Start by marking “To Life” as Want to Read:
To Life

To Life

"WE ARE FREE!"
When Russian soldiers liberate Grafenort, the Nazi labor camp where she is a prisoner, nineteen-year-old Riva discovers that liberation doesn't mean the end of her hardship and suffering.
Cold and starving, threatened with rape by the same Russian soldiers who were her saviors, Riva makes her way to her old home in Poland, searching like so many others for
Published March 1st 2000 by Simon Pulse (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about To Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Life

Daniella DeYoung
Sep 23, 2016 Daniella DeYoung rated it it was amazing
Beth E
Aug 27, 2015 Beth E rated it really liked it
This book looks at a part of the Holocaust that is often overlooked in fiction- what happened to the prisoners after they were freed from concentration camps. Life was not immediately improved for them. They were in poor physical condition, frightened, and worried about the fate of their families. This book shows the struggle to find a place in the world again and to locate their remaining family members. From the nonfiction that I have read, this book gives a very realistic account of what ...more
Catherine
Jan 02, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night, and sat down and read The Holocause Lady in a few hours.

I love the simple language she uses. Her story is so important for everyone to read. I enjoyed hearing about the displaced peoples' camps and her journey to America. Thank you Riva for writing your story so that all of us could learn from the past.
MilanBG Is a boss
So far, To Life by Ruth M. Sender is making it’s way up my favorite books list. It tells an interesting story, informs people of what the holocaust was like, and it is portrays strong characters. The one thing it needs to do is slow down. This book could probably be three times as long if it just stretched the important moments a bit more. But besides this, the story is beautiful! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ⊂
Marissa Farhi
Nov 21, 2014 Marissa Farhi rated it really liked it
To Life was a story that was very sad but also very positive. I never wanted to put down my book and stop reading. The book left you hanging and at the edge of your seat. I did get bored at one little part, but other then that, To Life was a great book.
To Life was about a Jewish girl, Ruth Minsky Sender. She was trapped in the Nazi chambers during the early 1900's in Poland, Russia, and Germany. She lost her family and has always hoped to find them again. Ruth got married and created a family.
Olivia
Mar 27, 2014 Olivia added it
As long as there is life there is hope, at least that's what Riva was brought up to believe. So when she is freed from a German prison camp for Jews she carries that with her. Through trying to find the rest of her family without a home left to travel back to, not knowing who is alive or dead. Riva travels with friends and meets her soon-to-be husband and having her children. Through trying to move to America. Still searching, searching, searching, even after some members are found still looking ...more
Janelle
May 07, 2015 Janelle rated it it was amazing
This is such an important pice of history. The first book by Sender, The Cage, tells about the horrors of the Nazi labor and death camps she survived. This one tells of the displaced persons camps and how long it took for people to find relatives, find hope, and find new homes. This is a piece of history most do not know about. We see that the camps were liberated, and we assume and immediate happy ending. That is not so. Read this.
Caro
May 31, 2016 Caro rated it it was amazing
I first read this book as a young teenager, and it has shaped by understanding of the Holocaust ever since. Her voice - so strong, so viscerally stark and yet so deeply full of loving grief as she relates her family's story - lingers long after you finish the last page. 15 years on, it's still with me.
Patience
Jul 30, 2016 Patience rated it really liked it
As a sequel to The Cage, I liked this book much better. The author provided more emotion and more detail than in The Cage. The first two chapters are the same as the last two chapters in The Cage but I didn't mind because it helped me to know where the story left off. It was an easy read. I enjoyed reading the life of Ruth after the war.
Michelle Schwendiman
Sep 07, 2013 Michelle Schwendiman rated it really liked it
Although Sender sometimes gets repetitive in her book, her true story is compelling enough to forgive the repetitions and simple writing. She is such a strong woman, and I love how she never gave up her mantra "As long as there is life, there is hope". I'm still on the hunt for the 3rd book in this trilogy, The Holocaust Lady.
Renee Brandon
Jun 22, 2013 Renee Brandon rated it really liked it
This book continues Ruth's life after she is liberated from the concentration camp. Again, Sender does a wonderful describing what she goes through and you truly feel that you are experiencing it all with her and cheering her on.
♥Robin ♥
Jul 17, 2015 ♥Robin ♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read, historical
I am not sure what happened but this book was very boring in comparison to the first book. This one seemed forced instead of being full of the emotions from the heart and soul. I wish I would have read the first one and left it at that. Not recommended.
Dec 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is worth reading. It is the second book to "The Cage" and chronicles the writer's life during the 5 year period after the Holocaust.
Tonja
Tonja rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2010
Miesha
Miesha rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Bobbi Dodge
Bobbi Dodge rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Jaime Schwender
Jaime Schwender rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Eireanne
Oct 29, 2010 Eireanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: holocaust
Sequel to The Cage
Kayla Meese
Kayla Meese rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Melanie
Apr 11, 2012 Melanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished, 8th-grade
Boring compared to the original. Read The Cage and then leave the series.
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Danyel
Danyel rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Rachel Foley
Rachel Foley rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Lahari
Lahari rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Ann Marie
Ann Marie rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2015
Marie Jackovich
Marie Jackovich rated it did not like it
Nov 26, 2013
Dom
Dom rated it did not like it
May 21, 2014
Anne-Louise
Anne-Louise rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
  • We Remember the Holocaust
  • My Name Is Anne, She Said, Anne Frank
  • A Visit to Highbury: Another View of Emma
  • Tell Them We Remember: The Story of the Holocaust
  • Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)
  • Smoke and Ashes: The Story of the Holocaust
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • The Hidden Girl: A True Story of the Holocaust
  • Elly: My True Story of the Holocaust
  • Eleanor's Story: An American Girl in Hitler's Germany
Ruth Minsky Sender is a Holocaust survivor. She has written three memoirs about her experience: The Cage, To Life and Holocaust Lady.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Min...
More about Ruth Minsky Sender...