The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, # 4)

The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,600 ratings  ·  23 reviews
She stood on the ship's deck and stared down at the wild waves tossing about below. There was a wrenching, groaning sound and the caravel suddenly lurched sideways. Jay seized her hand. "Come on, Finn, jump!" he urged. "Else the ship'll take ye down with her." Finn hung on to his hand and jumped ...

Finn the Cat is bored with life as Banprionnsa at Castle Rurach. She's alwa...more
467 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Arrow

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierProgeny of Innocence by Patti RobertsThe Angels Are Here by Patti RobertsObernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
73rd out of 198 books — 110 voters
The Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThree Wishes by Isabelle MerlinRiver Secrets by Shannon HaleEnna Burning by Shannon HaleForest Born by Shannon Hale
Best Books for Teen Girls
20th out of 30 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
This book was quite a lot shorter than the previous three, which was good, but also sad. Also sad was that the book focused on one of the minor characters from the first two books and made her the main character, but this also meant that the main characters from the first three books were pushed to the side. I did quite enjoy it, even with the chapters being too long, and am looking forward to the next one.
Phrynne
An enjoyable book with a very entertaining story but without my favourite character in this series, Isabeau. However Finn is also fun to read about and she entertains with her tomboyish behaviours and her delightful little cat. There is lots of action and magic and a whole array of interesting characters. Apparently the next book returns to the story of Isabeau which makes me happy!
Amanda Botten
The forbidden land once again delivered in beauty, amazement and delight. I love how some characters return to who/how they were at the beginning of the series. It makes it feel more real and less forced. The settings are like the first of the series, the characters remain to grow in the book and in your heart. But the story does not slow down whatsoever and you find your self speed reading to find out what is going on.
Chani
It was nice that this book was much shorter than the last one which nearly killed me in length. (Not that I mind reading long books, but since I'm reading all 6 of these in a row, it's been a lot of pages) However, I wouldn't really call this a continuation novel, it was more of a solo character peek. The Forbidden Land follows Finn the Cat through a new adventure. I am quite endeared to Finn so I didn't mind reading about her character or the others in the Healing Hand band, but I did miss Isab...more
Shari  Mulluane
Kate Forsyth does it again by completely changing focus. This book covers Finn almost exclusively and it is a great tale of magic, adventure, friendship, harrowing danger, and horrific war. You will not find Isabeau or Megan in this book, and you will see very little of Lachlan or Iseult. You will get to spend some time with Dide, Enit, and the remains of the League of the Healing Hands. You will also meet Finn's too perfect cousin who is the NicSian heir.

Some readers have complained about the...more
Tammy
This installation of the series follows Finn the Cat, Iseult, and Lachlan as they wage war to unite the land, divided under Maya's rule, and fight the prejudice toward magic she has encouraged among her people.

I think this is my least favorite of the series. It's still a wonderful book with an exciting plot and great action/adventure scenes, but it is missing the characters for which I had the most empathy. Especially, given the writing style of interleaved chapters following different plot line...more
cathepsut
Number four in the series is a detour from the main story line of the Witches of Eileanan. It centres on a minor character of one of the previous books. My favourite character of the series, Isabeau, is a total no-show. Others have commented that they did not enjoy the book because of that. But I liked it. Straight forward story, good action scenes, tongue-in-cheek, funny, steady suspense throughout.

A word to the whole series - Although each book gives explanations of what has happened in previo...more
Kristen
Okay, so I loved this book. It was focused on an entirely different character. Instead of Isabeau and Iseult, it focuses exclusively on Fionnaghal Nic Ruaraich, AKA Finn the Cat. I like her character a great deal anyway, and to put a book focusing on a different person in the middle of a series is perfect for me. It makes me feel like I'm reading something different, not still stuck in a series. It was a breath of fresh air. While clinging to a sheer cliff face by a hook, following an elven cat.
Sue
After being a bit disappointed with book 3..... I LOVED BOOK 4. The Forbidden Land was a great adventure and I easily connected with the main characters. Finn the Cat and her band of misfits were wonderful. The storyline really flowed easily in this one. Lots of twists and turns and a gentle lead on to the next book.I think I enjoyed it more bc it wasnt bogged down with war so much and you got a sense of their deepening characters eg Lachlan, Dide, Bran etc.A top read.
Monique
I'm definitely enjoying this whole series. The characters are strong and loveable. Sadly the writing is deteriorating with each book, with longer passages of unnecessary descriptions and less depth given to the characters, but even in its weak points i am finding the series on the whole very inspiring. The story lines are intriguing, thought and very creative in the way they weave together mythology, legend, feminist philosophy and ideas from cultural studies.
Jessica
This book was definately more focussed than the previous installment and while some readers may miss beloved characters such as Isabeau and Isuelt who doesn't love Finn the Cat? I think this is my favourite so far because it's just so much fun. Well done, Kate. Another awesome read.
Martha D
This one is actually my favorite in the series, because of the focus on Fionnaghal (Finn). Finn the Cat is most definitely one of my favorite members of League of the Healing Hand. Also, gotta LOVE her little elven cat Goblin.
Clark Cutchin
This book was good but didn't seem to make sense at book #4 in the series. I was a little confused at first but then it all tied in. I am not sure why the author chose to do it this way but I still enjoyed it.
Cherie Barton
Another amazing book in this series, it's great to have a couple of the minor characters from earlier books fleshed out more and to see them grow and change as they age through the story.
Though I do like Finn, her humour did get to me in the end. My least favourite in the series but still a good book.
Kari Gray
Oct 24, 2007 Kari Gray rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy
Again, another delightful, and sometimes delightfully suspenseful, novel.
Kim Williams
the same as the rest of this series riveting
Pixie Barrett
not a bad sequel. enjoyable read
Maritza
Sep 14, 2007 Maritza rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Still can't put it down
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Crissy
Crissy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • The Gods of Amyrantha (Tide Lords, #2)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 20 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm and Dortchen Wild, the young woman who told him many of the world's most famous fairy tales; 'Bitter Greens', a retelling of the Rapunzel fairyt...more
More about Kate Forsyth...
The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1) The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2) The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3) The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1) The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)