Start by marking “The Jaguar Hunter” as Want to Read:

The Jaguar Hunter

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Contents:
The Jaguar Hunter (1985)
The Night of White Bhairab (1984)
Salvador (1984)
How the Wind Spoke at Madaket (1985)
Black Coral (1984)
The End of Life as We Know It (1985)
A Traveler's Tale (1984)
Mengele (1985)
The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule (1984)
A Spanish Lesson (1985)
Published April 1st 1989 by Bantam (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Jaguar Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jaguar Hunter

Oscar
Lucius Shepard no es un autor que se prodigue en exceso, y menos en las letras españolas. En español tiene traducidas tres novelas y dos antologías de relatos, que en realidad es una sola. Shepard es un escritor con una gran imaginación y un rico estilo narrativo, claro y directo. La mayoría de historias de Shepard están enfocadas desde el realismo mágico. Sus narraciones parten de conflictos psicológicos y morales, en oposición a fuerzas externas, tales como extraterrestres, tecnología o hechiz ...more
Adam
I tried to read this collection before and loved the first two stories but not the third and gave up on the fourth. Not sure why I picked it up again but I read the novella “R&R” first and then had to read everything else in the book. “R&R” is the best novella I have read in recent times, a masterpiece like “Heart of Darkness” and “Death in Venice”; this one has it all, beautiful surreal prose, a vision of a future war that comments on Vietnam and our involvement in Guatemala and reads l ...more
Karl
Mar 29, 2014 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great that Arkham house published Mr. Shepard. This book came out the same year as "Life During Wartime" and a year after "Green Eyes". The man had magic in his writing, and was able to convey it to his audience. This is a great compilation of his stories.
Merciful
May 03, 2014 Merciful rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R.I.P. LUCIUS SHEPARD, 1947-2014

We lost a helluva writer today. Lucius Shepard wrote some of my favorite short stories of any genre. The Jaguar Hunter was particularly enjoyable, as was Life During Wartime.
He was an email pal for awhile, too, back in the early internet days. I'm shocked and sad that he's gone.

Thanks, Lucius!
You were a trip, man.

Luke Van Lant
Apr 21, 2012 Luke Van Lant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single one of the stories in this collection is amazing in a different way – just as I thought there couldn't be a story better than the one I just read, one came along. The stories covered a massive spectrum of ideas – nazi doctors, alternate dimensions, wind spirits, aliens, futuristic war, drugs, etc., but the ideas are just the beginning, as Shepard uses them to delve into current affairs, the human soul, and other things that make the stories mere outlets. If you like your stories har ...more
Carlos Piélago Rojo
Tengo que reconocer que cuando me encontré este libro en una tienda de segunda mano a un precio irrisorio no conocía al autor, y si lo compré fue porque había ganado un premio y me interesó la temática de algunos relatos, no pensé que me iba a gustar tanto.

Ya ha pasado tiempo desde que Lucius Shepard ganó el premio World Fantasy de 1988 junto a la obra "El cazador de jaguares" y creo que es un escritor casi desconocido en nuestro país.

No me voy a detener en cada relato, creo que hay otros usua
Olethros
-La cotidianidad íntima de lo fantástico.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de relatos del autor, casi todos publicados previamente en The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. El original se dividió en dos libros para la edición en español, por lo que los contenidos de este volumen se complementan con los de “El hombre que pintó al dragón Griaule”, del que ya hablaremos por aquí.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Outis
Most of these stories are very Shepard, down to the overuse of "as if" in description.
After the author's passing, as my personal observance I started to read the stories I wasn't already familiar with.
Even if the stories are nothing if not creative and the plots are very different, the stories are similar and idiosyncratic enough that I didn't feel like reading them one after another so finishing the collection took me some time.

There are awesome visions which sometimes irrupt in those stories..
Jaime
Mar 04, 2012 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll just leave this encomium to Mr Shepard here since my very first exposure to his work was through the short stories & novellas run in Asimov's Science Fiction waaay back in the day. It may be an eye-rollingly facile comparison but whenever I'd rave to folks unfamiliar with him I'd liken Shepard to Joseph Conrad and Gabriel Garcia Marquez knocking themselves out playing rock & roll in shitty midwest dives before settling down (with the ghost of Avram Davidson peeking over their should ...more
Lix Chvz
Jun 01, 2014 Lix Chvz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me impresiona el poder de evocación de Shepard (: Es un autor superior, incluso en aquellas frases donde desprecia a la elegancia...
Jen
Jun 22, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I had read "The Man Who Painted the Dragon Graiulle" in an anthology and was amazed by it. This is the book it first appeared in so I bought it hoping it would have more of the same but was disappointed. Much of it I would have classified magical realism rather than fantasy (granted they are close cousins). It killed a budding interest in the author.
Jessica
May 16, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
This was an excellent collections of short stories with a slight sci-fi or fantasy twinge that ook place in lots of exotic locales. The author moralizes about the decay of the human soul, a bit much, without offering a solution, even a trite one. But each of the stories were inventive and intriguing.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 Keith Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent collection of stories from Lucius Shepard. A few are science fiction and a few are fantasy and a few are a sort of magic realism, but all of the stories are highly atmospheric and rich with details, especially those set in Central and South American.
Kurt Newton
May 14, 2012 Kurt Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read Lucius Shepard, this is a great place to start. Shepard excels in the novelette and novella length. I read most of these stories when they were first published in Asimov's and F&SF magazine. Amazing writer.
Paul
Apr 27, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed bag of short stories/novellas, the best being 'R&R' and the title story. Tends to fall between literary and genre fiction, and leaves the reader somewhat disappointed.
Tt
Feb 11, 2008 Tt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shepard fails not. From shadowy jungles of central America to decaying fantasy worlds, he delivers stories brimming with joy and sadness, exhilaration and loss.
Claude Lalumière
Jun 27, 2012 Claude Lalumière rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-collections
I have been known to open this book at random and real aloud whatever sentence my eyes fall upon; always, I find something gorgeous, evocative, rich , and powerful.
Ian Kilgore
Nov 16, 2014 Ian Kilgore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, odd
Cool. Four and a half thumbs up. Better than most of the crap I read, just not life-changingly five-star good.
Lane
My favorite would be "The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule."
Jacque wong
Feb 16, 2008 Jacque wong rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Creepily fantastic. Exotic, erotic and Real.
Alec
Alec rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Jack Tripper
Jack Tripper marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Tracey Wear
Tracey Wear marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Sergio C
Sergio C rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Koenraad Impens
Koenraad Impens marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Andra Muntean
Andra Muntean rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
  • Star Songs of An Old Primate
  • A Rendezvous in Averoigne
  • The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
  • Memories of the Space Age
Brief biographies are, like history texts, too organized to be other than orderly misrepresentations of the truth. So when it's written that Lucius Shepard was born in August of 1947 to Lucy and William Shepard in Lynchburg, Virginia, and raised thereafter in Daytona Beach, Florida, it provides a statistical hit and gives you nothing of the difficult childhood from which he frequently attempted to ...more
More about Lucius Shepard...