Start by marking “The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, # 4)” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, # 4)

The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,265 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
She stood on the ship's deck and stared down at the wild waves tossing about below. There was a wrenching, groaning sound and the caravel suddenly lurched sideways. Jay seized her hand. "Come on, Finn, jump!" he urged. "Else the ship'll take ye down with her." Finn hung on to his hand and jumped ...

Finn the Cat is bored with life as Banprionnsa at Castle Rurach. She's alwa
Published September 1st 2000 by Arrow (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden Land

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyLirael by Garth NixAkarnae by Lynette Noni
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
54th out of 245 books — 183 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsRising by Holly KellyIngo by Helen DunmoreThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Best mermaid books
137th out of 291 books — 709 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
This book was quite a lot shorter than the previous three, which was good, but also sad. Also sad was that the book focused on one of the minor characters from the first two books and made her the main character, but this also meant that the main characters from the first three books were pushed to the side. I did quite enjoy it, even with the chapters being too long, and am looking forward to the next one.
GeekGirl_7
Jul 05, 2016 GeekGirl_7 rated it liked it
Phrynne
An enjoyable book with a very entertaining story but without my favourite character in this series, Isabeau. However Finn is also fun to read about and she entertains with her tomboyish behaviours and her delightful little cat. There is lots of action and magic and a whole array of interesting characters. Apparently the next book returns to the story of Isabeau which makes me happy!
Amanda Botten
Apr 16, 2011 Amanda Botten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The forbidden land once again delivered in beauty, amazement and delight. I love how some characters return to who/how they were at the beginning of the series. It makes it feel more real and less forced. The settings are like the first of the series, the characters remain to grow in the book and in your heart. But the story does not slow down whatsoever and you find your self speed reading to find out what is going on.
Lauren Ferguson
Aug 13, 2015 Lauren Ferguson rated it really liked it
The fourth book in the series set concurrently with the fifth we follow the tale of Finn and her role in the taking of Bride. Finn is one of those frustrating characters for me who could be magnificent even with all of her faults but she refuses to grow. I find it extremely difficult that after 5 years she has completely failed to develop at least some basic level of maturity and understanding such as the rest of the League of the Healing Hand was able to. That being said, Kate Forsyth has retai ...more
Richard
A fine book ruined by it's main character. In this book we see Finn become a main character and have no personal arc at all. Starts off as a ungrateful and prideful shit of a girl and ends up in the same place but with everything being just peachy. She acted more like a grown up when she was a side character and now she's apparently 17 and acting half her age.

I was very glad this was a substantially shorter book than any other in this series. Honestly I feel like I should be rating this 2 stars
Chani
It was nice that this book was much shorter than the last one which nearly killed me in length. (Not that I mind reading long books, but since I'm reading all 6 of these in a row, it's been a lot of pages) However, I wouldn't really call this a continuation novel, it was more of a solo character peek. The Forbidden Land follows Finn the Cat through a new adventure. I am quite endeared to Finn so I didn't mind reading about her character or the others in the Healing Hand band, but I did miss Isab ...more
Shari  Mulluane
Kate Forsyth does it again by completely changing focus. This book covers Finn almost exclusively and it is a great tale of magic, adventure, friendship, harrowing danger, and horrific war. You will not find Isabeau or Megan in this book, and you will see very little of Lachlan or Iseult. You will get to spend some time with Dide, Enit, and the remains of the League of the Healing Hands. You will also meet Finn's too perfect cousin who is the NicSian heir.

Some readers have complained about the
Carl
Aug 19, 2015 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-books-2015
This novel seemed to be at a different pace to the others and I realised it was because it was directed at only one plot line, rather than following a number of characters in their various parts of the world.

Once again, it is an enjoyable read, and the characters aren't losing their shine, even after 4 novels.

Funnily enough, I said I'd take a break after 3, but can't seem to put these novels down.
Tammy
Nov 03, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This installation of the series follows Finn the Cat, Iseult, and Lachlan as they wage war to unite the land, divided under Maya's rule, and fight the prejudice toward magic she has encouraged among her people.

I think this is my least favorite of the series. It's still a wonderful book with an exciting plot and great action/adventure scenes, but it is missing the characters for which I had the most empathy. Especially, given the writing style of interleaved chapters following different plot line
T J
Mar 15, 2015 T J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finn the cat it needed to break into the black tower and she is so happy to get away from her family's castle.
She didn't expect a sea voyage and running into most hated enemies on the way. With all the twist and turns in a tale of adventure you could ever want, this was one great read. On to Book five: The Skull of the World.
Kathi
Jan 09, 2015 Kathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The focus in this book is on Finn and she is a bit too immature, pig-headed, and whiny to carry so much of the story. There were excellent parts, just not enough of them to earn a higher rating.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Number four in the series is a detour from the main story line of the Witches of Eileanan. It centres on a minor character of one of the previous books. My favourite character of the series, Isabeau, is a total no-show. Others have commented that they did not enjoy the book because of that. But I liked it. Straight forward story, good action scenes, tongue-in-cheek, funny, steady suspense throughout.

A word to the whole series - Although each book gives explanations of what has happened in previo
Delaney
Sep 01, 2015 Delaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked having a book from Finn's perspective, although it was clear that this was a filler book, meant to wrap up the Tirsoillearean issue rather than the original concept. I liked the faster pace, although I missed Iseult and Isabeau. Sometimes Finn's relentless take-no-shit attitude was grating, and "flaming dragon balls" was much overused, but other than that I enjoyed the different perspective. The shorter length was also MUCH appreciated, as my one complaint with Forsyth is her sometimes t ...more
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, so I loved this book. It was focused on an entirely different character. Instead of Isabeau and Iseult, it focuses exclusively on Fionnaghal Nic Ruaraich, AKA Finn the Cat. I like her character a great deal anyway, and to put a book focusing on a different person in the middle of a series is perfect for me. It makes me feel like I'm reading something different, not still stuck in a series. It was a breath of fresh air. While clinging to a sheer cliff face by a hook, following an elven cat.
Sue
Sep 12, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After being a bit disappointed with book 3..... I LOVED BOOK 4. The Forbidden Land was a great adventure and I easily connected with the main characters. Finn the Cat and her band of misfits were wonderful. The storyline really flowed easily in this one. Lots of twists and turns and a gentle lead on to the next book.I think I enjoyed it more bc it wasnt bogged down with war so much and you got a sense of their deepening characters eg Lachlan, Dide, Bran etc.A top read.
Monique
I'm definitely enjoying this whole series. The characters are strong and loveable. Sadly the writing is deteriorating with each book, with longer passages of unnecessary descriptions and less depth given to the characters, but even in its weak points i am finding the series on the whole very inspiring. The story lines are intriguing, thought and very creative in the way they weave together mythology, legend, feminist philosophy and ideas from cultural studies.
Helen Watkins
Feb 17, 2016 Helen Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 4 and I am still reading so it is holding my interest. Not quite as in depth as the earlier books and this shown by the number of pages which are only about half of the previous book.
Jessica
Jun 15, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was definately more focussed than the previous installment and while some readers may miss beloved characters such as Isabeau and Isuelt who doesn't love Finn the Cat? I think this is my favourite so far because it's just so much fun. Well done, Kate. Another awesome read.
Caedy  Eries
This one is actually my favorite in the series, because of the focus on Fionnaghal (Finn). Finn the Cat is most definitely one of my favorite members of League of the Healing Hand. Also, gotta LOVE her little elven cat Goblin.
Clark Cutchin
Oct 01, 2011 Clark Cutchin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good but didn't seem to make sense at book #4 in the series. I was a little confused at first but then it all tied in. I am not sure why the author chose to do it this way but I still enjoyed it.
Cherie Barton
Aug 11, 2011 Cherie Barton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eileanan
Another amazing book in this series, it's great to have a couple of the minor characters from earlier books fleshed out more and to see them grow and change as they age through the story.
Shannon Ewing
Nov 08, 2014 Shannon Ewing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blessing-of-13, 2014
loved reading finn's story. honestly, I was a little tired of the twins' voices. was a nice change. ready to get back to 'beau now!
Nov 08, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I do like Finn, her humour did get to me in the end. My least favourite in the series but still a good book.
Kari Gray
Oct 24, 2007 Kari Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy
Again, another delightful, and sometimes delightfully suspenseful, novel.
Moonlight Reads
Mar 14, 2014 Moonlight Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read full review at www.moonlightreads.com
Lyra Rose
Sep 26, 2009 Lyra Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Find my review at http://lyraroses.blogspot.com
Kim Williams
Jan 31, 2013 Kim Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the same as the rest of this series riveting
Pixie Barrett
Dec 16, 2012 Pixie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kate-forsyth
not a bad sequel. enjoyable read
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea (The Witch of Two Suns, #1)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 35 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler in WWII; 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm
More about Kate Forsyth...

The Witches of Eileanan (6 books)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)