Mamma's Boarding House

Mamma's Boarding House

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A humorous novel full of eccentric characters and their adventures in a Utah boarding house, Fitzgerald's sequel to his enormously popular, Papa Married A Mormon. A scarce Fitzgerald title.
Published 1958 by Prentice-Hall

To ask other readers questions about Mamma's Boarding House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mamma's Boarding House

Christopher Bunn
John Dennis Fitzgerald is an American treasure. He wrote consistently excellent books with his Great Brain series, a sequence of books about the Fitzgerald family who lived in Adenville, Utah. The mixed Mormon-Protestant/Catholic setting of Adenville provides a colorful and poignant background for the escapades of Tom Fitzgerald, his family and friends.

His Great Brain series are definitely books you'll want in your child's library. They're that rare sort of middle-grade fiction that is written s...more
Bridget
This one gets five stars even though it's not as good as Papa Married a Mormon. I was just so happy to be back in Adenville with all those lovely people again. The stories are just as good, but the author's brother Tom is kind of on the periphery, which takes a little of the fun out of it all.
nymfaux
From my blog: (\__/)nymfaux

This book begins where Papa Married a Mormon left off. Clearly my grade school chronology was off. Not only was Mamma’s Boarding House the second book, but there was a third, Uncle Will and the Fitzgerald Curse, that came before the children’s series. It turns out that the children’s series was actually begun as the fourth book of the adult series. It was a matter of timing, a decline in interest in adult books of this nature, mixed with in-house publishing reorganizin...more
Alanna
Finally getting my hands on this book after having read Papa Married a Mormon and all of The Great Brain books felt like hanging out with old friends again. Adenville is just as charming as ever, and it's impossible not to love Mamma and her ability to bring out the best in everybody. Papa was missed, of course, and I wish Tom (aka, the Great Brain) would have been in the novel more. But it was still an absolute delight to read.
Melody
I liked this installment a lot better than I liked the first of Fitzgeralds's family histories, Papa Married a Mormon.

The writing was better, the characters more finely drawn, and the events recounted were so interesting. And sometimes tragic, indeed. It made me feel like I was part of the extended family. Again, Uncle Will was a favorite- I'm looking forward to reading Fitzgerald's bio of him, and then I think I'll be moving on to the Great Brain books.

Recommended, if you like this sort of thin...more
Jackie
Fun book about a woman who open a boarding house in the semi-wild west after her husband dies.
Chrisanne
More of the old west, but not as quirky as the original. I suppose what it is really lacking is the sweet old-fashioned romance that was introduced between "Papa" and "Mama" in the first one. The old characters are back but it is a little dusty and dry. Still it's nice to know what happened to the old friends(more or less).
Ellie Leonard
This is the second in the series by John D. Fitzgerald. Though it is a great book, it is often very hard to find. This is the life of Tina Fitzgerald, after her husband has died. She begins her own business, and starts a boarding house. All of the characters who move into her home each have their own story.
Traci
Just as wonderful as the first book, Papa Married a Mormon. I LOVE these books. This one has all the warmth and humor and honesty as the first. Every page was real and made me chuckle or cry. I only wish he'd continued his family's story; what an amazing group of people!
Dahlene
I love John Fitzgerald books. They are so funny. This was a sequel to Papa Married a Mormon. It was not as funny as the first, but still fun to read. Very entertaining. Does anyone have a copy of the one about Uncle Will? It is almost impossible to find.
Jen
Not as good as Papa Married a Mormon, but still good. The whole series soured for me when I realized how much literary license the author took. It's fine, as long as you know that going in. But to find out right after you read them...
Jewel
Absolutely delightful. Very interesting cast of characters. Some one please digitize his books so I can read them on Kindle! Where can I find "Uncle Will and the Fitzgerald Curse"?
Cindy
This was ssort of slow and the [pace was not easy to tolerate. I kept reading and waiting for all the action promised in the bi-info but it was all pretty lame.
Anthony Ventrello
Although not as entertaining as "Papa Married a Mormon", like all of John D. Fitzgerald's books, it is still a joy to read. Hard to find, but well worth the search.
Tdraut18
Fun, quick read. Vivid writing that really grabs you and brings you into the story. If you liked the "Great Brain" books, you'll definitely enjoy this.
Amber
Oh how I loved this book! I can't get enough of Mamma, Queenie,, Uncle Will, Earnie, and all the rest. Now I need to reread all the Great Brain books.
Mary
I had never read this one and I loved it as well. Love John D. Fitzgerald's style and I enjoy historical fiction in general.
Aaron
This was a great book that made me proud of my home state. I would recommend John D. Fitzgerald to anyone.
NC
sequel to Papa Married a Mormon. More delightful stories. A great world to visit.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kayli
Kayli marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Robyn Lakamsani
Robyn Lakamsani marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sindhuja Selvam
Sindhuja Selvam marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
OFFICIAL WEBSITE REFERENCED REPORTS:
John Dennis Fitzgerald was born in Price, Utah, on February 3, 1906, to Thomas and Minnie Melsen Fitzgerald. His father had a pharmacy degree but engaged in a number of business ventures and served on the Price Town Council for four years. John graduated from Carbon High School and at the age of eighteen and left Utah to pursue a career as a jazz drummer. He wo...more
More about John D. Fitzgerald...
The Great Brain (Great Brain #1) More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2) The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4) Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3) The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain #5)