Start by marking “The Expository Genius of John Calvin” as Want to Read:
The Expository Genius of John Calvin

The Expository Genius of John Calvin (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A book on Apologetics. Examines the Theology of John Calvin.
Published March 1st 2007 by Reformation Trust

To ask other readers questions about The Expository Genius of John Calvin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expository Genius of John Calvin

Derek Brown
Steve Lawson, senior pastor at Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile, Alabama, has started a project - a big project. The project, "A Long Line of Godly Men" is a book series that will survey the doctrines of grace as they have been taught and defended from the time of Moses, to the apostle John, to Augustine, to Luther and Calvin, to Warfield, to present day teachers such as A.W. Pink, Martyn Lloyd Jones, John Piper and John MacArthur. The first installment of this series entitled Foundati ...more
Jon Anderson
A good short book focusing on the expositional preaching of John Calvin. It deals with both the preacher and the preaching. Good reminder of the nature of the pulpit and how preachers must themselves be pursuing God even in their preparations. The chapters focusing on the "how" of Calvin's preaching are useful, though some effort is necessary to think through what that would look like today. No one should try and preach exactly like Calvin (or any other preacher, for that matter). First in a ser ...more
What is the best remedy for the issues in the Church today? What will be the best means to focus Christians upon what really matters and who they really are? Do we have a grand, 1 hour period of inspiring music and then a 30 minute exposition of the Bible? What is the best way to worship God in our Church 'services'? How can we get a new reformation started? As Lawson says, "there are no new remedies for old problems. We must come back to old paths. We must capture the centrality and pungency of ...more
Ivan
Despite our thoughts of John Calvin (1509-1564), one cannot dismiss his impact on the church — effects which we still feel today. While many have written on Calvin and his life, few have written solely of him and his preaching; Lawson seeks to do just that.

It is no lie that my anticipation for this series is high and I’m sure I won’t be let down.

The book covers everything in preaching — from core foundations to all the practical nuts-and-bolts of the preaching development to the concluding remar
John Brackbill
Really can't say enough good about this short book. If you are a regular handler of God's Word in a public way this is a must read.

If you haven't considered the importance of expository preaching it is a good primer through example. If you are convinced of the necessity of expository preaching it is a good kick in the pants to keep it up in the middle of a society that rejects the Word and in the middle of a wide church culture that assumes that a reformation type emphasis on Bible exposition j
Michael Rachel
Good, terse, quick overview of Calvin as an expositor. Surely there are aspects about preaching that Calvin can contribute to the modern discussion. The most challenging thing in this book was that it seemed to be another book that elevated the subjective approach of Calvin's preaching to a normative status to be followed by many others. If one doesn't see this assumption, it will make reading the book much more enjoyable.
Logan
I actually really liked this book. It focused on Calvin's preaching, which is very dear to me and which I have become very familiar with through transcribing many myself. It gives a call to today's ministers to return to the passionate, reverent, and text-centered approach of Calvin.
Kurt Michaelson
I really enjoyed reading this book, especially since I'm new to pastoral ministry and thoroughly love expository preaching. I've known John Calvin to be an expositor and heard much about "Calvinism" too. But this book by Steven Lawson has helped me to see how important the exposition of Scripture was John Calvin as well as for his congregation.

I have made several highlights of text throughout the book using my Kindle and I look forward to referring to them when I need to.

I would definitely say t
John
I enjoyed it, the author has another book out called the foundations of grace I also enjoyed. So far he is 2 for 2, check this one out if your interested in hearing about how John Calvin preached, and interacted with his community of believers in the church. Actually done in the manner of helping others preach and teach, it changed my mind on how I delivered the information in my classes. Presenting the material not on a 5th grade level, but also not on a college level, but rather at the cleares ...more
Josh Skinner
Great book focused on how and why John Calvin preached the way he did. Fun read and pretty short
Peter N.
Whether or not you like this book probably depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a detailed look at Calvin's preaching you will need to go elsewhere. I might suggests T.H.L Parker's book on Calvin's Preaching. Lawson's book is great for a quick review of the main aspects of Calvin's preaching. When I need direction for my preaching, whether delivery or preparation or the conclusion, I can pull out Lawson's book and get some quick input. It is almost like a reference book fo ...more
Josue Manriquez
As always, Steve Lawson has written another excellent book. This is not another biography of John Calvin, but rather an explanation of Calvin's "expository genius." It contains 32 distinctives of Calvin's preaching, beginning with Calvin's belief in sola Scriptura, and ending with a closing, climactic prayer.
Brian
Lawson's short volume packs a punch by focusing on Calvin's role as Pastor and Preacher. He organizes his thought through a series of "Distinctives." In the process of describing key moments in Calvin's life, the author provides a glimpse into what modern pastors can learn from this giant of the reformation.
Christopher
Dec 10, 2012 Christopher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christopher by: Seven Sands Chapel (ADAB)
Very good introduction to Calvin and his ministry in Geneva. This book is very short and the author focuses on Calvin's style of preaching, not on his life (there is one chapter on that) or his theological views on other topics. This is a popular level book, but it is worth the read!
Marcus
Five stars for Calvin and 4 for the book. Calvin was a hardcore expositional teacher: He was teaching through the book of Isaiah when he was banished from Geneva. When he returned three years later his first sermon started on the next verse from where he had left off!
Richard Gambill
Excellent book. A short and easy read. Yet informative and inspiring. Dr. Lawson's final conclusion is nail on: what the church needs today more than anything else is more Calvins who are dedicated to solid expository preaching. I can't wait to read other books in this series.
Adam Smith
Excellent treatment of The methodology of Calvin's preaching. I've never read a book like it. It certainly provided deep insight into Calvin's personality and his heart for the faithful preaching of God's word.

See my blog for a fuller review.

John Weathersby
This was just fantastic! Say what you will, if you must, about John Calvin, this look into the purposes for his Biblical approach(s) to ministry is fantastic.

Love the 5 points hate the 5 points, this is a great read-
Joshua
A good concise exposition of Calvin's expository preaching. The intended audience is lay persons and pastors, so there isn't a great amount of scholarly discussion, which is fine for what it is aiming to accomplish.
Douglas Wilson
This is a very fine, compact handling of John Calvin's attitude toward the Scriptures, and the duties of the faithful preacher in expositing the Scriptures. This is a good one, particularly recommended to preachers.
viktor palenyy
the book focuses not so much on john calvin but using him as an example (and an appropriate one at that) to illustrate good expository preaching. the emphasis lies on the preaching no so much on calvin.
Dan Sudfeld
A concise summary of John Calvin as a preacher. The personal value for me came in the principles that Lawson mined from Calvin's sermons; principles to which I should give heed.
Shawn
Great book! Really gave insight on not just Calvin the man, but into his preaching. We need more men that preach like Calvin preached!
Ian Hammond
I'll probably be giving this as a gift to my preacher-friends.
Enjoyable read. Concise and to the point.
Eric Durso
Calvin was an amazing man. This biography focuses on his method of exposition. Worth another read.
Jonny
This was a biography that focused on the preaching of John Calvin. Quite insightful.
Joshua Horn
Short and easy to read, gives good lessons of preaching from his life.
Christopher Brehm
Excellent biography and look at John Calvin the man and the preacher.
Felipe
Excelente livro publicado pela Editora Fiel.
James
Excellent and easy to read.
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Mighty Weakness of John Knox
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
207653
Dr. Steven J. Lawson is the Senior Pastor of Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile, Alabama, having served as a pastor in Arkansas and Alabama for the past twenty-nine years. He is a graduate of Texas Tech University (B.B.A.), Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M.), and Reformed Theological Seminary (D. Min.)
More about Steven J. Lawson...
The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile) The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile) Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC - AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1) The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther (Long Line of Godly Men Profiles) The Kind of Preaching God Blesses