Start by marking “The Expository Genius of John Calvin” as Want to Read:
The Expository Genius of John Calvin

The Expository Genius of John Calvin (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A book on Apologetics. Examines the Theology of John Calvin.
Published March 1st 2007 by Reformation Trust

To ask other readers questions about The Expository Genius of John Calvin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expository Genius of John Calvin

Derek Brown
Steve Lawson, senior pastor at Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile, Alabama, has started a project - a big project. The project, "A Long Line of Godly Men" is a book series that will survey the doctrines of grace as they have been taught and defended from the time of Moses, to the apostle John, to Augustine, to Luther and Calvin, to Warfield, to present day teachers such as A.W. Pink, Martyn Lloyd Jones, John Piper and John MacArthur. The first installment of this series entitled Foundati ...more
Tony Arsenal
No study of Reformation history would be complete without an entry into the life of the Geneva Reformer, John Calvin. Today I'll review an entry into the Long Line of Godly Men series: The Expository Genius of John Calvin by Steven Lawson, published by Reformation Trust.

This series contains short biographies that focus on a specific individual, and usually a specific aspect of that individual's life and ministry. Calvin, although widely known as a theologian par excellence, however he considered
Philip Mcduffie
Lawson reveals the preaching of Calvin in a way that is extremely applicable for any preacher. The Genevan reformer cannot be imitated on many things, but one can take some very helpful advice on Calvin's approach before and during his time in the pulpit exalting the majesty of the God of heaven and earth.
Peter N.
Whether or not you like this book probably depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a detailed look at Calvin's preaching you will need to go elsewhere. I might suggests T.H.L Parker's book on Calvin's Preaching. Lawson's book is great for a quick review of the main aspects of Calvin's preaching. When I need direction for my preaching, whether delivery or preparation or the conclusion, I can pull out Lawson's book and get some quick input. It is almost like a reference book fo ...more
Timothy Coplin
Marvelous portrait of the Man, the Minister, the Preacher that was and still is JOHN CALVIN.

Chapter headings:
Preface: standing on holy ground
1. Calvin's life and legacy
2. Approaching the pulpit
3. Preparing the preacher
4. Launching the sermon
5. Expounding the text
6. Crafting the delivery
7. Applying the truth
8. Concluding the exposition
Conclusion: we want again Calvins!

Dr. Lawson has brought to life Calvin's convictions - those deep rooted, heart-felt beliefs that fueled and focused his everyday l
Jon Anderson
A good short book focusing on the expositional preaching of John Calvin. It deals with both the preacher and the preaching. Good reminder of the nature of the pulpit and how preachers must themselves be pursuing God even in their preparations. The chapters focusing on the "how" of Calvin's preaching are useful, though some effort is necessary to think through what that would look like today. No one should try and preach exactly like Calvin (or any other preacher, for that matter). First in a ser ...more
What is the best remedy for the issues in the Church today? What will be the best means to focus Christians upon what really matters and who they really are? Do we have a grand, 1 hour period of inspiring music and then a 30 minute exposition of the Bible? What is the best way to worship God in our Church 'services'? How can we get a new reformation started? As Lawson says, "there are no new remedies for old problems. We must come back to old paths. We must capture the centrality and pungency of ...more
Despite our thoughts of John Calvin (1509-1564), one cannot dismiss his impact on the church — effects which we still feel today. While many have written on Calvin and his life, few have written solely of him and his preaching; Lawson seeks to do just that.

It is no lie that my anticipation for this series is high and I’m sure I won’t be let down.

The book covers everything in preaching — from core foundations to all the practical nuts-and-bolts of the preaching development to the concluding remar
John Brackbill
Really can't say enough good about this short book. If you are a regular handler of God's Word in a public way this is a must read.

If you haven't considered the importance of expository preaching it is a good primer through example. If you are convinced of the necessity of expository preaching it is a good kick in the pants to keep it up in the middle of a society that rejects the Word and in the middle of a wide church culture that assumes that a reformation type emphasis on Bible exposition j
Isaiah Jesch
A part of a series of books looking at great men of the faith, this book does not disappoint. Not only is there a good biographical sketch of John Calvin, particularly emphasizing his view and practice as a preacher. Dr. Lawson does a particularly good job challenging and motivating the reader to consider their own views on preaching in light of Calvin. I truly enjoyed this book, as I have almost all of the books in this series.
Michael Rachel
Good, terse, quick overview of Calvin as an expositor. Surely there are aspects about preaching that Calvin can contribute to the modern discussion. The most challenging thing in this book was that it seemed to be another book that elevated the subjective approach of Calvin's preaching to a normative status to be followed by many others. If one doesn't see this assumption, it will make reading the book much more enjoyable.
I actually really liked this book. It focused on Calvin's preaching, which is very dear to me and which I have become very familiar with through transcribing many myself. It gives a call to today's ministers to return to the passionate, reverent, and text-centered approach of Calvin.
Kurt Michaelson
I really enjoyed reading this book, especially since I'm new to pastoral ministry and thoroughly love expository preaching. I've known John Calvin to be an expositor and heard much about "Calvinism" too. But this book by Steven Lawson has helped me to see how important the exposition of Scripture was John Calvin as well as for his congregation.

I have made several highlights of text throughout the book using my Kindle and I look forward to referring to them when I need to.

I would definitely say t
Joseph McBee
Part biography and part preaching how-to makes this a very good read. I need to go back through and notate the contents. I enjoy this whole series, which takes a laser like focused look of a single aspect of the life of great men of the Christian faith.
Gabriel Barnes
Excellent book! The Scholarly language of John Calvin's day was Latin, but Calvin knew Greek and Hebrew inside and out, and yet he never used Greek or Hebrew in his sermons.....
I enjoyed it, the author has another book out called the foundations of grace I also enjoyed. So far he is 2 for 2, check this one out if your interested in hearing about how John Calvin preached, and interacted with his community of believers in the church. Actually done in the manner of helping others preach and teach, it changed my mind on how I delivered the information in my classes. Presenting the material not on a 5th grade level, but also not on a college level, but rather at the cleares ...more
Josh Skinner
Great book focused on how and why John Calvin preached the way he did. Fun read and pretty short
Great summary of Calvin's preaching. Succinct and inspiring to a new breed of expository preachers!
The book dissects Calvin's preaching and highlights over twenty distinctive qualities of his exegetical and homiletical skills. The book contains numerous quotes from Calvin's sermons in order to demonstrate the characteristics of his preaching. A fine read.
Josue Manriquez
As always, Steve Lawson has written another excellent book. This is not another biography of John Calvin, but rather an explanation of Calvin's "expository genius." It contains 32 distinctives of Calvin's preaching, beginning with Calvin's belief in sola Scriptura, and ending with a closing, climactic prayer.
Lawson's short volume packs a punch by focusing on Calvin's role as Pastor and Preacher. He organizes his thought through a series of "Distinctives." In the process of describing key moments in Calvin's life, the author provides a glimpse into what modern pastors can learn from this giant of the reformation.
Dec 10, 2012 Christopher rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christopher by: Seven Sands Chapel (ADAB)
Very good introduction to Calvin and his ministry in Geneva. This book is very short and the author focuses on Calvin's style of preaching, not on his life (there is one chapter on that) or his theological views on other topics. This is a popular level book, but it is worth the read!
Five stars for Calvin and 4 for the book. Calvin was a hardcore expositional teacher: He was teaching through the book of Isaiah when he was banished from Geneva. When he returned three years later his first sermon started on the next verse from where he had left off!
Richard Gambill
Excellent book. A short and easy read. Yet informative and inspiring. Dr. Lawson's final conclusion is nail on: what the church needs today more than anything else is more Calvins who are dedicated to solid expository preaching. I can't wait to read other books in this series.
Adam Smith
Excellent treatment of The methodology of Calvin's preaching. I've never read a book like it. It certainly provided deep insight into Calvin's personality and his heart for the faithful preaching of God's word.

See my blog for a fuller review.

John Weathersby
This was just fantastic! Say what you will, if you must, about John Calvin, this look into the purposes for his Biblical approach(s) to ministry is fantastic.

Love the 5 points hate the 5 points, this is a great read-
Daniel Piva
Ótimo. Recomendo tanto a crentes, estudantes de teologia e pastores, mesmo com já algum tempo de mistério e prática na exposição da palavra de Deus.
Sempre é momento de rever e revitalizar as práticas com boas fontes.
A good concise exposition of Calvin's expository preaching. The intended audience is lay persons and pastors, so there isn't a great amount of scholarly discussion, which is fine for what it is aiming to accomplish.
Douglas Wilson
This is a very fine, compact handling of John Calvin's attitude toward the Scriptures, and the duties of the faithful preacher in expositing the Scriptures. This is a good one, particularly recommended to preachers.
  • The Mighty Weakness of John Knox
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Forgotten Spurgeon
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Preaching and Preachers
Dr. Steven J. Lawson is the Senior Pastor of Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile, Alabama, having served as a pastor in Arkansas and Alabama for the past twenty-nine years. He is a graduate of Texas Tech University (B.B.A.), Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M.), and Reformed Theological Seminary (D. Min.)
More about Steven J. Lawson...

A Long Line of Godly Men Profile (8 books)
  • The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Mighty Weakness of John Knox
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther (Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • The Evangelistic Zeal of George Whitefield
  • The Trinitarian Devotion of John Owen (A Long Line of Godly Men Series)
The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile) The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (Long Line of Godly Men Profile) The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther (Long Line of Godly Men Profiles) Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC - AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1) The Evangelistic Zeal of George Whitefield

“Expository preaching consists in the explanation and application of a passage of Scripture. Without explanation it is not expository; without application it is not preaching."32” 1 likes
“o step into the pulpit is to enter onto holy ground. To stand behind an open Bible demands no trifling with sacred things. To be a spokesman for God requires utmost concern and care in handling and proclaiming the Word. Rightly does Scripture warn, "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness" (James 3:1).” 0 likes