Start by marking “Sunrise with Seamonsters” as Want to Read:
Sunrise with Seamonsters

Sunrise with Seamonsters

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The journeys of Paul Theroux take place not only in exotic, unexpected places of the world but in the thoughts, reading, and emotions of the writer himself. A gathering of people, places, and ideas in fifty glittering pieces of gold.
Published June 13th 1985 by see notes for publisher info (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Sunrise with Seamonsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunrise with Seamonsters

David
A young Paul Theroux with all the makings of an important writer but too distracted by his own image of self-importance.
Stacie
Paul Theroux has recently become one of my favorite authors. It started a few months ago when I read his book Riding the Iron Rooster. I picked up this book in a thrift store for fifty cents, not knowing what a gem it was. It sat amongst my cluttered shelves for several years before I actually read it, not having anything else to read and being mildly intrigued. And what a trip it was. I had stumbled upon one of the best travel writers of the 20th century.

This is what led me to his anthology Sun
Robertisenberg
I have passively avoided Paul Theroux for years. Not for any reason, just that his books seemed like such an obvious choice. Also, I have always invented a false rivalry between Theroux and Bruce Chatwin, a similarly big-hit commercial travel writer who also wrote prolifically for magazines. I had such a soft spot for Chatwin and his strangely debonair lifestyle that I couldn't imagine falling for Theroux the same way. Theroux's books were more commercial, I felt, never having read them. They al ...more
Judy
This is a wonderfully varied collection of - essays, I suppose. Pieces Theroux wrote 'to pay the bills' over a period of 20 years, 1964-84. They originally appeared in publications ranging from The Christian Science Monitor to The New York Times to The Telegraph Magazine and a whole lot more in between.

They show what a versatile writer he is and how his writing developed in that time. Some pieces are classic Theroux observations of place and people, scene and season; I will never tire of these.
Shantanoo Desai
This book is absolutely a random favourite. I found this book lying unnoticed during a University free shop, and whoever left this book I must thank him/her for it is an absolute beauty in terms of the perspective which is termed "Retro". The articles in the book just take you back into the 70's and 80's when the world and it's countries were a different scenario all together.
The author and his travel experience just pumps you with exuberance and makes you realize that there was definitely a Vi
Martha
These essays were written in the '70s and '80s and are on a wide variety of subjects, all with Theroux's distinctive take on things. I find his analytical observations and sometimes prickly opinions make for engaging reading. I almost always get a take on something that I hadn't had before. And I'd say you have to already know and like Theroux to appreciate this book.
Tucker
This is the first I have read by PT. He is a really good writer. It is remarkable how clearly he writes even while discussing the shockingly personal and almost a stream of consciousness. At the end of each piece I felt that I really knew Paul, what sort of man he is and what motivates him. Some of the pieces involve current events from decades ago -- I lack so much context that I couldn't enjoy them as much as I am sure others have. Mostly though, he writes about characters in his life, literat ...more
Miguel
Mais um livro extraordinário do Paul Theroux. Com o subtítulo Travels and Discoveries, o livro é uma colectânea de textos escritos entre 1964 e 1984, de índole e temática diversa, mas que, na maior parte das vezes, vai parar às viagens (passe o oxímoro). Alguns dos textos, nomeadamente os que se prendem com os caminhos de ferro e viagens de comboio, estão entre a melhor prosa que já li do autor.
Merek
One of those books that's been sitting on my shelf for a number of years that I've barely touched. Theroux's accounts of his travels in Afghanistan and Malawi - just to name a couple - in the 1970s provide exciting glimpses of Asia and Africa during this period. Funny how you can get the travel bug from tales of dictatorial regimes and third world chaos.
J
I've not read every last essay in this book, but it is a wonderful collection of 'Theroux-ness' in bite sized bits. Of course, as I am beset by nostalsia it is painful to read about things as they were onl 30-40 years ago. I remember a recent interview in which he regretfully reminised about once saying he would have been happy to retire to Pakistan.
Pedro Fragoso
Early Theroux, already extremely worth. Loved the book reviews and the texts about authors, will explore some early last century classics following this. Tells the origin of the title for The Great Railway Bazaar.
Anita
An entertaining mixed bag of essays. Gave me some ideas of future books to read, and made me think some thoughts about writing, photography, travel, and trains. Also I am now jealous of Paul Theroux's family. Thanks, Paul.
I've read and loved several of his short stories and couldn't wait to read his early travel writing and Peace Corps experiences, but I just couldn't get into these essays. Maybe I'll try again later...
Catrien Deys
It is always a shame to finish one of this author's book, fortunately he wrote a lot and still does and in this collection he reviews other writers that so become must reads too.
Jim
A collection of writing that often makes me feel that if I could be an author, I'd like to be able to write like this!
Erin
Well-written, but a bit flat. This is a collection of essays so it's not a page-turner.
John
good travel book with much about other books and authors. great
Tuck
early paul theroux, has his peace corp times here too.
Phyllis
essays by one of my favorite writers.
Hindym
Hindym added it
May 26, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
HalcyonDaze
HalcyonDaze marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
  • The Gentleman in the Parlour: A Record of a Journey from Rangoon to Haiphong
  • The Lost Heart of Asia
  • In Xanadu: A Quest
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure
  • Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
  • Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars
  • Travels: Collected Writings, 1950-1993
  • Sahara Unveiled: A Journey Across the Desert
  • The Fellowship of Ghosts: A Journey Through the Mountains of Norway
  • Bruce Chatwin
  • African Silences
  • A Turn In The South
Paul Edward Theroux is an American travel writer and novelist, whose best known work is The Great Railway Bazaar (1975), a travelogue about a trip he made by train from Great Britain through Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, through South Asia, then South-East Asia, up through East Asia, as far east as Japan, and then back across Russia to his point of origin. Although perhaps best know ...more
More about Paul Theroux...
The Great Railway Bazaar Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town The Mosquito Coast Riding the Iron Rooster The Old Patagonian Express: By Train Through the Americas