Start by marking “Choc” as Want to Read:
Choc

Robin Cook

Choc

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,853 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Robin Cook, master of bestselling medical thrillers, answers the "What's the worst thing that could happen?" question in this plot-twisting novel in which villains with no sense of ethics or social responsibility get their greedy hands on the newest cloning technology. It starts when a couple of Harvard graduate students answer the Wingate Clinic's ad for egg donors. The w ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 2004 by Livre de Poche (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Choc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choc

Terri Lynn
Robin, Robin, Robin, what the hell was going on with you when you were writing this? Were you off your meds? Past deadline and feeling lazy? Going through a drunken spell?

The word Shock describes how I felt reading this. I like the idea behind it but the execution was really sloppy. I suspect even some of the characters were shocked at finding themselves in this book.

Joanna Meissner and her room mate Deborah Cochrane are in a PhD program at Harvard. Joanna is an economics/computer systems major
Hannah
Nov 10, 2009 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up in a hotel I was staying in (the previous occupant had left it, and the staff had kindly left it for the next patron), and finished only because of the sense of obligation I feel to myself when I get more than ten pages into anything.

Shock was terrible. The exposition was awful, the dialogue atrocious, physically cringe-worthy, and the whole format and arc had the feeling of a trashy midday movie.

Cook has many books published, and if they are all as poor as Shock, I am des
Sukanya Sengupta
I was highly disappointed after reading this book! I never expected such a below average work from Robin Cook! First of all, the story is totally baseless and the end of the story a complete disaster. When I started reading the book, the first 50 pages were interesting. (Spoiler alert from now on) After that I couldn't figure out why would any two Harvard Phd grads go way out of their way and break laws to gain certain information which wouldn't have changed their life anyhow, except for mental ...more
Goldenwattle
This book started off well and had it stayed like this I would have given it a 3. But the main characters' inane talk and unbelievably stupid behaviour earned it a 2. They're trying to escape, but stop to examine things and engage in inane talk. Oh come on, this is not believable I wanted to shout. Then they go to visit a doctor for help. Again I wanted to shout, "He's one of them. And don't be so thick and get in that boot of the car." We were told the characters were intelligent, but shown the ...more
Ana Fernandes
Feb 19, 2016 Ana Fernandes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4,5
Faltou qq coisa no final.
Tonycorvelli
Aug 09, 2012 Tonycorvelli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed with this book. Read a lot of Robin Cook books and I thought this would have something to do with "shock" since I am a physician. Have no idea where the title came from except that I was shocked he wrote such a bad book with poor characters who were unbelievable. Got the book at a used bookstore where I bought it back to. Very disappointing, there are many books he has written much better. I guess even good authors have a bad day.
Jonathan
Jul 26, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Robin Cook's SHOCK is a page-turner--but only to the extent that one wants to get to the end so they can start reading another book.

I'm giving SHOCK a barely-deserved two stars because the premise was somewhat interesting. The book opens with a young woman donating her eggs (in exchange for a hefty sum of cash) at a fertility clinic. The procedure goes *very* badly and not only does the donor not survive, nor does her friend who drove her to the clinic. Apparently, these are *really* bad people.
Bi Xian
Dec 13, 2012 Bi Xian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's my opinion that the book was published incomplete. There were a number of inconsistencies and loose ends.

#SPOILER#

1) Why would the Wingate clinic bother paying premium prices to harvest ova when they could have paid the market rate (which would be less suspicious)? Also, why specifically ova from Harvard undergraduates when the nuclear material is removed anyway? The same biological results could have been obtained from just about anybody's eggs. (Eventually the eggs were taken from Nicarag
Anastasia
Sep 14, 2014 Anastasia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-2011
Questa recensione potrebbe sfiorare, giusto giusto quanto la pressione di una piuma, lo spoiler.
Buon libro alla fine, sarebbero tre stelline e mezzo. L'idea di base per la storia non è male, di certo molto inquietante. Si sarebbe accaparrato quattro stelle se non fosse per alcune note negative. In alcuni passaggi è fin troppo inverosimile, in altri arrangiato leggermente male.
- Possiamo persino partire dalle prime 100 pagine, Joanna dovrebbe essere cresciuta in un ambiente borghese, davvero l'id
Sue
May 28, 2012 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could barely finish this. I read plenty of books that could be considered far fetched, but this one was just silly. The kicker was one gets a job in a lab and the other gets an office position - both with fictitious identification. No one checks education or job histories. Plus the dialogue was just awful. I've read other Robin Cook novels and have not been this disappointed.

I would have given it less than 1 star if I could.
Dan
Aug 30, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly poor given how much I've liked the other books by Cook that I've read so far. I suppose when one is prolific, at least one book might turn out not so well. While the premise was interesting, the way events unfolded was so far-fetched and ridiculous as to snap that tenuous thread of credulity, and a completely unsatisfying ending leaving everything hanging, but not cliff-hanger style, more like limp spaghetti.
Sandie
Jul 19, 2016 Sandie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally devour Robin Cook's books, but I had a lot of trouble getting through this one. The two female characters were too transparent and I found myself getting angry at their constant banter, bickering like teenagers. With only a page and a half to go in the book, I puzzled at how the story could possibly end (I am very good at figuring out where an author intends to go with their story and love it when I am proven wrong!), but I was so frustrated at how it actually ended that I tossed it ...more
Venkatraman Ramachandran
Definitely a different read in comparison to regular genres. Robin Cooks's combination of science, adventure, medicine, thrill in right dosage surely keeps the reader engaged to an extent.

While the story may be hard to believe and lack any class, Book may have an absolutely scary effect on a conventional reader leaving him scratching his head. Hard to imagine the extent to which mankind can deteriorate and initiate usage of scientific advancement in the most unethical and destructive manner.

One
Cherri Megasko
Nah ... not recommended. Although I generally really enjoy Robin Cook, this one took me a good two years to complete. I got bored mid-way through the first time so put it down. I decided to try again, but so much time had passed I had to start over. I put it down again at about the same place. I finally decided to give it another try. This time I started where I left off and I MADE MYSELF continue reading. At about the 85% mark it started to pick up and trotted off to a surprising and good endin ...more
Karen
Jun 01, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this on audio at a book sale. Glad it was only .25 The plot sounded good and some parts of it were, but the female leads ridiculous and silly actions made me want to scream. At least I held on to the end, which I did not with another by this author. I love audio and for a quarter I thought I would try again. It may have been that it was audio, but for some reason I kept plodding on even though I actually could not find an ounce of rooting for the 2 woman "stars" of the story. The evil guys ...more
Nicolas Stolfa
Me molestan los spoilers, y más si están en el libro. Por ejemplo, no lean la contraportada de los libros de La trilogía de la Oscuridad, y tampoco lean el prólogo de este libro (De hecho, ni la portada deberían ver)...
Personajes con reacciones y objetivos ILÓGICOS, trama agarrada de los pelos, y un final super previsible (tanto el último capitulo, como el epilogo).

Una decepción, porque mucha gente me habia recomendado que lea algo de Robin Cook, pero bueno. Libro un poco menos que pochoclero. E
Melissa
I would have to agree with some of the other reviews that were less than pleased with the character dialog. I have read a Cook novel previously and thought it was so much better. Maybe writing dialog for young women isn't this author's strong suite? Robin, stick to men for lead characters! The whole idea that they could get jobs at a high security fertility clinic without having their social security cards, just the # memorized, is beyond believable and I was confused with the logic that dressin ...more
Sarah Sammis
Aug 05, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Shock as a title has many meanings in this mystery from Robin Cook. It refers back to the hospital's history as an insane asylum, it's also the shock of white hair that serves as a clue, and it is the shock that the two protagonists feel when they figure out what is happening at the Wingate Clinic. I suppose too it could be the "shocking" ending which I had guessed but was still delighted to read.

Once again Cook returns to gynecology for his medical thriller. At leas this time his heroines don't
Inge (Inge1990)
Jul 30, 2014 Inge (Inge1990) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Het verhaal leest lekker weg en je zit er meteen goed in. Verhaallijn is spannend en er gebeuren een hoop dingen. Hoofdpersonen zijn af en toe nogal naïef als ze er achter proberen te komen wat er met hun gedoneerde eicellen is gebeurt. Uiteindelijk blijkt er veel meer aan de hand te zijn dan enkel het doneren eicellen en deze in te brengen bij onvruchtbare vrouwen. Het verhaal heeft een open einde wat je zelf de mogelijkheid geeft om het einde te bepalen.
Juliana Martins
Em relação ao conteúdo específico e o tema abordado o escritor foi excelente como sempre; temas polêmicos inseridos em uma história onde as suposições mais monstruosas dessa evolução cientifica se tornam realidade. A trama em si acabou se tornando muito clichê o que desanimou um pouco; acredito que se o suspense fosse melhor elaborado daria mais emoção à história. O final foi o responsável pela nota 4,0; deixou muito à desejar.
L8blmr
I have not read a Robin Cook story in years and thought I might enjoy this one. Well, not so much. The science was fairly interesting (though creepy in places) but the lead characters were not likable in my opinion and the plot was weak. So ... might be another few years before I pick up another book by this author, though I have read some of his that were much better written.)
Mikko
Apr 13, 2015 Mikko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Epäuskottava ja yliampuva lääketieteellinen scifijännäri, mutta kohtalaisen koukuttavasti kirjoitettu. Kokonaisuus kuitenkin jää totaalisen ontoksi, kirjan henkilöiden motiivit eivät ole uskottavia ja päätökset epärealistisia. Loppuratkaisu jää puolittain avoimeksi. Ei kovin kummoinen teos; kloonauksen etiikasta olisi voinut saada vähän pintaa syvemmällekin raapaisevan tarinan.
Kristi
Nov 29, 2015 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So disappointed with this book. The first 50 pages were good but then Cook takes a turn and never returns to the story line. He gives us tons of details on stuff that is not important and then gives no details about the stuff that is plus the ending? Was that an ending? I kept thinking oh no it must continue in another book which I won't read because this was not good.
Pati
Feb 15, 2015 Pati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As every book of Robin Cook fast action and medicines stories.I love his style and atmosphere he creates.Two main female characters were smart what i liked a lot.The only thing i didnt like was this part where Deborah went to secret labour room using Spencer*s card and no camera anywhere...what is weird in such a huge rich place.Anyway it was small detail.I liked this book a lot.
Siniša Hajnal
Oct 01, 2015 Siniša Hajnal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book of Robin Cook I ever read.

As is common, protagonists are beautiful. But they are bland. They are inconsistent. Nobody around them notices their slips and mistakes which makes it worse.

And finally, the finale is the weakest ever. I've seen daily shows ending in more tension. The worst part of the finale is that it leaves the reader in the dark.
Sara
Sep 24, 2015 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book could have been much more "Shock"ing. Maybe it was because the book was written in 2001 and I have read more shocking medical "advance" stories since then. I also did not relate to either of the main characters hence I really did not care what happened to them making the story less thrilling.
James A.
Just finished the medical thriller SHOCK by Robin Cook, the doctor turned novelist. I've enjoyed some of his earlier books like COMA and TOXIN, but this one not nearly as good.

A slow start and muddled plot about two Harvard graduate students who try to solve their financial problems by becoming egg donors at an exclusive private infertility clinic in Boston. Later curiosity about their donated eggs prompts them to get emplyment at the clinic and they discover some horrifying secrets at the clin
Shellirk
Jan 20, 2014 Shellirk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I was really disappointed in this book. The two main characters were so uninteresting, scatter brained and wholly unbelievable as educated women that I couldn't form any attachment to either of them.

The plot was good. The writing was banal and the closer to the end I got the more I looked forward to it. I just wanted it to be over.

I really feel sad for the reviewers who were mesmerized, who couldn't put the book down! I'm as confused by them as I am with this mess Robin Cook put out and ac
Terri
Mar 18, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow moving story about two roommates who have nothing better to do than track down the eggs they supposedly donated to a fertility clinic and discovered a mess. They just didn't act like harvard graduates in any way. I've heard quite a bit of good about Cook, I may have to try another...
Anusha
I'm generally a big fan of Robin Cook's books, but this one was a let-down. His books are not supposed to get done with in 3 days, which is what happened to me.

Not giving out too many details since that's going to be a spoiler. The book ended way too abruptly, and I was disappointed.
Shock by Robin Cook 1 18 Sep 22, 2008 05:18AM
  • The Patient
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • Omega
  • The Silent Cradle
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Bodies Electric
  • Works of William Shakespeare
  • Deadly Medicine (Joanna Blalock #1)
  • The Rosetta Codex
  • Resistance
  • The Red Fox
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Do No Harm
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...