Start by marking “Humble Pie” as Want to Read:
Humble Pie

Humble Pie

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Only Theo's grandmother sees the truth about the boy: He's as spoiled as a rotten old apple!

That is why, on one of Theo's naughtiest, grabbiest, mouthiest days, Grandmother decides to bake him a pie.

Young Theo has never seen the like. Its crust is as big as a bedsheet; its filling of plums, cherries, peaches, pears, apples, and quince is as tempting as any sweet feast ever
Published October 29th 2007 by Aladdin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Humble Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humble Pie

Lisa Frase
One of my favorite authors of young adult and adult literary fiction is Jennifer Donnelly. I recently discovered her picture book Humble Pie. This original story is a funny little medieval tale about a spoiled and selfish boy who nearly gets baked in a humble pie. The is a character transformation story with a strong beginning, middle, and end. The story moves along at a nice clip, and uses a lot of snappy language and various sentence structures. It's a great read aloud and has lots of teaching ...more
Maxwell
Max did not really understand the incantations or the idea of humble pie. Rather random and disconcerting. But it had enough parts he liked, he likes books about children that misbehave.
Stephanie
This is great. I will use it for story time when I am doing kindness. Oh the just desserts.
Brindi
wonderful illustrations with a great moral story
Lindsay
I originally picked this up simply because I love Jennifer Donnelly, and really didn't believe that anything written by her could possibly be bad. Not only was I right, but it was actually pretty great! My kids absolutely loved the story, and the artwork. And I loved the moral. Maybe a little of the message will later be remembered. ;)
Ryan
I was curious about a children's book written by someone who writes historical fiction for young adults. The illustrations are very fun, and the book is sweet (no pun there). It was a little unclear exactly why the boy was a spoiled brat - he certainly was and certainly learned something from not quite being baked into a pie.
Matthew
This was an okay story, though the grandmother's punishment was a bit on the cruel side. The kid nearly was cooked and eaten rather than learning his lesson. The whole scare you straight angle was definitely the focus of this one. The story had a well-paced plot, but I don't know.
Alicia
Gammel is an amazing illustrator. (He won the Caldecott for Song and Dance Man). This book is also filled with colorful, quirky pictures that add a lot to the already adequate words. Cute story.
Heloyce
This is not a true story. Bad as my piecrust may be, it was never this flexible. Nevertheless, while the tale is unbelievable, the moral is true.
Grandma teaches her spoiled grandson a lesson...by letting him see how those around him see him and how those less fortunate live.
Scarlett
Very good story- love teh illustrations.
Alia
Alia added it
Feb 24, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Dezirae
Dezirae marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Adrianne Kunz
Adrianne Kunz marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Tc Jl
Tc Jl marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Lolo
Lolo marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Terrah
Terrah marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Samantha Riley
Samantha Riley marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jennifer Donnelly is the author of seven novels - Rogue Wave, Deep Blue, Revolution, A Northern Light, The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose and The Wild Rose - and Humble Pie, a picture book for children. She grew up in New York State, in Lewis and Westchester counties, and attended the University of Rochester where she majored in English Literature and European History.

Jennifer’s first novel, The Tea R
More about Jennifer Donnelly...
A Northern Light Revolution The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) The Wild Rose (The Tea Rose, #3)