Start by marking “The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)

The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,231 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
After Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn are hijacked to the planet Phindar, they find themselves trapped in a world gone mad. The ruling Syndicat controls the people by erasing their memories. The planet's only hope lies with a band of thieving rebels.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are caught in a mind war.

And if they're not careful, their own pasts will be wiped out forever.
Published August 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Past

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"If routine you count on, disappointed your hopes will bet. It is better to expect nothing, and let each moment surprise you."

Nothing is lost where the Force dwells, and the Force is everywhere.

When Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi are hijacked to the planet Phindar during a mission they find themselves caught in the middle of a civil war between the planets inhabitants and the greedy syndicate that controls them they find that not only are their lives at stake, but something far more
Miss Clark
Oct 01, 2015 Miss Clark rated it really liked it
Rachel Wanlass
Apr 17, 2015 Rachel Wanlass rated it really liked it
Man. Obi-Wan gets captured A LOT! I guess that's what you expect with apprentices. I really enjoyed how Obi-Wan withstood the memory wipe droid. Qui-Gon was totally crazy with stress from Obi-Wan's disappearance, which to me showed how much Qui-Gon really cares about Obi-Wan though he never shows it.

The rock/present was very humorous.
Drew Ck
Jun 03, 2015 Drew Ck rated it it was amazing
Obi Wan is Qui Gon's Padawan, in their first official mission as Master and Apprentice they are detoured and forced to land on a neighboring planet where things are drastic. People are being controlled by erasing memories of dissenters.
Thomas
I had to take a break from this series when I discovered that the used copy I bought was missing several pages. It took me a while to track down a replacement, and while I waited, I jumped into the Myth Adventures series. Now, I'm waiting to get the rest of those, so I decided to jump back and catch up with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's adventures.

In this adventure, the two Jedi are on their way to the planet Gala to assist with its first election, but they're hijacked to Phindar, where they are asked t
Christian Smith
Nov 26, 2016 Christian Smith rated it really liked it
"not gonna lie....these are getting better"
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #43

Background: The Hidden Past came out in August 1999. It was written by Jude Watson.

The Hidden Past begins on Obi-Wan's 13th birthday (a few weeks after the end of The Dark Rival, my review), 44 years before the Battle of Yavin, and 12 years before The Phantom Menace. Other than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, the only character who returns is Obi-Wan's Phindian friend, Guerra. Which makes sense since almost all of the novel takes place on his home planet, Phindar.

Summary: Qui
Jason Pettus
Feb 25, 2010 Jason Pettus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
(I now maintain a blog just for my kid-lit reviews. Find it at http://kidlit4adults.blogspot.com .)

A friend has convinced me to try my hand this year for the first time at writing children's literature; but I don't actually know anything about children's literature, so am starting the process among other ways by first reading a stack of popular books that have been recommended to me. Today's titles are from yet another long-running series of chapter books for grade-schoolers, the kind of franchi
Sally
Feb 07, 2015 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: aacpl-books
Qui-Gon and Obi-wan set out on their first official Jedi mission as Master and Padawan, but what is meant to be a simple observer's role gets more exciting quickly as their transport ship is hijacked and ends up on a planet controlled by a ruthless crime syndicate - and home to some old friends.

...I decided to finally read these because I wanted the background on pre-TPM Jedi life, and I am being sadly disappointed, because so far they're just... bad. And I know they're J chapter books that were
Ali
Nov 11, 2011 Ali rated it liked it
I have enjoyed surrendering to my nerdy side many times, and this book was just another way in which I handed my soul to the dark side of the 'geek'. However, Jude Watson, Never disappoints. I am a college student now and her writing style still appeals to me. It is simple and fun and I am not going to lie sometimes in college you simply want to engage in something childish. This book captures all the aspect of the Jedi's that we have come to love and brings them to life in a form that is easy f ...more
Iset
Aug 08, 2011 Iset rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
One fault all these Jedi Apprentice books suffer from is not being long enough. This really hampers the complexity of the plot and the development of the characters. Because it’s a children’s book, the description isn’t very sophisticated either. I have to say I didn’t particularly like the plot of this book, but it was a nice twist to see the Jedi hijacked and sidetracked from their original mission instead of everything going to plan. The plot was kind of implausible – it’s largely set in just ...more
Luke Ewell
Jul 08, 2015 Luke Ewell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-grade
It is Obi Wans birthday and he thinks he is going to get a warm cloak or something really good from his master Qui Gon. Instead he gets a rock. He doesn't know that the rock is force sensitive. Qui Gon said he found it and when you touch it, it glows up. Obi Wan and Qui Gon have to go on a mission to a planet but the pilot, they find out, is a rebel for a planet. He crash landed the ship on a planet that he was fighting for. Obi Wan and Qui Gon help him so the people can get their rights. The ru ...more
Vicenç Sanz
Ésta saga literaria me está dando una de cal y otra de arena, con un inicio que me daba lo que esperaba de ella (franquicia resultona pero sin nada de jugo) pero un segundo libro que invitaba a la esperanza (malo carismático, pasado del protagonista), pues bien, en ésta tercera hay mucho más de la primera que de la segunda, quedando en general un libro bastante menos interesante que los dos anteriores.

Es como si hubiera que sacar un libro de la franquicia a tiempo y a su autor no se le hubiera o
pamsreading
This one could be stretched, filled with details, then made one dystopian YA book. From this book, I found that Jedi Apprentice series, even though it deals with some serious issues, still has this fairytale vibe or the elements of fairytale in terms of resolution and conclusion of a story featured in each volume, as opposed to Jedi Quest. Jedi Quest is much more violent, in terms of dealing with real world youth/juvenile related problems that are extremely troublesome i.e. carelessness and figh ...more
Joseph
Jan 25, 2010 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: juniorr-o-o
basically i am totally in love with the star wars books and so like i picked this one out of a stack. so basically in this book, obi wan kenobi and quigon jinn are like captured and then sent to this planet which i totally forget the name of but basically the planet is out of control like totally asylum gone wild andlike all hell done broke loose lol.
what the govt on the planet does is basically like wipe peoples memoreis and this is like how everyone is controlled which definitely creates some
Zuzana
Obi Wan is my favourite Star Wars character and this young Obi Wan adventure wasn't half bad for a short YA story. :)

My issue with the "younglings" and the young padawan training as presented in the SW prequels and this series is that those children are way too young to make decisions about their own future. And as a consequence it almost feels like they were sold to the Jedi Order by their parents to become either child soldiers (at the age of 13!!!) if their chosen to become padawans or farmer
Alayne
Jun 28, 2015 Alayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, star-wars
No estuvo tan bueno como los anteriores, pero no me decepcionó para nada.

Cuando hablás de estas historias, tan cortas y simples, aunque llenas de aventuras, no podés decir mucho. No podés hablar ni muy bien ni muy mal, porque o te gustan o no terminan de convencerte.

Cada aventura de Qui-Jon y Obi-Wan me gusta.
Me encanta ver cómo evoluciona de aspirante a aprendiz de jedi a realmente un padawan con un gran maestro. (Y por alguna razón, no sé porque y no lo puedo evitar, me imagino a Obi Wan com
Kelly
Jan 19, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Jewels
Mar 27, 2016 Jewels rated it liked it
Shelves: not-owned
It's nice to see other species and their home environments given the limelight in these tales. I always thought that it was a shame that we only got to glimpse the immense diversity of cultures in most of the Star Wars movies. I am glad to find that the writers take advantage of this and use it to flesh out these intriguing characters. The story in itself was good, and the pace was swift with lots of action. Another great chapter in the Jedi Apprentice series.
Jaime
Sep 13, 2015 Jaime rated it really liked it
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are hijacked to the planet Phindar, where they meet up again with Guerra. There is much turmoil on his world, including a Syndicate wiping the memories of his people.

Then Obi-Wan is caught for the procedure.

It was very strange that Qui-Gon was unable to sense that Obi-Wan was okay.
However, I love how Watson did a throwback to the ANH novelization, where Obi-Wan says he has a brother named Owen.
Meadow Frisbie
Dec 12, 2008 Meadow Frisbie rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
After Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn are hijacked to planet Phindar, they find themselves trapped in a world gone mad. The ruling Syndicat controls the people by erasing their memories. The planet’s only hope lays with a band a thieving rebels.
Qui-Gon and Obi-“Wan are caught in a mind war.
And if they’re not careful, their own pasts will be wiped out forever. But one of them was not careful enough.
Revol Koob
May 08, 2016 Revol Koob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage boys/everybody interested
Interesting plot, fine character development and lots of humor and action = a good book. Of course it could've been better, but it's fine as it is. Qui-Gon surely is a mysterious guy; he cares about his Padawan but he rarely shows it. But the rock... almost the best part of the book. ;)

If somebody knows where to get these in English, please tell me! Especially books 9-18 and the two special books. I'd appreciate it.
Ruth
Jul 24, 2011 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Again another great in this series. Love how strong the bond between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon has already become and how Obi-Wan outwits the syndicate's memory weapon. Highly recommend not only this book, but this entire series. Great background for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's Master/Padawan relationship. Even though these are 'kids' books, they are filled with enough action/adventure to keep adults entertained as well.
K
Aug 09, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
Excellent third book in the Jedi Apprentice series. Book three picks up where book 2 left off. So far each of the three books has been as good as the others. There seemed to be no unnecessary filler a lot of Star Wars books I've read have in them. Definitely looking forward to the next book! 5/5
David
Oct 14, 2015 David rated it it was amazing

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are caught in a mind war.

And if they're not careful, their own pasts will be wiped out forever.
Dwayne Phifer
Nov 09, 2010 Dwayne Phifer rated it liked it
This book was very intresting it talked about a lot of fighting. Anotherthing is that this book had a lot of actions like when Obi-Wan Kneobi and Qui Gon Jinn was hijacked to a planet called Phinder. Something else is that their was this person who can erase people minds his name was Syndicat. Also If Obi-Wan was to mess up Syndicat can erase their minds forever.
Melody Cox
Mar 05, 2014 Melody Cox rated it really liked it
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn have come to a planet where the locals are regularly oppressed and food shortages are force-ably pushed onto them by the local government. Obi and Qui must infiltrate headquarters to prove to the locals that the shortages are false.

I highly recommend this book, however, it did not quite live up to Books One and Two.
Daniel Rose
Dec 09, 2012 Daniel Rose rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
Very interesting story as Qui Gon and Obi won get stranded on a planet after they get hijacked by their pilot. Obi won of course over comes the possiblity of being memory wiped and saves the day. You see a lot of Obi-won's personality as he struggles to understand his master which you see latter with Anakin and Obi-won.
Michael Yankovich
Sep 17, 2015 Michael Yankovich rated it liked it
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are secretly abducted to Phindar by Guerra, a prisoner Obi-Wan saved in his previous adventures. Together with Guerra and his brother, Paxxi, they must free Phindar from the grasps of the evil Sydicat.

Pretty straight forward Star Wars adventure. Great for the kids, a little boring compared to the first two books in this series.
Angela
Mar 19, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
Suitable for 8+ and those who have seen the films.
ObiWan is finally a jedi apprentice and gets his first mission. However, a detour occurs thanks to an old friend. Again, like others in the series this is very plot orientated and moves along very quickly. There's lots of fights in this one, and I'm sure that will appeal to some readers. An ok read.
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Maze of Deception (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #3)
  • Diversity Alliance (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #8)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)

Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)
  • The Mark of the Crown (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #4)
  • The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #5)
  • The Uncertain Path (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #6)
  • The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #7)
  • The Day of Reckoning (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #8)
  • The Fight for Truth (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #9)
  • The Shattered Peace (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #10)
  • The Deadly Hunter (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #11)