Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Inside the House of Money" lifts the veil on the typically opaque world of hedge funds, offering a rare glimpse at how today's highest paid money managers approach their craft. Author Steven Drobny demystifies how these star traders make billions for well-heeled investors, revealing their theories, strategies and approaches to markets. Drobny, cofounder of Drobny Global Ad...more
Published April 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons

Philip
First, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't very comfortable with finance terminology. There's a lot of *very* technical language and a lot of unintuitive discussions about pricing volatility etc. etc. If you skim over that stuff, it's pretty much impossible to follow the thrust of the book.

That being said, it's a kind of interesting book - particularly in how you get an unfiltered view of what happens at various prop desks and hedge funds. The book is a compilation of interviews with v...more
Duffy Pratt
This book is another set of interviews, in the same vein as the Market Wizards book. The traders here all run hedge funds that specialize in Global Macro. What's Global Macro? It means trading anything, anywhere. Typically, these traders look to long term fundamental aspects of international economies. They are trading enormous amounts of money, even the guys who are mostly trading their own money. The interviews were quite interesting.

The best thing about this book is how clearly, and nearly u...more
James
This is not a book for people not familiar with a lot of financial jargon.
Very little of which isn't explaned.

There is some interesting material in the book,
but the author seems obsessed with the term "GLOBAL MACRO".

He keeps asking everyone what it means,
the best answer on p 217 is from Jim Rodgers,
probably the most famous of all the people he interviewed;
a sarcastic: "I'm not smart enough to know".

That gave me a chuckle and I hoped the author would forget
about GLOBAL MACRO.
He didn't thoug...more
Matthew
An excellent and educational read. Timely follow up to Schwager's Market Wizards series, as it is more up to date and profiles managers who have succeeded in the 90s and 00s. Drobny makes an effort to speak to a wide range of managers, with differing personalities and styles, though all in global macro (though each individual defines it slightly differently). Many tips here on the broad outlines of specific strategies, but what's more valuable is being able to trace their thought processes, and...more
Martynas Kriunas
Great book! I haven't finished it completely - but the structure of the book makes easy to read random chapters now and then. Great interviews and interesting insights from global macro traders and managers. This book reminds me of Market Wizards by Jack Schwagger, so if you enjoyed that one you should surely give a try to Inside the House of Money.
Carl Yang
Easy read, one of few books to interview pure Macro fund managers. Through it, can see recurring themes for Macro traders (always good to be long gamma, never underestimate liquidity impact, etc.). Gives a great history lesson on some of the better Macro trades over the decade.
Brian Zheng
Only after I finishing the book and I realized the author Steven Drobny actually has a newer book called "The Invisible Hands" with similar set of Portfolio Managers. Among all the managers, I found the story of Jim Leitner at Falcon Family Fund is most intriguing and fascinating.
Jason Field
As stated in the description, this does provide a rare glimpse into a world few of us will ever enter. Of course you require a general interest in finance to fully comprehend, but why would you be reading this if you didn't?? Thoroughly enjoyable and also somewhat inspiring.
E
May 17, 2007 E rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: finance people
I am scared of myself for enjoying this book! Kind of the next generation's Liar's Dice - but with interviews of real players in the industry! The interviews are the best part - the bit on global macro *analysis* is a tad boring and general.
Benjamen
Jan 27, 2012 Benjamen marked it as to-read
apparently Peter Thiel's investment style and resultant rise in the hedge fund world in 2003-2005 is the subject of one of the chapters
Jason Sohigian
I had the privilege of meeting one of the subjects of this book--I was inspired by his intellectual curiosity and sincere kindness.
evan pon
mostly dry, lots of stuff i didn't understand. actually skimmed through a lot of it. but some good stories and food for thought in there.
Michael
My favorite part is where Jim Rogers says that even his infant daughter knows not to have any funds in US Dollars.
Manish Agarwal
"Learn about managing money and trading for living from most influential Traders of the world."
Pcarbonell
An insider look into investment world. Underrated and without peer for it's genre
Melissa Du
Boring, but learned some stuff. Was able to skip around a lot. Still, boring.
Matt
Perhaps the best book about investing I have ever read
Taft-McPhee
Better than I thought it would be.
Pj
very esoteric. an interesting read if you enjoy the study of trading commodities, currencies, equities and fixed income.
Valentin Oreshkov
Valentin Oreshkov marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Danielle Stengel
Danielle Stengel marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Diyang Yu
Diyang Yu marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Ne
Ne marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
  • Hedgehogging
  • Hedge Fund Market Wizards
  • Fooling Some of the People All of the Time: A Long Short (and Now Complete) Story
  • More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite
  • A Demon of Our Own Design: Markets, Hedge Funds, and the Perils of Financial Innovation
  • Traders, Guns & Money: Knowns and Unknowns in the Dazzling World of Derivatives
  • The Alchemy of Finance
  • Fiasco: The Inside Story of a Wall Street Trader
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers
  • Fortune's Formula: The Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street
  • The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Markets Perfect Storm
  • Diary of a Very Bad Year: Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge Fund Manager
The Invisible Hands: Hedge Funds Off the Record - Rethinking Real Money The Invisible Hands: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Bubbles, Crashes, and Real Money Invisible Hands, The: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Bubbles, Crashes, and Real Money The New House of Money Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in the Global Markets