Start by marking “Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years

Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years

Nobody knows better than Bruce Sterling how thin the membrane between science fiction and real life has become, a state he correctly depicts as both thrilling and terrifying in this frisky, literate, clear-eyed sketch of the next half-century. Like all of the most interesting futurists, Sterling isn t just talking about machines and biochemistry: what he really cares about ...more
Published December 17th 2002 by Random House (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow Now

Bill Ahern
It started out really strong, and particularly prophetic considering that it has been in print for 7 years now, which is an era or two in technology terms. Towards the end, beginning with the chapters about the middle east, I felt that it got off track; the three (real life) characters were definitely interesting, but I had no idea what they had to do with technology or even the contemporary culture of information (the events took place in the early 90's).

I did enjoy the book, but at a little ov
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jul 08, 2012 Michael Burnam-Fink rated it it was amazing
This is the Real Deal. Pure uncut Bruce Sterling without any of those messy complications of plot or character or setting. The Chairman just sits down and tells you what he thinks The Future is going to look like. If you don't have the right constitution for it, you might OD and throw the book across the room with a cry of "What pretentious shit!" But if your mind is open and flexible (and you've already drunk the kool-aid), this book will rock your socks.

Sterling structures this book around the
Chris Ziesler
Days of Future Past

Reading a book about the future that was written a decade ago is an interesting exercise in time travel. It turns out that many of the trends that Sterling perceived in the early 2000s are alive and growing ten years on.

Bruce Sterling has a well-deserved reputation as a futurist whose imaginative grasp is more eclectic and far-reaching than most. In Tomorrow Now Sterling sets out to delineate the outline of how the world might look in the next 50 years.

What sets Tomorrow Now a
Ryan
Jul 13, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Tomorrow Now is an expansive look at the next fifty years by sci-fi novelist Bruce Sterling. The book's premise is intriguing, but the execution is hit-and-miss.

Sterling's writing style is reminiscent of Tom Friedman (Lexus and the Olive Tree, The World is Flat, etc.), which drove me mildly insane as I read the book. Both authors heavily rely on gimmicky initial caps to drive home Important Concepts, as if trademarking new terms mid-sentence. Far worse, these Important Concepts were mixed into s
Natalie
What an interesting and informative book! It was not at all what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it none the less. Bruce Sterling takes a break from science fiction to write a non-fiction book about the future. From genetics to blobjects to the New World Disorder to the infocalypse to the Sixth Mass Extinction, Sterling touches on so many different aspects of what the future will be like. It deserves the awards that it has won.
Todd
Apr 15, 2016 Todd rated it liked it
Reasonably thought provoking, and prescient in a number of ways (this book is what, something like 14 years old now, so we're a good chunk of the way along that 50 year timeline), but very uneven and ultimately quite thin in places. The good parts are great, but there are a lot of areas that aren't really up to snuff.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Sep 16, 2011 Brendan McAuliffe rated it liked it
It's almost like the future is writing itself to Sterling's specifications sometimes. He also specifically mentioned ' ... HIV in the blood supply ' as an indicator of ' a radical level of postindustrial instability ' ( Which is how , in the end , I look at it too now )
Joe
Mar 31, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok
Futurist writing just isn't my thing. I've never read this guy's fiction, but the writing style here was really frustrating. Many convoluted sentences that used a ton of words to say nothing. Not for me.
Derek
Jan 22, 2012 Derek rated it it was ok
There seemed to be more history than any predictions of the future. Other than a brief but interesting view of biotechnology, I didn't find anything that brought forth ideas that might appear in the next 50 years.
SL
Dec 07, 2011 SL rated it really liked it
Whoa! This was great, despite me being a bit behind the curve reading it in 2011...Bruce is a visionary, a true futurist. This is nonfiction - not SF but actual futurism.
Rory
Feb 20, 2013 Rory rated it really liked it
A mixed book. Not sure I "get" or agree with most of it. But it's a view, and a worthy one, to hold in one's head with the others, as one figures out where we are and where we're going.
Annie
May 31, 2009 Annie rated it liked it
Bruce Sterling is a fascinating futurist with interesting dazzling speculations about our world that gave pause
Dave Peticolas
Sterling is the best sort of futurist. Neither wide-eyed with wonder, nor sounding the drumbeat of doom, he just seems to geniunely want to figure out what is coming next. And he's funny, too.
Ihor Kolesnyk
Aug 05, 2015 Ihor Kolesnyk rated it really liked it
Цікава книга для тих, хто любить футурологію, фантастику та Стерлінга як письменника. І для тих, хто хоче порівняти прогноз із сучасною ситуацією.
Michael Pack
Michael Pack rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Steven Patterson
Steven Patterson rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Joel Benford
Joel Benford rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2015
Marco Massa
Marco Massa rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Gerald Lucas
Mar 22, 2008 Gerald Lucas rated it liked it
Shelves: futurism
Some great stuff here, especially his introduction and chapter on germtech.
Geoffrey Brown
Geoffrey Brown rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Todd S
Todd S rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Adam Janusz
Adam Janusz rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2010
Dan Renaud
Dan Renaud rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Rei
Rei rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Xander Davis
Xander Davis rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Alexander Pico
Alexander Pico rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2010
Artem
Artem rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Robert Meyer
Robert Meyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Jedimentat
Jedimentat rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in Counter-Culture
  • Nomad Codes: Adventures in Modern Esoterica
  • The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man
  • Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law
  • Storyteller: Writing Lessons & More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • One Human Minute
  • Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed (I.O. Evans Studies in the Philosophy & Criticism of Literature 5)
  • Manhood of Humanity
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • The Adding Machine: Selected Essays
  • Mediated: How the Media Shapes Your World and the Way You Live in It
  • Capitalism: As If the World Matters
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...

“Getting what you want is a serious matter. It is far more transformative than frustration.” 0 likes
“Sustainability is never a static goal. It can only be a process.” 0 likes