Start by marking “The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques” as Want to Read:
The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques
Preview

The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  23 reviews
With the aid of photographs and diagrams, this text concisely presents concepts and techniques of motion picture camerawork and the allied areas of film-making with which they interact with and impact. Included are discussions on: cinematic time and space; compositional rules; and types of editing.
Published August 3rd 2005 by Silman-James Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Five C's of Cinematography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five C's of Cinematography

Scott Rosenkrantz
It's rather dense (~244 pages), but it's still one of the best books on cinematography I've read so far. It equips the cinematographer with a better understanding of why certain visual/technical choices work over others. The final chapter on Composition is simply amazing, and the conclusion feels like Mascelli's attempt to impart every single piece of wisdom to his students before we're released into the unexplored yonder.

I tried reading this book before I entered film school, and for whatever
Jason
There is not a single wasted word, example or illustration in this book. It is jam-packed with practical insight, technique, and tastefulness. Even if you don't intend to work in this medium, this book will enrich the way you watch film, etc.
Sai Vignesh Krishnamoorthy
You need to know the rule in order to break the rule.

Well, you can learn to do both with this book. This probably is the best I can suggest for any aspiring cinematographer/photographer. For a photographer, this book adds a whole new dimension to his compositions and for a cinematographer, this book is a bible. Buy this book, spend some time over it and enter into a world of totally different perspective when you see your camera again.
Michael
Dec 04, 2008 Michael is currently reading it
At first I was thrown off by the overlapping ideas of the 5 c's (it should be 4 c's, I think at this point) but its turning out to be very informative.
Sharad Kaplingad
Everything you need to know of cinematography is there in this book. A Bible for cinematographers.
Yasser Mohammed
A good starting book for Cinematography
Olivia
This book is rich with insights. For any filmmakers, I strongly recommend this book!

The two sections that I learnt most from was continuity and composition. I've come to understand why actors have to enter and leave the frame on certain side, and how relationships can be established on screen. I've learnt to appreciate how important it is to create depth within the two-dimensional frame, so as to create a three-dimensional illusion on the screen. This later point is the greatest learning point f
Susan Phelan
Nice, basic overview. It is old and I am not a cinematographer, so I am guessing there are new techniques and rules, but I'm thinking most of the basics are still the basics and that is all I wanted.
Mike Calla
Apr 11, 2015 Mike Calla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone involved in moving images
Plain and simple, THE BIBLE of framing and blocking!
Manon
its awasome
Zybinjohn
i wnt to read
Angen
Jul 07, 2014 Angen added it
i need this book
Tripp / Smash
If you're at all interested in the complexities of visual style as it pertains to film, this book is terrific.

Not only does it break down the entire process of cinematic structure, it gives a clear visual representation of each category. That knowledge is priceless when you pick up a motion picture camera for the first time.
Harry Pray IV
Jan 08, 2008 Harry Pray IV marked it as to-read
a book entitled, "The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques" has got to suck...doesn't it?
Liston Morris
An incredible book about everthing you need to know about cinematography. This is an ultimate guide to using a camera.
Ed David
This is the definate book on Cinematography - these are the rules. Learn them then you can break them.
Snuf
This is a valuable book for all DP's, Directors and editors.
Nischal Bajrachrya
It's great book which can make you better
Srinivas
i like cinematogrphy
Jennifer Meyer
Recommended for illustrators
Rajiv Chanchlani
tttttttttttttttttttt
Ernestīne Pavlova
Ernestīne Pavlova marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
David Hogan
David Hogan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen
  • Directing Actors
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • The Visual Story: Creating the Visual Structure of Film, TV and Digital Media
  • Painting With Light
  • In the Blink of an Eye
  • Notes on the Cinematographer
  • Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting and Selling Your Script
  • The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age
  • Cinematography for Directors: A Guide for Creative Collaboration
  • The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap
  • Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
Mascelli's Cine Workbook التكوين في الصورة السينمائية L'abc della ripresa cinematografica