Start by marking “Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)” as Want to Read:
Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)

Acts of Nature (Max Freeman #5)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Hailed for his extraordinary writing (Publishers Weekly) and his incisively chiseled characters (The New York Times), Jonathon King returns with a chilling new thriller featuring Max Freeman, the most thoughtful, well-read, and multilayered private eye hero since Spenser (Booklist, starred review).

Craving some quiet time together, Max Freeman and Detective Sherry Richards
Published August 2nd 2007 by Dutton Adult (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Acts of Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acts of Nature

Michael
Jul 22, 2011 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, review
Review from Badelynge.
This is the 5th book featuring Max Freeman. An ex Philadelphia cop who has retired to a remote cabin in the Florida Everglades. Over the last 4 books Max has been getting his life back together after a fateful night when he shot a 12 year old kid at a convenience store hold-up and was badly injured himself. No longer on the force, he spends his days in solitude at his cabin or occasionally doing investigative work for his best friend Billy Manchester.
In this one Max is taki
Eadie
Jan 16, 2016 Eadie rated it really liked it
Book Description:
Hailed for his "extraordinary" writing ( Publishers Weekly ) and his "incisively chiseled characters" ( The New York Times ), Jonathon King returns with a chilling new thriller featuring Max Freeman, the most thoughtful, well-read, and multilayered private eye hero since Spenser" ( Booklist , starred review). Craving some quiet time together, Max Freeman and Detective Sherry Richards retreat to Max 19s shack deep in the Florida Everglades. No television. No cell phones. No neigh
Amy
Jul 08, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Book started out fine, but started to wear thin toward the middle. The three nearly separate stories were okay, but I started only being interested in Max and Sherry's story.

And I wonder if I got an unedited eBook version or something, because I found a couple sentences where it had me instead of my and some things that just didn't make sense - all within the space of a few pages.

The ending, where we got three different views of the same events, was frustrating because in one of them, there was
Patricia
Aug 31, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Acts of Nature – 5 Paws
Jonathon King
Dutton, 2007, 260 pps.
ISBN No.978-0-525-95008-0

An unexpected visit by Hurricane Simone will have a lasting effect on the lives of a number of people in the way of the storm.

Max Freeman, former police officer in Philadelphia, and now a PI in Florida has invited Sherry Richards to spend a peaceful week with him at his remote cabin in the Everglades. Max and Sherry agree that this will be a few days with no contact with the outside world so no one really knows t
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Goodreads Author Jonathon King subtly weaves different tales of "nature" into this installment of his Max Freeman Series. Mother Nature, animal nature, and man's nature all collide in a climactic intersection in South Florida's Everglades.

Max and Sherry are at Max's Everglades cabin for a well deserved rest after their last case together. And the tranquility will be good for them as they decide whether to stay a couple. Max certainly hopes they will, but does Sherry? Sensing that she is bored, M
Kathleen Hagen
Acts of Nature, by Jonathan King, b-plus, narrated by Mel Foster, produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com

This is the fifth book in the Max Freeman series. Max was a cop in Philadelphia for a decade but left the force because he accidentally killed a child. He moved to Florida to an isolated shack to have peace, and in the last five books he’s had precious little. In this book Max and his girl friend, Deputy Sherry (forgot her last name right now) go first to his isolated shack,
Quillracer
Dec 30, 2012 Quillracer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I became a fan of Jonathon King the moment I read The Blue Edge Of Midnight, and scooped up every book as soon as it came out in paperback. But I never found this one. So, when I got a Kindle for Christmas, this was the first book I ordered.

The tension starts on the first page and never goes away. At first it is low key, just a feeling bad things will be happening in the future, then it escalates as the book progresses.

Max Freeman and Sherry Richards are enjoying a vacation at Max’s cabin in th
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Jonathon King's 5th book in the Max Freeman series goes back to roots, and for the the first time since his debut novel sets the vast majority of the action in the Everglades. Freeman and his girlfriend policewoman Sherry have canoed deep into the 'Glades for a romantic getaway, but then get caught unaware by a major hurricane. Sherry is injured with a broken leg. Max has to get them out. At the same time, there are two other stories: a small gang of looters looking for a big score, and two mili ...more
LJ
Oct 02, 2007 LJ rated it really liked it
ACTS OF NATURE (Suspense-Max Freeman-Florida-Cont) - VG
King, Jonathan – 6th in series
Dutton, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780525950080
First Sentence: I have my arms around her, my chest pressed into her back, the tops of my thighs against her hamstrings, and I can feel a vibration from deep inside of her. [No, it’s not what you think.]
*** Max and his new love, Detective Sherry Richards take some time for a completely restful time at a secluded shack in the Florida Everglades. A violent hurricane
Teresa in Ohio
The fifth book in the series but the weakest entry. After Max and Sherry solved a brutal case in the previous novel, they now need to decide how they can move their relationship into the future. Sherry travels to the Everglades and Max's home in the remote Everglades. After a few days they decide to travel by water to another fishing camp. Unknown to them a hurricane is blowing in which was the best part of the book. In other plots we have two seperate stories being told and when they come toget ...more
Steve Payne
Mar 02, 2015 Steve Payne rated it liked it
This was my first book by Jonathon King. I liked the characters well enough but with 3 separate story lines that are totally unrelated but then came together in the last 20 pages made it hard to care about. I'm not sure if this is how the rest of his books are constructed or not. I'll try another one and see.
Sharon O'quinn
Apr 14, 2016 Sharon O'quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far his best book

This was a thrill a minute book that put you in the "eye" of danger and painted a real canvas of the beautiful Everglades...........
Suzan
Nov 19, 2015 Suzan rated it liked it
ok
Robert
Nov 05, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
At only 260 pages an author has to tell a story pretty quick and here King does a nice job of it. I guess these books are mainly classified as mystery novels but there really is no mystery here. More a story of Max Freeman on vacation when a hurricane comes a blowing. Now of course there is going to be a bit more to the story but I don't feel it is my place to be telling the story as the author has done a fine enough job of that. So enjoy the read and watch the skies for there comes a storm a bl ...more
Kalendra Dee
Sep 10, 2013 Kalendra Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Max and Sherry head out to his cabin on the edge of the Everglades for some well deserved R&R. Deciding to visit a friend's camp deeper in the Everglades, they are surprised by a fierce Hurricane. When Sherry is seriously injured, Max knows he needs to get her back to civilization as soon as possible. This, however, is complicated by a gang of thieves and some seriously bad mercenaries.
Ramon Dearmas
May 30, 2011 Ramon Dearmas rated it really liked it

This is a great read and new author for me! I am still going to go with John Connoly but I have to say this guy is a good second! I will look for this author again in the future, if you are in a rut with your favorite guy this author can do it for you. Has the experience as former law enforcement and also the active outdoor life.

I enjoyed it and am sure you will as well!
Unkunkel
Apr 28, 2011 Unkunkel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
War trotz Mängelexemplar-Kennzeichnung doch überraschend gut. (Ja, ich bin einer der Menschen die denken, dass Mängelexemplare zu 90 % Bücher sind, die der Buchhandel nicht losbekommen hat.)
Die Hauptcharaktere fand ich allerdings total nervig - dafür aber die Bösewichte sympathisch. Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob das von dem Autor so gewollt war.. ;)
Barbara B.
Mar 26, 2012 Barbara B. rated it really liked it
I know that sometimes I sound like a broken record, but just finished a book with another favorite character. Thank goodness I have lots of authors and lots of characters to follow, otherwise they would all have to write a lot faster. Guess i need to continue looking for some "new blood"........
Abby
May 10, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing
Excellent "train book" (I have a 40-minute commute each way). Fast-paced; a quick read. I cared what happened to the lead characters (even one of the "baddies"!).

I'll be looking up the other books in the Max Freeman series now, so I can see how this character developed.

Joe O'c
Aug 24, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Max Freeman; Freeman and cop/girlfriend head to the Everglades for a little R&R, but run into a major storm and a group of looters.
Steve Gendreau
Apr 04, 2015 Steve Gendreau rated it liked it
I agree with another reviewer that it started out fine but became tedious and I only cared abut the two main characters in the end.
Patricia
May 29, 2009 Patricia rated it liked it
Entertaining, but I'm not sure if it captured my interest enough to read others in the series.
jules
Jul 05, 2011 jules rated it it was ok
One of those books that have a great idea but couldn't put it together properly to make it great.
Odi
Apr 05, 2013 Odi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like the ending - very abrupt.
Beth (MrsGinTN)
Nov 21, 2010 Beth (MrsGinTN) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
FBC Category: natural disaster
Jill
Jan 08, 2009 Jill rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
couldn't get into. very slow.
Mary Fitzsimons
Aug 07, 2010 Mary Fitzsimons rated it really liked it
Love this series
Barrie
Jun 08, 2011 Barrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Night Vision
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • The Fifth Floor (Michael Kelly, #2)
  • Cold Case Squad (Craig Burch, #1)
  • Terror's Reach
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • The Nature Of The Beast
  • Key Weird
  • Murder and Salutations (A Card Making Mystery, #3)
  • Person of Interest
  • The Contrary Blues
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Drink the Tea
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...

Max Freeman (7 books)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)