Start by marking “To Life” as Want to Read:
To Life

To Life

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"WE ARE FREE!"
When Russian soldiers liberate Grafenort, the Nazi labor camp where she is a prisoner, nineteen-year-old Riva discovers that liberation doesn't mean the end of her hardship and suffering.
Cold and starving, threatened with rape by the same Russian soldiers who were her saviors, Riva makes her way to her old home in Poland, searching like so many others for
Published March 1st 2000 by Simon Pulse (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about To Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Life

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
Well Written Holocaust Books
162nd out of 512 books — 2,091 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThe Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Hahn BeerA Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal
World War II Memoirs
61st out of 88 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Marissa Farhi
To Life was a story that was very sad but also very positive. I never wanted to put down my book and stop reading. The book left you hanging and at the edge of your seat. I did get bored at one little part, but other then that, To Life was a great book.
To Life was about a Jewish girl, Ruth Minsky Sender. She was trapped in the Nazi chambers during the early 1900's in Poland, Russia, and Germany. She lost her family and has always hoped to find them again. Ruth got married and created a family.
Catherine
I finished this book last night, and sat down and read The Holocause Lady in a few hours.

I love the simple language she uses. Her story is so important for everyone to read. I enjoyed hearing about the displaced peoples' camps and her journey to America. Thank you Riva for writing your story so that all of us could learn from the past.
Olivia
Mar 27, 2014 Olivia added it
As long as there is life there is hope, at least that's what Riva was brought up to believe. So when she is freed from a German prison camp for Jews she carries that with her. Through trying to find the rest of her family without a home left to travel back to, not knowing who is alive or dead. Riva travels with friends and meets her soon-to-be husband and having her children. Through trying to move to America. Still searching, searching, searching, even after some members are found still looking ...more
Michelle Schwendiman
Although Sender sometimes gets repetitive in her book, her true story is compelling enough to forgive the repetitions and simple writing. She is such a strong woman, and I love how she never gave up her mantra "As long as there is life, there is hope". I'm still on the hunt for the 3rd book in this trilogy, The Holocaust Lady.
Caro
I first read this book as a young teenager, and it has shaped by understanding of the Holocaust ever since. Her voice - so strong, so viscerally stark and yet so deeply full of loving grief as she relates her family's story - lingers long after you finish the last page. 15 years on, it's still with me.
Renee Brandon
This book continues Ruth's life after she is liberated from the concentration camp. Again, Sender does a wonderful describing what she goes through and you truly feel that you are experiencing it all with her and cheering her on.
This is worth reading. It is the second book to "The Cage" and chronicles the writer's life during the 5 year period after the Holocaust.
Nicole Krubski
A good glimpse of what life was like post concentration camps for Jews during WWII
Molly
Jul 23, 2014 Molly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: wwii
An interesting side of WWII that you don't ever hear about... What happened after?
Melanie
Boring compared to the original. Read The Cage and then leave the series.
Eireanne
Oct 29, 2010 Eireanne marked it as to-read
Shelves: holocaust
Sequel to The Cage
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Katherine Perry
Katherine Perry marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Monika Alvarado
Monika Alvarado marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
katie
katie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Nury
Nury marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Harry Tomos
Harry Tomos marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany
  • My Bridges of Hope
  • My Name Is Anne, She Said, Anne Frank
  • Behind the Secret Window
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • Upon the Head of the Goat: A Childhood in Hungary 1939-1944
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together [With This Road CD by Jars of Clay]
  • Because of Romek: A Holocaust Survivor's Memoir
  • Kindertransport
  • Facing the Lion: Memoirs of a Young Girl in Nazi Europe
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • I Am a Star: Child of the Holocaust
  • Your Name Is Renee: Ruth Kapp Hartz's Story as a Hidden Child in Nazi-Occupied France
Ruth Minsky Sender is a Holocaust survivor. She has written three memoirs about her experience: The Cage, To Life and Holocaust Lady.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Min...
More about Ruth Minsky Sender...
The Cage The Holocaust Lady Cage