Ceguera Asesina (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)

Ceguera Asesina (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  2,688 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Dr. Laurie Montgomery, a forensic pathologist, investigates a series of fatal""overdoses"" and uncovers an underground black market transplant business.
Published August 1st 1998 by Plaza & Janes Editores, S.A. (first published January 1st 1992)

Ricardo Mendes

Depois de ter visto a mini-série baseada no livro Coma de Robin Cook e produzida pelos irmãos Scott, que desde já a visualização é expressamente obrigatória aos fãs de Cook, ficou claro como água que tinha de ler alguma obra deste autor.

Esta leitura foi iniciada com altas expectativas que não foram totalmente desfraldadas mas não conseguiu surpreender da forma esperada, talvez pelo enredo simples e quase previsível Cocaína não se impôs na minha lista de thrillers preferidos.

Contudo recomendo vi...more
Brett Tompkins
I bought this book new when it was on clearance and it has been sitting on my bookshelf for 18 years or so. I don't know why I put it off so long; I think I forgot how much I like Robin Cook's books. So, I finally decided to try and get some of the older books off the bookshelf, and started with this one. This book was fantastic! It combined a pathologist, opthamologist, police detective, and some organized crime thugs into a very interesting and page turning story.

I entered the military only a...more
Jaspreet
I read this book to fulfill the medical condition category of a reading challenge and wish that I had not wasted my time. One of the most frustrating things about this book for me was that it was recommended to me by a librarian. I visited the public library in my new home town for the first time and decided to ask for a recommendation. I was a little skeptical when I picked up the book, but I thought that I should be open minded. Turns out that it is possible to be so open minded that your brai...more
Karthik
The book started off well but turned out to be quite predictable in the end and moreover the quarrels between the lead characters were so repetitive and juvenile that it became irritating towards the end!
Carol Waters
This set of medical people don't have federal confidentiality standards? And cocaine makes you want to crawl into a refrigerator to cool off? Hmm, after 30 years as an addictions counselor that's a new one on me. Oh, and it took the forensic specialist 300 pages to learn a (spoiler) clue that she should have gotten by the second dead body...... Too much formula, not enough suspense. Every stereotype in the book in this book.

The most interesting thing about this book is that there are at least t...more
Elizabeth
Pretty good. This is definitely for fans of medical thrillers and mysteries. This story chronicles the detective work of Laurie, a medical examiner in New York, as she struggles to figure out the reasons behind the growing number of overdose cases with the same profile. Yet no one believes her that something is wrong: her boss tells her to shut up and look the other way as he tries to cover up the OD symptoms for public appearance reasons; her police ally refuses to care about spoiled rich young...more
Thomas Hart
i really enjoyed this book. it is the only robin cook book i have read as of right now. is this is similar to his others writings, i'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.
this book gave me an insight to the mafia that i didn't have prior to reading it.
i thought it was brilliant the way everything was tied together throughout the entire book. the only thing that threw me off was all the medical jargon and terms that i didn't understand. it wasn't really all that big of deal, but ther...more
Lauren
A unique mix of romance, corpses, limousines, and mafia. Blindsight by Robin Cook. The main character Dr. Laurie Montgomery is a forensic pathologist fairly new to New York’s medical examiner’s office. Nevertheless she has become quite familiar with drug overdoses during her stint. However, when three victims of drug overdoses come through the medical examiner’s office in a matter of days, a red flag is raised because these aren’t the typical victims of overdoses, but rather wealthy and successf...more
Víctor
Una novela negra con un enfoque forense que resulta inusual y entretenido, pero no mucho más. La complejidad del argumento no merece más de un 5 sobre 10, pues aunque resulta refrescante, su simpleza permite prever el desenlace desde antes de la mitad del libro. Por ello resultaría demasiado extensa si no fuera por las escenas de acción típicas de la mafia neoyorquina que aderezan una investigación lenta y oscilante llevada a cabo por unos personajes principales sosos y estereotipados.

La lectura...more
Rohit Jaini
A medical masterpiece from Mr. Cook. One of the best thrillers read in the recent times. The author has cleverly taken two far from being related tales and juxtaposed them just the perfect way! A drug overdose trail and gangland style assassinations clogging the Medical examiner's office with either protagonist having their theories on one each. It's only at the end do we see how these two incomparable string of murders are so implausibly connected. For this the author should be grandly applaud...more
Elizabeth Lehto
Interesting book. The plot was a little slow in places, and the action at the end I felt could have been giving more pages to even out some of the slower points in the book. I've read some of his more recent work, so it was fun to go back to where Laurie Montgomery is introduced and get more of her background story. However, knowing what happens to her in later books made some of the sections about her personal life read really slowly. I do wish the epilogue had been longer and had explained a b...more
Happy
Hmmmmm ok, this is better than the last two: Chromosome and Coma.
Steve
Slow. Unengaging. Didn't connect to characters other than somewhat to main character.
Dina
Robin Cook writes a good novel from the perspective of two of my favorite types: the homicide detective and the medical examiner. Both are ethical and moral characters competing against opposite types. They are dogged and intelligent, which is why the one missing piece of the puzzle that doesn't get discovered until the end is a let-down. It doesn't make sense that supposedly competent professionals would forget to check a very important piece of information, over and over again throughout the a...more
Poonam
Just finished reading the third book by Robin Cook.Before reading this book,I had read the seventh book of this (Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery) series. So am curious to read the first part of this series,about How Laurie met Jack , something like that.

I like how Laurie and Lou Soldano interact with each other through out the story.I couldn't put the book, was wanting to know who was responsible behind these horrible crimes.Like the ending.:)

Am slowly becoming a fan of medical thrillers/su...more
Toni Stastny
Barbara Huskey
Ultimately I enjoyed reading this book. It kept me interested and quickly turning pages, even though I figured out the mystery aspect very early on, so it was rather predictable. I hope that the series gets better as the author gets more experienced. I've read some of his other books that were really good. This one was decent, but not great. I think a 2.5 stars would be more reflective of my opinion.
Rena Searles
Good page-turner! The heroine is a forensic pathologist who works for the medical examiner's office in Manhatten. Her honesty and integrity lead her into a lot of trouble at work and the termination of her employment because she makes the connections while all around her are blind to them. Her character seems a bit naïve and not street-wise for New York, but it was a fun read anyhow.
Oscar Galvez
Great book! The last 110 pages were riveting. From romance to forensics, this book had it all. Dr. Cook did a great job in keeping me entertained throughout the book. The main character in the book, Dr. Laurie Montgomery, played an interesting role from doctor to investigator. I would definitely pick up another Dr. Robin Cook book in the near future.
Kumar Shiva
Really fun read. I never believed that medical fiction could be this enjoyable. Robin Cook is one of my new favs. His simple but pacy writing makes this cocaine mafia thriller a crazy page turner. The climax though was abrupt and simple, especially after the early maverick start. The climax the reason for it losing a star. The prologue stands out!!
Jessie
I read this book because I needed to read a thriller. I thought I might like Robin Cook because I like medical stuff and forensics, but the writing in this book was terrible and I figured out the entire plot about forty pages into the book. Maybe some of Cook's writing is better, but this is certainly not one of his best.
Jeanne Jenkins
This was a good crime novel IF you like to hear all about autopsies. The mail character is a medical examiner. It is set in New York City. There were more dead people than you could shake a stick at. Actually, it was a pretty good plot. Lots of bad guys, a few good guys, and an ending that will catch you off guard.
Yvette
This was kinda slow moving for half the book, as the details to the storyline were very intricately weave together. As the end neared and the mystery fell into to place the pace definitely picked up. I enjoyed the book overall especially the diabolical plot !!!!
A Goodread....
Suby
The book's theme is same as that of 'Coma' by the same author - organ theft. Treatment of the subject as a medical thriller too is similar. The detailed description of the post-mortem procedure that repeats itself all through the book is gruesome! Still very much readable.
Carolyn
Robin Cook always writes books that the situations can possibly be real life. This book is no exception. The topic of organ transplants is as real today as it was years ago and some people to go to any lengths to get what they need. A real page turner. A definite GOOD READ.
Elizabeth Bingham
Very good - although I guessed what was going on about 2/3 of the way through..it had less to do with his storytelling abilities than with my dork levels...

much better than some of his others...i actually found the characters intriguing..
Katie
The first Robin Cook book I read was Marker and I really enjoyed it. I loved this story too, but there were moments that really annoyed me regarding the main character Laurie. It won't stop me from reading more, she's not like Bella Swan thank goodness!
Amy
I'm not sure why people like Robin Cook's horror/thriller books. I read this and one could barely make it through. The writing is terrible. I doubt I would try another one of hers unless someone I really respected highly recommended it. Ug.
Maurean

Robin Cook is a great suspense author, and this medical conspiracy is about organ transplants and how one keeps the supply side up to meet the demand, and what happens when Dr. Laurie Montgomery (a forensic pathologist) learns the answer!
Becky Torretta
Similar style as "Coma" though the characters and their relationships were difficult to relate to/care about. Good read in that you had to keep turning the pages and try to figure out the mystery of the cases with Laurie and Lou.
  • Critical Judgment
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Implant
  • Mistress of Justice
  • Cold Plague
  • Life Support
  • The Day Trader
  • The Eleventh Plague
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion