Start by marking “Jelly Belly” as Want to Read:
Jelly Belly

Jelly Belly

It's tough for eleven-year-old Ned to stop eating. At four-feet-eight inches tall he weighs one hundred and nine pounds, and he keeps growing--wider. When his pareents send him to a summer diet camp, he and his bunkmates can't quite give up their old habits. The joys of candy and doughnuts are so appealing that "cheating" adventures seems to be the only answer. The problem ...more
Published March 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1981)

Best Fat Camp Book Ever. I borrowed this one from my church library and just never returned it. Sorry, Mrs. Bergin.
Apzmarshl
Jul 16, 2011 Apzmarshl rated it really liked it
I read this the first time in fifth grade......I know this because I found my fifth grade teacher's name in the front cover. I kept the book and I'm not sorry. She wasn't ver nice. But I did enjoy the book then and now. I read it recently to the kids. We were looking for something with less substance than Call of the Wild (yuck).
My kids thought it was funny to find out how the boys stashed junk food at fat camp, and the whole book just made me hungry. I'm sure that wasn't the author's intended
Natalie
Apr 29, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I first read this book perhaps 20 years ago. I remember I got it at a Goodwill or one of those thrift stores. To this day it remains one of my favorite kid books. I recently thought about it and decided to pick it up again. I'd read it so many times as a kid, so almost no part of the story was foreign to me, however, I enjoyed it immensely all the same.

It's nice to read the reviews and know I'm not the only one that's now an adult who re-read this book and liked it just as much now as we did bac
Aaron
Sep 08, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-ir-books
Gabriel
Jun 26, 2012 Gabriel rated it really liked it
Another book (in addition to Writing and Selling Science Fiction) whose title I've forgotten for years and only remembered today.

I'm rating the book four stars based on my nine-year-old self's opinion of it; I have no idea what I'd rate it as a seventeen-year-old with somewhat more "sophisticated" tastes. (I also read Jelly Belly--and The Kid Who Ran For President--in a thrift store, so it's not as if I brought it home and re-read it over and over, as with The BFG or Chester Cricket's New Home,
Manaia
Dec 12, 2013 Manaia rated it really liked it
What I thought about this book is that it was very enjoyable and funny to read. This book made me think of my own parents, not because they would send me to a camp only for fat kids like Ned,because they love him for who he is he just really needs to watch what he is eating. One of my favorite characters that were in it was the grandma it also reminds me of my grandma that always tells us to keep on eating all of the sweets that she makes for us. Jelly Belly is a good book for younger ages and ...more
Katie
Aug 16, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now finished "jelly belly" by Robert Kimmel Smith. this enlightening tale is about a boy named ned who is the skinniest kid in his family until his grandma cooked for them. now he is 4'8" and 118 pounds. the kids at shool call him "jelly belly" and his parents send him to fat camp. there, he was unsuccessful, but later on, he really did want to be skinny, and he was determined to lose weight, AND stand up to the school bully who started the whole nicknaming mess.
Erin
Jun 29, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite childhood books and I reread it today before giving it to my kids. When this book was written, being fat was an anomaly, unlike today when obesity is the norm. This book follows Nathaniel on his journey to understanding why and how he became fat and eventually how to fix it. He comes to the realization that it is only himself he is cheating. Excellent book for kids and should be read by everyone in the fat acceptance movement who is kidding themselves that their weight ...more
Habiba
Mar 04, 2015 Habiba added it
Jelly Belly is nickname for fat boy called Nathaniel Robbins, and he has a lot of nickname. Nathaniel like to eat to mush especially his grandmother's cook. And his weigh more than his mother weigh. He go to camp to less his weigh.

I think Robert Kimmel Smith is a good writer. Because he doesn't only tells us the story, he but some dialogue in the book to tell you how the parents convinces his sun to go to the camp, not like "his parent convinces him to go to the camp".
Riley
Jul 18, 2011 Riley rated it it was amazing
I love jelly belly and how he can not loss enough weight so he has to go to camp lean-to. He is so desprit to have something besides camp lean-to's food and so he eats white bread and cheese even though he does not like it. So finaly he tells his grandma to stop feeding him so much food and starts to lose weight.
LinBee
Feb 08, 2010 LinBee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a bit of inspiration.
Shelves: juv-ya, humor, 2010-2011
I first read this when I was about Neddie's age, and just remembered it the other day. So, I re-read it. I must say I enjoyed it the second time, 15 years or so later. It's an inspiration to anyone who knows they are overweight, that they should lose, and just don't have the motivation. Cute, and a fast read. I'll probably re-read it again and again!
Sammantha
Feb 09, 2013 Sammantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Sammantha by: Second grade teacher
Shelves: children-books
This is a younger childhood favorite!! :) I remember my teacher from second grade reading this book to us, I was so into it! I read it again myself and just loved this book so much! I will never forget it! This book will be an everlasting memory. I recommend this book to children, such a wonderful children's read!! It's silly and witty! :)
Indah W
Jul 15, 2010 Indah W rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ini buku bagus lho karena mengupas permasalahan anak2 yang overweight, and kenapa some of them itu berhasil menurunkan berat badan for good sementara yang lainnya ituu selalu aja tiap tahun kembali terus ke kamp pengurusan, ahahaha..

*mungkin perlu ngikutin step2 yang dilakukan si Ned untuk menurunkan berat badannya :D*
Matthew Alexander
Nov 30, 2010 Matthew Alexander rated it it was amazing
Favorite book growing up. Read it 10+ times.
Annaleely Leely
i was upset. i wanted him to be able to eat his grandmother's egg bread and lose weight.
Bobbie
Jun 13, 2012 Bobbie rated it really liked it
I thought that the book was crazy.
Amy
Jun 29, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Another childhood favorite I reread with the kids. Good lessons in it, even though I had to reword a few curses in there. The kids both loved it.
Simon
Jan 13, 2008 Simon rated it liked it
Another one of those Robert Kimmel Smith books...

You may know that I had this one year when I was absolutely obbssesed with his books.
Mike Strong
Feb 12, 2012 Mike Strong rated it really liked it
Loved this book as a kid
Mar 22, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
A surprisingly accurate tale of a young boy's battle with the bulge. Despite the cheesy name, this is a decent book. The characters have depth and all is (realistically) not smooth sailing.
Farha
Jun 11, 2011 Farha rated it it was amazing
i read this 5 times in fourth grade. gahh i<3it to death it was so funny!
Rachel
Jul 28, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
funny,crazy,and cool
Jason Vedder
I read this about 30 years ago...
Kathy
Dec 16, 2010 Kathy rated it did not like it
I thought the book was okay and nice and all but did not interest me much.
Will Plunkett
Will Plunkett rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Ronak
Ronak rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2007
Michael
Michael rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mail-Order Wings
  • Do Bananas Chew Gum?
  • How Do You Lose Those Ninth Grade Blues?
  • How I Broke Up With Ernie
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • The Invisible Dog
  • A Girl Called Al
  • The Littles And The Trash Tinies
  • Treachery and Betrayal at Jolly Days (Secrets of Dripping Fang, #2)
  • Little Wolf's Book of Badness
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • Boys Against Girls (Boy/Girl Battle, #3)
  • Greatest Skating Race: A World War II Story from the Netherlands
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Galimoto
  • Maggie and the Pirate
  • The Fantastic Flying Journey
Robert Kimmel Smith began dreaming of becoming a writer at the age of eight, when he spent three months in bed reading while recovering from rheumatic fever. He enrolled in Brooklyn College in 1947, and served in the U.S. Army, in Germany, from 1951-1953. In 1954 he married Claire Medney, his editor and literary agent. They have two children: Heidi (1962) and Roger (1967). After writing advertisin ...more
More about Robert Kimmel Smith...