Start by marking “Sunday Macaroni Club” as Want to Read:
Sunday Macaroni Club

Sunday Macaroni Club

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Newly repackaged and available for the first time in trade paperback, The Sunday Macaroni Club is a magnificently told story by a powerful author. Steve Lopez gives readers a vivid and rich portrait of local politics gone amok, and one woman's quest for happiness and fulfillment. Fleeing a disastrous love affair in Boston, Assistant District Attorney Lisa Sayitch -- beauti ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Plume (first published June 2nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Sunday Macaroni Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunday Macaroni Club

Wendy Wilkins Valdez
I felt like I was reading today's headlines with this book!! It was amazing how many things it had within its storyline that are current and ongoing problems (corrupt AG, local politicians, ward bosses, etc.) I was surprised to see it was written 20 years ago - showing that in Philly (and PA) nothing at all really changes despite their rallying cries.
Mel
Mary
from Uncle Brian
Joe
May 30, 2009 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you didn't know that these guys were based on real Philadelphia politicos, wise-guys and the assorted wannabes of both, it would only be a little less funny. Lopez describes scenes that you know happened, in a way that doesn't make you want to be there, as much as make you want to tell people you were there.
It's all very "inside", but too real to be dismissed as caricature. There are probably guys in your city that you will think are guys you know, thanks to the personality of Lopez's writi
Robin Wright
May 07, 2016 Robin Wright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slow slow slow moving book!! I felt the whole book could have been written in 150 pages...I didn't get attached to characters till page 200. I don't recommend!
Doreva
Jun 22, 2010 Doreva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny book; filled with local Philadelphia color. It had me chuckling on the train. Fair warning: the book reveals some typical inner-city prejudices and the coarse language that goes along with them - this book is not for kids.
Cara Bregy
Dec 06, 2013 Cara Bregy rated it liked it
I enjoyed that it was set in Philly. so a nice home feel to it. the story was not bad, but sometimes it felt like a chunck of the story was missed.
Devalina
Jan 06, 2013 Devalina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I liked the dialogue and the Philadelphia scenery but that's pretty much it. Disappointing read since Third and Indiana was so good.
Adina
Jul 07, 2012 Adina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This book started well but then I lost interest. Too trite, too many Philly stereotypes. Didn't finish it.
Susan
Nov 06, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just fun to read.
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Heidi
Heidi added it
May 30, 2016
Jordi Ramirez
Jordi Ramirez rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Bridget Hopper
Bridget Hopper rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Maile
Maile rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Jye
Jye marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mkrreads1112
Mkrreads1112 rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Kim
Kim added it
Sep 07, 2015
Judy Chin
Judy Chin marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015