Start by marking “The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan, #5)

The Skull of the World (The Witches of Eileanan #5)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  2,356 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In the land of Eileanan, the Pact of Peace has not meant the end of unrest. And, though Isabeau would like to return home to help her family in these uncertain times, she must first venture to the Skull of the World where she will discover her true talents as a witch. And when she does return home, she does so transformed with the power to overcome her family's enemies onc ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published February 1st 2002 by Roc (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Skull of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skull of the World

Steve
Jun 08, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
5 stars, because I could not put it down. This book focuses on a character we have seen precious little of for the last three books, and I loved reading about her triumphs, her failures and her adventures. It was a little shorter than the previous book, which helped me speed through it. It also introduced us to seeing things from the eyes of the enemy, and because of that I am greatly looking forward to the conclusion of this series.
Yassy
Jul 05, 2016 Yassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great novel, however, following on from my review of book 4, these two novels could easily have been combined, giving multiple perspectives.
Jen Welch
Feb 24, 2017 Jen Welch rated it really liked it
I loved this series and the finale did not disappoint. The various story lines were beautifully wrapped up without too much being given away early on. I was actually left feeling a bit sad to say goodbye to all the characters that I had grown to love. The fact that some of the heroes weren't all that ideal or loveable actually made them so much more real and hard to let go of.
Phrynne
May 15, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it
This is number five in the series so I only have one more book to go. I will be sad when it finishes. In this book we see much more of my favourite character, Isabeau, as she discovers her talents and develops her magical skills. There is also a parallel story about the Fairgean which apparently is building up to a great finale in book six. I am looking forward to it!
Kathi
Jan 09, 2015 Kathi rated it really liked it
A wonderful tale, with trials, magic, intrigue, and betrayal. Isabeau is the featured character and her growth in both magic and maturity are evident throughout. Her courage has been honed in the mountains and her ingenuity and creativity are displayed over and over. The story just rolls along. I am anxious to see how Forsyth wraps up this series In the final book.
Shari  Mulluane
Oct 13, 2008 Shari Mulluane rated it it was amazing
As promised, the focus is once again on Isabeau. This book closely follows the pattern set in book four by focusing on Isabeau's adventures almost exclusively. Kate Forsyth then masterfully manages to bring this story right in line with the events portrayed in book four so that by the end of the book, both stories converge seamlessly. There is also what I am assuming is a setup for book six in that we get a few inside glimpses into the Fairgean. It all makes for some very interesting reading. Ho ...more
Delaney
May 04, 2012 Delaney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r-fantasy
This was an awesome book. I loved getting Isabeau's perspective back, and it was action-packed without lacking the minutiae that I love in this series. Learning more about the Skull of the World was great, and I love that her Talent appeared in the form that it did. This was overall one of the best installments in this series, and I only have two issues with it: ((view spoiler)). My se ...more
Chani
Feb 25, 2012 Chani rated it really liked it
Finally, we get to follow Isabeau through her initiation into the Firedragon clan. I do wish it went on a little longer or that we got to spend more time at the Skull of the World instead of switching to Nali, Fish Prince. I didn't mind the different perspective, but this is when it fell into the trap that all stories that switch back and forth fall into: you have a favorite character and dislike having to leave them to read about another. I did like Nali's character but it was lessened by my na ...more
Tammy
Aug 24, 2009 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Isabeau must embrace the other half of her heritage and live among her father's people, the Khan'cohban. As she struggles to assimilate into the foreign culture and survive the rite of passage to the skull of the world, she is set out on a path of self-discovery-- to her ultimate power. Meanwhile, Maya is scheming the downfall of Lachlan, and to have her daughter, Bronwen, placed back on the throne.

As with the past four books, there is plenty of fast-paced adventure and great character developme
Lauren Ferguson
Oct 01, 2015 Lauren Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the diversion of Finn's adventures in the previous book it was good to get back to Isabeau on the Spine of the World. So much happens in this book that it's hard to keep up but I'm glad tge Thistle returns. I have issues with Margrit of Arran though. She's your ultimate bad guy but I find it hard to understand her - she just hates for the sake of hating and being cruel and often it seems like she would have made the Fairge King proud. I am disappointed we don't hear from her point of view ...more
Nov 08, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Amanda Botten
Jan 12, 2011 Amanda Botten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The skill of the world is beautifully down, I really loved how Kate Forsyth created the characters and then made the transform so wonderfully. In this book I thoroughly enjoyed how Kate got more depth on two of the characters by getting them both to go back to 'their' roots. It allows us and the other character to learn the past of another, it opens our eyes at the difference in life styles and reintroduces some characters from the begining.
Katie
Dec 15, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This was my second favorite book in the series behind the first one. BRILLIANT story! I love hearing more about Isabeau's journey on becoming a sorceress as well as the fight with the Fairge. I must say this book did flame a dislike of Lachlan in me...he just doesn't seem like a great leader and is almost childish in his quick temper. But that's what makes a great novel-stirring emotions towards a character. Great job, Kate!
Sue
Sep 20, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Book 5 done and dusted and once again I really enjoyed this book.
This one is basically Isabeau's tale of her journey to the skull of the world and back to Eileanan.
It was great to have a whole book devoted to her journey as there are so many characters in this series that you can lose sight of them.
I am really looking forward to the next and last book in the series.
Vickey Foggin
Jan 27, 2017 Vickey Foggin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
In this book we're back to the main character, Isabeau, and I am glad! She has some great adventures earning her name in the icy north and finding out what her talent is. Then she spends heaps of time being heroic and amazing. A great exciting story - I found myself reading faster to find out what happened next and stayed up too late to finish it which is always a sign of a good read!
Melanie
Apr 23, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Probably my second favourite book in this series (after the first one, of course!), as we finally get to see Isabeau go through her initiation to her fathers clan. I liked the whole process, but would have liked to see it go on a little longer. I was glad there wasn't as much of Lachlan, as the third book kind of turned me off him. Overall, a fantastic book, and a great series
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I greatly enjoyed this book at well. I think of the twins, I prefer Isabeau to Iseult. It was fun to see her go to her father's people on the Spine of the World and learn their ways, and then go on her naming quest. A fantasy version of a female bildungsroman. The whole series is that, actually, but this book more so than the others.
T J
Mar 15, 2015 T J rated it really liked it
Isabeau is off on quest for her spirit name so she can get back to her studies at the witches tower in Eileanan. What an adventure she will have and as her powers are grow and mature surprises are instore. Great read and looking forward to book 6.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Mar 09, 2008 Cathy (cathepsut) rated it it was amazing
Great fun. I really liked Isabeau's adventures with the Khan'Coban in book 3 and I liked this just as much. And her true Talent is a lot of fun, too. I wish, I could do that! Besides book 1 probably my favourite book of the series.
Carl
Aug 28, 2015 Carl rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-books-2015
This was probably my favourite book in the series so far. It was ever so close to a 5 except I thought a couple of the plot lines were finished in an anti climactic way, especially the Isabeau/Margrit story.

If number 5 continues in this way, it will be one of the best fantasy series I've read.
Elise
May 31, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it
as all the rest of this series... great book!
Richard
Jul 17, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
Back to the main characters that actually matter thankfully and the series is back on track.
Kim Williams
Jan 31, 2013 Kim Williams rated it really liked it
AWESOME
Maritza
Sep 14, 2007 Maritza rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
I like the way she wrote this book
Moonlight Reads
Mar 18, 2013 Moonlight Reads rated it it was amazing
Read full review at www.moonlightreads.com
Jodie
Sep 16, 2008 Jodie rated it really liked it
This is may favourite book in the series
Sofia
Mar 05, 2013 Sofia rated it liked it
The book felt a bit hurried through, but it was otherwise an entertaining reading.
Speedreaderthoughnotaware
boring
Amy Silva
Nov 08, 2014 Amy Silva rated it it was ok
I felt the story was rushed. There is a lot less detail given in to the story than the first 2 books which really let it down.
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 35 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler in WWII; 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm
More about Kate Forsyth...

The Witches of Eileanan (6 books)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • The Pool of Two Moons (The Witches of Eileanan, #2)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)