Start by marking “Mamma's Boarding House” as Want to Read:
Mamma's Boarding House

Mamma's Boarding House

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A humorous novel full of eccentric characters and their adventures in a Utah boarding house, Fitzgerald's sequel to his enormously popular, Papa Married A Mormon. A scarce Fitzgerald title.
Published 1958 by Prentice-Hall

To ask other readers questions about Mamma's Boarding House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mamma's Boarding House

Christopher Bunn
John Dennis Fitzgerald is an American treasure. He wrote consistently excellent books with his Great Brain series, a sequence of books about the Fitzgerald family who lived in Adenville, Utah. The mixed Mormon-Protestant/Catholic setting of Adenville provides a colorful and poignant background for the escapades of Tom Fitzgerald, his family and friends.

His Great Brain series are definitely books you'll want in your child's library. They're that rare sort of middle-grade fiction that is written s
Bridget
Dec 02, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This one gets five stars even though it's not as good as Papa Married a Mormon. I was just so happy to be back in Adenville with all those lovely people again. The stories are just as good, but the author's brother Tom is kind of on the periphery, which takes a little of the fun out of it all.
J.S.
Aug 19, 2015 J.S. rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-ya
After the death of Papa, and with the children mostly grown and moving on with their own lives, Mamma decides to take on boarders, not only to support herself but to keep busy. John is the only one left at home and he changes his plans of going away to school to stay and help his mother. This is a collection of his stories/memories of that time, one or two of which I think are also told (although a bit differently) in his other books. And this one explains why you won't find Adenville on any map ...more
Ami
Feb 02, 2016 Ami rated it really liked it
While I didn't love this book as much as I loved its predecessor, Papa Married a Mormon, I did enjoy this sequel's look into the history of Utah during the early 1900's. It's easy to forget that Utah was a western state with its share of gunslingers, saloons, and mining towns, but this book reminds us of its rightful place in the wild West.
John D. Fitzgerald is one of those authors that offers us a rare glimpse into a past time and place. I adored his Great Brain books when I was younger and now
nymfaux
Jun 27, 2010 nymfaux rated it it was amazing
From my blog: (\__/)nymfaux

This book begins where Papa Married a Mormon left off. Clearly my grade school chronology was off. Not only was Mamma’s Boarding House the second book, but there was a third, Uncle Will and the Fitzgerald Curse, that came before the children’s series. It turns out that the children’s series was actually begun as the fourth book of the adult series. It was a matter of timing, a decline in interest in adult books of this nature, mixed with in-house publishing reorganizin
Alanna
Mar 24, 2014 Alanna rated it really liked it
Finally getting my hands on this book after having read Papa Married a Mormon and all of The Great Brain books felt like hanging out with old friends again. Adenville is just as charming as ever, and it's impossible not to love Mamma and her ability to bring out the best in everybody. Papa was missed, of course, and I wish Tom (aka, the Great Brain) would have been in the novel more. But it was still an absolute delight to read.
Janice
Mar 24, 2016 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This book was just as good as the first book, One of my top 10 favorite. We have purchased 2 copies now because every time I want to read it to someone it is loaned out. We have our own private little library. The nearest public library is 25 miles from us and we have no running vehicle at this time. My husband and I just finished reading it.
Katie Kwon
Jan 13, 2016 Katie Kwon rated it liked it
Melodramatic. For hard core Great Brain fans only. I liked it but wouldn't make a general recommendation, hence three stars.
Melody
Jul 16, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it
I liked this installment a lot better than I liked the first of Fitzgeralds's family histories, Papa Married a Mormon.

The writing was better, the characters more finely drawn, and the events recounted were so interesting. And sometimes tragic, indeed. It made me feel like I was part of the extended family. Again, Uncle Will was a favorite- I'm looking forward to reading Fitzgerald's bio of him, and then I think I'll be moving on to the Great Brain books.

Recommended, if you like this sort of thin
Jan
May 14, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Enjoyable. A piece of Utah history. Warm and fuzzy.
Nathan
Jul 13, 2015 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairwell to Adenville. What a town!
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it it was amazing
Just a great story! A timeless classic!
Jackie
Jan 30, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Fun book about a woman who open a boarding house in the semi-wild west after her husband dies.
Aubrey
Aug 04, 2016 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While fun, it's just not at the same level as Papa Married a Mormon or the Great Brain series. I missed Tom and really wished he'd been more involved. I also felt like having an adult narrator took away some of the charm that the other books had. It's still lovable, but it's not a favorite to return to again and again like the other Fitzgerald classics.
Chrisanne
More of the old west, but not as quirky as the original. I suppose what it is really lacking is the sweet old-fashioned romance that was introduced between "Papa" and "Mama" in the first one. The old characters are back but it is a little dusty and dry. Still it's nice to know what happened to the old friends(more or less).
Ellie Leonard
This is the second in the series by John D. Fitzgerald. Though it is a great book, it is often very hard to find. This is the life of Tina Fitzgerald, after her husband has died. She begins her own business, and starts a boarding house. All of the characters who move into her home each have their own story.
Traci
Feb 15, 2010 Traci rated it it was amazing
Just as wonderful as the first book, Papa Married a Mormon. I LOVE these books. This one has all the warmth and humor and honesty as the first. Every page was real and made me chuckle or cry. I only wish he'd continued his family's story; what an amazing group of people!
Dahlene
Nov 10, 2008 Dahlene rated it really liked it
I love John Fitzgerald books. They are so funny. This was a sequel to Papa Married a Mormon. It was not as funny as the first, but still fun to read. Very entertaining. Does anyone have a copy of the one about Uncle Will? It is almost impossible to find.
Jen
Mar 08, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Not as good as Papa Married a Mormon, but still good. The whole series soured for me when I realized how much literary license the author took. It's fine, as long as you know that going in. But to find out right after you read them...
Jewel
Dec 17, 2012 Jewel rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful. Very interesting cast of characters. Some one please digitize his books so I can read them on Kindle! Where can I find "Uncle Will and the Fitzgerald Curse"?
Cindy
Mar 22, 2011 Cindy rated it it was ok
This was ssort of slow and the [pace was not easy to tolerate. I kept reading and waiting for all the action promised in the bi-info but it was all pretty lame.
Anthony Ventrello
Apr 01, 2011 Anthony Ventrello rated it it was amazing
Although not as entertaining as "Papa Married a Mormon", like all of John D. Fitzgerald's books, it is still a joy to read. Hard to find, but well worth the search.
Tdraut18
Oct 15, 2011 Tdraut18 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read. Vivid writing that really grabs you and brings you into the story. If you liked the "Great Brain" books, you'll definitely enjoy this.
Amber
Nov 29, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Oh how I loved this book! I can't get enough of Mamma, Queenie,, Uncle Will, Earnie, and all the rest. Now I need to reread all the Great Brain books.
Mary
Nov 28, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
I had never read this one and I loved it as well. Love John D. Fitzgerald's style and I enjoy historical fiction in general.
Aaron
Nov 19, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that made me proud of my home state. I would recommend John D. Fitzgerald to anyone.
Nancy
Dec 28, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
sequel to Papa Married a Mormon. More delightful stories. A great world to visit.
Laura is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
hellokittyme
hellokittyme rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
  • Practically Perfect in Every Way
  • To School Through The Fields
  • Life in the Iron Mills and Other Stories
  • The Day I Became an Autodidact
  • Letting Go of the Reins: The True Story of a Man Who Left the Amish and the Woman Who Helped Him
  • Heart in the Right Place
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • Lincoln's Battle with God: A President's Struggle with Faith and What It Meant for America
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • The Good Shufu: Finding Love, Self, and Home on the Far Side of the World
  • As I Have Loved You
  • The Hills is Lonely
OFFICIAL WEBSITE REFERENCED REPORTS:
John Dennis Fitzgerald was born in Price, Utah, on February 3, 1906, to Thomas and Minnie Melsen Fitzgerald. His father had a pharmacy degree but engaged in a number of business ventures and served on the Price Town Council for four years. John graduated from Carbon High School and at the age of eighteen and left Utah to pursue a career as a jazz drummer. He wo
More about John D. Fitzgerald...