Start by marking “Land of Giants: Where No Good Deed Goes Unpunished” as Want to Read:
Land of Giants: Where No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Land of Giants: Where No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The best of Steve Lopez's Inquirer columns are now together in a wonderful book. Now you can share Steve's refreshingly candid views in one volume. See for yourself why his readers love him and his targets wish he were almost anywhere else. One of the guiding principles of the column for Steve Lopez is: "H. L. Mencken once described his mission as a journalist this way: Co ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Camino Books (first published June 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Land of Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of Giants

Anthony SanFilippo
Jul 25, 2007 Anthony SanFilippo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who ever lived in or near Philadelphia
Steve Lopez was my idol growing up.

He was a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and he pulled no punches when it came to his subjects.

But he did something that in journalism is frowned upon...

He wrote in the first person often, and he wrote conversationally.

I tried to model my writing after him from Day One.

Heck, if your a good storyteller, people will listen. Even if it's in print. So, why not write as you speak?

It's got me where I am today and I have no plans on changing how I write, no m
Marci
Steve Lopez was a Columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer in the 80's and 90's. Very quick witted, he gave Philadelphia politicins a run for their money. A good trip down memory lane. It struck me that as bad as we think things are now, the same stuff was going on then ... Some measure of comfort in that or down right depressing?
Trisha
I'm not familiar with the names and faces behind government corruption in Philadelphia in the 80's and therefore did not really get into this book. Abandoned it halfway through. Seems like a really exciting time and lots of wrongdoing was exposed, but I couldn't get into it personally.
Amaris
I wish such a hilarious, acerbic columnist still was writing for the Inky. No better way to tell truth to power than to make your readers bust a gut laughing one day and move your readers to tears another day.
Amanda
Steve wrote about the reality of Philadelphia. He focused on the AIDS community and brought his friendship and compassion to my family. If you read carefully, one of those columns is included.
Larry Berthold
a treasure of commentary and humanity.
Audrey L. Martin Khan
Audrey L. Martin Khan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Hilary Daniels
Hilary Daniels marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Laura added it
Mar 26, 2014
Ogdub515
Ogdub515 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Tom Nailor
Tom Nailor marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Laur
Laur marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Anthony Cornatzer
Anthony Cornatzer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Mukhabbat
Mukhabbat marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2012
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2011
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2010
Tracie
Tracie added it
Jul 27, 2010
The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music Third and Indiana The Sunday Macaroni Club: A Novel In the Clear Dreams and Schemes: My Decade of Fun in the Sun