth in Mecca in the 7th century C.E., Islam and the Islamic world rapidly expanded outward, extending to Spain and West Africa in the west, and to Central Asia and the Indian Subcontinent in the east. An examination of the daily life in these Islamic regions provides insight into a civilized, powerful, and economically stable culture, where large met ...more
Published June 30th 2005 by Greenwood Press

To ask other readers questions about Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

Majid Abdoh
I read it critically as a Muslim myself, seeing how this Islamic period is portrayed in Western literature.

The book puts forward a secular investigation on a society underpinned by a common faith. This secular view will never provide the full and accurate picture

Within this context, the author made very good observations and avoided making unsupported assumption.
The author also quoted (translated) Quranic verses where appropriate.
Stacey
This book by James Lindsay effectively and informatively summarises daily life in the Medieval Islamic world. He begins by first explaining key topics of the Islamic culture and religion, such as a brief overview of the prophet Mohammed, his key battles, the different branches of Islam, etc. The book then moves on to more specific topics, such as life in the cities, etc.

The first chapter is very much an historiographical summary of Lindsay's sources. It is quite detailed, so if this kind of thin
Tiffany
May 20, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Daily Life" is a little more scholarly than I was hoping for, but that comes out sounding like a bad thing. Since my ulterior motive was research for my novel, I'd hoped for "daily living" gems that couldn't be found in other scholarly works. There are a few of those in this book - no tea! no coffee! - but I think I would've been better off reading this book earlier in my research rather than later.
Luanna Maliki
This book was an interesting read but I hadn't learned much. Everything written I already had some idea and I was hoping I would learn something entirely different. But if you are completely ignorant of this time period and of Arab culture, I strongly recommend you read. I couldn't help but notice a bias tone in the author's writing, disliked that greatly but it can be easily ignored.
Mark Blackham
Feb 26, 2012 Mark Blackham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denny writes a very thorough summary of Islam. Although often criticized as a non-Muslim writing on Islam, there can be little doubt about his comprehensive and refreshingly objective knowledge of the subject. It is probably one of the best resources for reaching western academics and students whose focus is on the Middle East. My only critique is the cost of the book.
A. Michael
Nov 19, 2014 A. Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I certainly had good details but I was hoping for more: bathing, taxes, education, etc. I had found out most details through my own amateurish research.
Bhavesh Sorathiya
Bhavesh Sorathiya marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Asim Iftekhar
Asim Iftekhar rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
SorJuana456
SorJuana456 marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jessa
Jessa rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
فيصل
فيصل rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Moteeb
Moteeb added it
Dec 07, 2015
Abdulrahman Almahdi
Abdulrahman Almahdi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Interpreter Salah
Interpreter Salah marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Nina Yahdi
Nina Yahdi marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Hamdanil
Hamdanil marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
┌ εмαи
┌ εмαи marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Kari Blackmoore
Kari Blackmoore marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Ahmed
Ahmed added it
Oct 14, 2015
Opŝ Ḿƴ Ësm
Opŝ Ḿƴ Ësm marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Thrax
Thrax marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015