Blank-133x176
Outdoor Survival Skills

Larry Dean Olsen

Outdoor Survival Skills

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  15 reviews

How to survive in almost any outdoor environment with little or no purchased equipment, relying only on what nature provides.
Unknown Binding, 610 pages
Published January 1st 1973 by Brigham Young University Press (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Outdoor Survival Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outdoor Survival Skills

Karey
Jan 21, 2008 Karey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers and survivalists
Shelves: outdoor-fun
I just read this book again, or portions of it rather, last year. I've always been a bit of a nature geek, and as a teenager dreamt of living in the wild for a month. I made my own moccasins once, and I still feel as though I haven't quite lived my life's calling because I haven't made squirrel jerky, like this book describes. :) I used to have this book memorized, and one summer, just before my family left the natural park at Goblin Valley in the remote deserts of Utah, I realized I'd better ma...more
Zora
I've carried this book in my backpack or car or RV since 1980 or so. It has some useful information. I've -- for the heck of it -- learned a few of these skills, like making my own rope with the instructions here (though never to survive, just to learn it), and his explanations are clear enough to follow. Some of the information is outdated--water gathering techniques taught today say that some of what he suggests is too labor intensive for the return in water, and those cool little coins of com...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't a bad book and actually may be one of the more useful ones out there in some ways as it assumes you are stuck in a survival situation with no equipment at all. How do you make fire from scratch...how then do you carry a little smoldering ire with you so that you can be on the move without laboring over a drill and bow again tonight. (I live in hope that if I'm ever there I can use a lens from my glasses or something...a drill and bow is no easy thing.

I have an old copy...but it could...more
William Long
I read this when I was a teenager. I had lots of woods to play in growing up in New England. Thinking that World War III was imminent, this book and my mail order Rambo knife was to see me through. I'm rereading it now.
Kim
Larry Olsen is a wilderness guru!! When it comes to making your way in the great outdoors, he has blazed the trail. This book outlines many of his techniques for living off the land. Brilliant and insightful, I wish I had bought a version that wasn't so outdated. The sepia photos were sometimes difficult to decipher, and the message wasn't always clearly conveyed. Spend the extra cash and get a new and complete edition. It'll be worth it!
Norman
May 06, 2008 Norman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
I have really enjoyed this book though I'm sure there are some newer ones out there. I think I liked that the author is from Utah and his experiences are from this area. I have read this book many times over, it's worn out and needs to be replaced, and I carry it about every day with me as a back up for reading.
Emily
Larry Olsen was the forerunner of survivalist literature. The man is a primitive skills god. Maybe five stars is a little high......think of it more like four stars with an extra star for Robert Redford writing the foreword.
Bo
Useful knowledge for anyone. If taken metaphorically the psychological aspects can be applied, with difficulty, to urban survival.

"It's easy to be a holy man on top of a mountain." -The Razor's Edge
Rahadyan
I first read this about 18 years ago and I periodically re-read it to keep the information fresh in my head. It occupies a permanent place among my survival gear and reference books
Nancy
very informative! although i expect tanning an animal hide is slightly more difficult than it seems from the mere 8 pages of instructions offered in this book.
Chris
This is the first survival book my Dad ever gave me, and I am who I am today because of it. Thanks Dad...
Lara
I was fascinated with this book as a kid, mainly for fort-building purposes.
Tyson
Sweet book. Larry Olsen is a pioneer of the survivalist movement.
Timothy
...never did manage to make a fire with just sticks. :/
Mark
Great book for the basics of outdoor survival.
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
David Kuhn
David Kuhn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Anon Ymous
Anon Ymous marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nathan Benmargi
Nathan Benmargi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Christopher Brannaman
Christopher Brannaman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Glen Bonnet
Glen Bonnet marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014