Start by marking “Blue Goose” as Want to Read:
Blue Goose

Blue Goose

When Farmer Gray takes a trip, Blue Goose, Red Hen, Yellow Chick and White Duck decide to paint their black-and-white farm. Red Hen paints the barn red and White Duck paints the fence white. Then Blue Goose and Yellow Chick pour their paint together to make green for the grass and trees. By the time Farmer Gray comes back, the whole farm is full of color--what a wonderful ...more
Published January 8th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Blue Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Goose

Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonFooling Ewe by Mike DemersBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownStar of Wonder by Paige W. Pendleton
Farmyard Fun
23rd out of 139 books — 61 voters
A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.My Many Colored Days by Dr. SeussA Color of His Own by Leo LionniMouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh
Best Children's Books About Colors
47th out of 99 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Feb 21, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Farmer Gray goes away and Blue Goose, Red Hen, Yellow Chick and White Duck decide to paint the farm. Duck paints the fence white. Chick paints the flowers yellow. Hen paints the barn red. And Goose paints the roof blue. Then they start mixing colors to get purple, orange, green, etc. Farmer Gray returns to his bright colored farm, and then in the evening Blue Goose paints a wash of blue over everything as it turns dark.

It was that final touch of painting twilight over the farm that took this bo
Gwen the Librarian
Aug 12, 2008 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Nancy Tafuri's books are terrific for the toddler and pre-K set. This newest one is a great introduction to colors. A variety of animals live on a plain white farm. The different animals decide to help make it more colorful and go from primary colors to mixing new colors. Soon the farm is beautiful and colorful. This is one of my favorite color books.
Christy
Sep 15, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collin, reagan
This is a great book about colors and mixing colors. The story is cute too. Reagan loves this book. We borrowed it from the library but we may have to purchase this one because she asks for it constantly.
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it really liked it
Great book about colors and mixing primary colors to make secondary colors. My 2 year old adores this book and I've read it multiple times a day for almost 3 weeks. (So ready to take it back to the library.) :-P
Angela
Sep 02, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
What an original idea! The big bright pictures caught my baby's attention. Would be great for kids learning about colors and color mixing.
Kristie
Oct 02, 2008 Kristie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vocabulary, colors
A great, simple story that emphasizes primary colors as well as color mixing. Another win for Tafuri.
Mollie
Mar 20, 2009 Mollie rated it it was amazing
A staple in my book collection for my day care kids under three. Great way to teach kids about the primary colors and the possibilities of creating new colors for a barnyard.
babyhippoface
Apr 23, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: primary teachers, Art teachers
This is an extremely clever little book about color and the way the primary colors mix to create secondary colors. Every elementary library should have a copy of this title.
Sophie
Oct 01, 2009 Sophie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: baby
Recommended to Sophie by: miri
This is a really cute book.
Awesome for little kid
April
Nov 10, 2008 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: storyhour-books
Nancy Tafuri is very reliable. This was a good book to read aloud to storyhour.
Amanda
Sep 01, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Awesome book about colors and making secondary colors. Cute story and nice illustrations.
Amy Brown
Feb 13, 2008 Amy Brown rated it it was amazing
Good book for colors. Would be fun to use in storytime and also good to put on a toddler booklist.
Caroline
Oct 25, 2016 Caroline rated it it was ok
Animals decide to give their farm some color.

Jo-Ann
Fiction:
Mouse Paint
My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

Could also do a "Feeling Blue at the Library" theme:

Tune of "Happy and You Know It
If you are wearing red, shake your head
If you are wearing red, shake your head
If you are wearing red
Then please shake your head
I
Garren
Oct 05, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
I like the idea of a self-coloring book. Wish the text were a wee bit peppier for read-aloud.
David
Jan 13, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, colors
Blue Goose by Nancy Tafuri follows the fanciful actions of Blue Goose, Red Hen, Yellow Chick and White Duck who decide to paint their black-and-white farm while Farmer Gray is away on a trip.

White Duck paints the fence white and Yellow Chick paints the flowers yellow. Red Hen paints the barn red while Blue Goose paints the barn roof blue. Then paint mixing begins. Purple doors, orange shutters and light blue sky result. Blue Goose and Yellow Chick pour their paint together to make green for the
Emily
Jan 19, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Fairly standard, run-of-the-mill, basic color book. I've never personally seen a blue goose or orange shutters and a purple door on a barn, but just about anything goes color-wise in kids' books. My husband maintains that the size of the waddle on that hen makes it a rooster and when he reads the book he adjusts the text accordingly.

I like the inclusion of light blue - the combination of blue and white - which isn't very common in kids' color books that I've seen. Otherwise, nothing out of the o
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very cute book, but it didn't really hold my two year old son's attention. At the beginning of the book, you have a blue goose, a red hen, a yellow chick and a white duck. The background illustrations are black and white. The four animals decide to paint their barnyard. They start out with the three primary colors plus white. (The colors that correspond to the animals.) After they paint some things with those four colors, they decide to mix colors together to create other ...more
Oct 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
My kids really enjoy this book, the youngest for the animals and colorful artwork, the oldest because of the color, story line, and the concept of blending colors to make new colors. There is a chart of colors and what they make when they are mixed together; she loves going through this. Blue Goose is a fun book for teaching children about colors.
Something that I like about it is the joy that the animals receive from having created a beautiful surprise for their Farmer Gray by working together t
Elaine
Apr 25, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
A very good follow through story about primary and secondary colors.
In this tale, Blue Goose, Red Hen, Yellow Chick and White Duck decided to paint their barnyard. A lot of ideas were put together.

Throughout the story, participants during storytime followed through very well when asked to remember the different color occurances throughout the story. They answered correctly the simple activity afterwards. Overall, the book works very well in helping older preschoolers and younger kindergarten ki
IrenesBookReviews
Nov 04, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
Farmer Grey drives off in his truck to go to town. While he is gone the animals paint the farm in all the primary colors. The animals are Blue Goose, Red Hen, Yellow Chick and White Duck. They mix their colors to make other colors and the farm is done just in time for Farmer Greys return.

Your child can learn about mixing colors and creating new ones. I enjoyed how the colors the animals painted with match their body color. I also enjoyed how they painted the different farm objects those colors.
Kristen
This is a pretty basic colors book, but shorter than Mouse Paint, which made it great for my toddlers. I liked the way the different colors were introduced, and after reading it, it was fun to flip back to the first (all white) pages and show the kids the difference. That got some oohs and aahs.
Ariel Cummins
Dec 19, 2012 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It ain't a classic for nothin'! Blue goose, red hen, yellow chick, and white duck do an excellent job of painting the farm while Farmer Grey is away. Blue Goose even makes sure everything is painted blue when night falls (except, of course, the moon!)

Tafuri's illustrations feature bold lines, defined colors, and uncluttered pages that are developmentally appropriate and pretty.

Obviously a go-to story time book, especially for colors.
Russell
Sep 25, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it
Adorable story.

(view spoiler)
Camille
Jan 10, 2013 Camille rated it liked it
Although its just called Blue Goose, this book is about a crafty crew that also includes Red Hen, White Duck and Yellow Chick. They go around and add color to Farmer Gray's farm. This was a perfect title for toddler storytime. I got some wows when I turned to the vertical spread. That's always awesome.
Asho
This is another book about mixing primary colors to make secondary colors that was included in our Colors bundle from the library. I didn't find it particularly interesting. It's fun to watch the black and white pages fill up with color, but other than that it's a bit dull to read. My baby did like the simple colorful pictures, though.
Sandi Prescott
With Farmer Gray away, the animals decide to paint the farm. Red Hen, Yellow Chick, and White Goose use primary and secondary colors to add color to the gray farm. Good book to pair with Mouse Paint.
Meghan
I really enjoyed reading this book about the many different colored animals painting the farm with their colors. It helps to show what colors different objects are supposed to be while still being a really interesting story.
Tara
Mar 12, 2012 Tara rated it liked it
A good story for introducing colours. I like how the different colour animals cooperate to create new colours. I think this will be a good book to read my little guy when he's old enough to understand, but 3 months is a little too young!
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book. I love that it teaches kids that blending colors will make a new color.

Literacy skills:

Print motivation-this fun story with wonderful, bright illustrations will encourage children to love books.
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • White Rabbit's Colors
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • In a Blue Room
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-
More about Nancy Tafuri...