Start by marking “گوسفند قربانی” as Want to Read:
گوسفند قربانی

گوسفند قربانی

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  512 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Short Story: Lamb to the Slaughter (Harper's Magazine, 1953)
Published 2008 (first published September 1953)

To ask other readers questions about گوسفند قربانی, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about گوسفند قربانی

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I know this story! I've always thought it's some sort of urban legend about the perfect crime. And I am delighted to read it properly (you can, too, here).

It all happens one afternoon, when the husband comes home and acts all weird and grumpy. His pregnant wife does her best to start a conversation with him, and fails. After two strong drinks, he finally decides to tell her he is leaving her (or so I think - this conversation is only implied). Next, the wife experiences a breakdown and kills him
Mo
Jan 03, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the title of the first chapter of 'The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry'. You can find a copy of this short story here

It will take you about 5 minutes to read it. It is very good, and makes me want to locate a copy of 'Someone Like You'.
LA Licuanan
Feb 16, 2016 LA Licuanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect way to do a murder. Shit! Thanks for the idea
Jago Pang
Nov 03, 2015 Jago Pang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So interesting!!! The plot twist was really dramatic.
Tao Chen
Nov 03, 2015 Tao Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful short story
Jess
Feb 26, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Enthralling but remarkably disturbing “Lamb to the Slaughter,” is a fantastic short story written by Roald Dahl. It tells of the happenings of Mr and Mrs Maloney on one peculiar night after Mr Maloney reveals some terrible news.
Roald Dahl managed to create a perfectly balanced story that is both chilling and comical at once. The vibe created by Mrs Maloney’s unorthodox actions instills a sense of suspense and uneasiness in the reader, and makes you eager to know what she’ll do next. The additio
Levi Smith
Feb 19, 2016 Levi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Lamb to the slaughter by Roald Dahl is a short story about a woman who murders her husband when he refuses to eat dinner after work. The wife, devoted and pregnant wants nothing more than a happy husband , but things go astray when husband and detective Patrick Maloney seems tired after work or so Mary assumes. After he refuses to tell her why he is acting so strangely, he goes upstairs and calls for Mary not to make any dinner. Angrily ,Mary fetches the leg of the lamb she was going to prepare ...more
Luis
Jan 28, 2016 Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie
Nov 06, 2015 Sophie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl. Now this name is certainly associated with the bursts of emotions, tingles down the spine or peals of laughter for me. But as it always happens when you get used to something it stops being so unexpected and impressing. And now while I`m reading Dahl`s stories the constant feeling of the twist doesn`t leave me. So I`m prepared for a `surprise` and when it happens at last I`m not flabbergasted as if it would be at the first time when all emotions just catch you at once.
Today I`ve ch
Julia
Oct 30, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vika
Oct 30, 2015 Vika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What’s this? One more story by Roald Dahl is waiting to be reviewed? Well, let’s do it a favour :).
So, here we have “Lamb to the slaughter”. Will it brighten up your evening? Yes. Will it amuse you and make laugh? Of course, how otherwise with Dahl? But will it make you sit for hours getting to the bottom of the author’s idea? Unfortunately, no. Because there isn’t any.
No doubt, it’s quite funny to read about an ordinary woman who at first sight appeared to be nothing but a dull housewife cook
Olya
Oct 30, 2015 Olya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of Roald Dahl’s works I can assure you that his stories can almost always be characterized by the predictability of their structure: a starting point, development of events and the shocking plot twist in the very last paragraph. However, his short story called “LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER” isn’t built according to the basic scheme.

Surprisingly, the most significant and shocking turn of events, a cold-blooded murder, takes place in the first half of the story. Not very Dahl-like, is
Anna_Lart
I would like to introduce to you the book of Roald Dahl “Lamb to the Slaughter”. This book has really impressed me and here I’d like to tell you why.
This story is about an ordinary middle-aged woman who has routine life. Mary Maloney is a good housewife who is head over ears in love with her husband. It was going to be an ordinary evening with normal dinner. But you know, as they say, still waters run deep.
This story turned out to be a sort of detective and horror story. Something goes wrong an
Jud Tirawieh
انه ليس بكتاب بل قصة قصيرة حيث أن ماري تقوم بقتل زوجها الذي أحبته سنوات طويلة ولكن في القصة لم نعرف ما الذي أخبرها به الزوج لتقوم بذلك فتسرع لتحضير العشاء و تقتله يفخذة الخروف و تتجه بعدها الى المتجر لتشتري الخضار و تقنع نفسها انها ليست هي من فعلت كل ذلك وهذا ما تظهره عند قدوم الشرطة الذي يبحثون ويبحثون وفي المساء تطلب منهم الاستراحة وتناول العشاء الذي لن تقوى على تناوله ولن يفعل زوجها الميت و قد اقتنعوا نهاية فأكلوا الفخذة المطهوة و هم يتناقشون عن سلاح الجريمة وعن كونه قريبا منهم لا بد.
أعجبتني
Sandra Varghese
Mar 07, 2016 Sandra Varghese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read this in English class. Was shocked in the middle of the story but at the same time, I found it utterly hilarious! I read his books as a kid in primary, I couldn't believe my eyes as I stumbled upon this but I am GLAD I DID! Only Roald Dahl could make me feel this many emotions! #lmao #girls-are-crazy

Only takes about 5 minutes to read and if the author can get a five star rating out of me in that short amount of time, he/she is a DAMN GOOD author!
Nicola
c.
Nov 25, 2015 c. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, ebooks, 2015, uni
Well, read this at my English Literature Course as an introduction to short stories. I've read Switch Bitch by Dahl so I kinda knew what to expect; and once again, I was not disappointed. Loved the ending, loved the mystery and loved that it had perfect length - just a very quick, amusing read.
Jenni
Apr 26, 2016 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in class years ago. It's pretty chilling, but so well written. Most of the stories I remember from school, I don't remember enough detail to find again. This one I described to a friend just from my memory, and she went online to find it for me.
Paula
Nov 28, 2015 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't already read several books where the killer feeds the victim to the investigators or to unsuspecting persons. Maybe really novel idea when Dahl wrote this piece.
Mitch
Apr 29, 2016 Mitch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good comic mystery. Haven't seen the Hitchcock adaptation but reading it I can definitely picture it in my head! Just starting to discover the wonderfully dark humor of Dahl's short stories.
Prema Arasu
Dec 05, 2015 Prema Arasu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In teaching I use this as an example of what short story writing should be like. Dahl gives detail sparingly, implies rather than says, and uses ambiguity beautifully,
Lara
May 15, 2015 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nunca habría imaginado que el autor que me entusiasmó de pequeña con Matilda, fuese capaz de escribir una historia en clave de novela negra sin dejar de perder los rasgos característicos que hacen tan disfrutables todas y cada una de sus lecturas.
Paul Carr
Dec 08, 2015 Paul Carr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A darkly humorous, very short story that almost feels like one long joke leading up to a punch line. Well-constructed and detailed despite its briefness.
Georgia
Oct 07, 2015 Georgia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-teach
Such a perfect short story for sophomore standard-level class. Great suspense, perfect amount of irony.
Momshad Alvee
Mar 12, 2016 Momshad Alvee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mikella
Jan 08, 2016 Mikella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this short story, i read it all at once was great and couldn't put it down
Keith
Jul 18, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short mystery involving a murdered police detective and his wife and former colleagues.
Haneen Alaa
absloutly un predicted
one of the amazing short stories I've ever read
Corine
Sep 10, 2015 Corine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this in he storied Life of AJ Fikry! Clever Story.
Joe
Aug 13, 2015 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but so short! If only he'd produced more like this.
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
  • A&P: Lust in the Aisles
  • The Sniper
  • By the Waters of Babylon
  • Reunion
  • A Terribly Strange Bed
  • Mom Meets Dad (Finding Mr. Right, #3)
  • Balance (Martis, #1)
  • The Lottery Ticket
  • Lucy Blue, Where Are You?
  • The Possibility of Evil
  • The Story of an Hour
  • To His Coy Mistress
  • Two Kinds

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...