Start by marking “Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)” as Want to Read:
Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)

Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute #1)

A fast-moving space adventure featuring mysterious aliens, a journey to a de-populated planet, a mad run from space cops, a ship captain in trouble, and her AI (Artificially Intelligent) companion/ship's computer. Winner of both the Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel of the year and the British Science Fiction Association Award for best novel of the year ...more
Published 1990 by HarperCollins Publishers

Kristian Olesen
At some point in the 1960s, all the hip kids started writing books about nothing. In science fiction, this trend asserted itself in the works of writers as diverse as Philip K. Dick, Samuel Delaney, and Arthur C. Clarke, all of whom endeavoured to take us on ponderous journeys into the heart of the human psyche, eschewing conventional narrative structure, and blah blah blah.

They're all shit.

I hope at least some of the people who've read - for instance - Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama" shared my
Jeffrey
Jan 22, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
fun enjoyable space opera. Got great reviews when originally published may be because the main character is not the usual super competent pilot.

May not be as awesome but still a good fun read.
David Hebblethwaite
Jul 02, 2010 David Hebblethwaite rated it really liked it
The novel on this year’s Clarke Award shortlist that stuck out as being most anomalous was Chris Wooding’s Retribution Falls, because it was the kind of exuberant adventure sf which tends not to do well at the Clarke. Probably the last time a book of that kind won was back in 1991, when the Clarke went to Take Back Plenty by Colin Greenland, a novel which also has a reputation as being one of the founding texts of the ‘New British Space Opera’ that’s flourished in the past two decades.

Quite a we
Paul Baribeau
Jan 04, 2011 Paul Baribeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of Science Fiction. This book really took me by surprise. Had so much fun reading it. Can't convince anyone else to read it though. Too bad for them. This one is a gem.
Susan
The sequels to this book rated awesome covers by Jim Burns but I didn't enjoy this book. It was readable, or I'd've never finished it, but not good enough for me to even read the sequels...
Nicolas
Ce roman nous raconte donc les aventures de Tabatha Jute, pilote d’une fidèle gabarre (l’Alice Lidell) intégrant une IA. Elle va se retrouver malgré elle mêlée, comme d’habitude dans les romans de sf, à une aventure qui va bouleverser l’ensemble du système solaire. Et, grâce à un certain caractère, elle va s’en tirer.
Dit comme ça, ça ressemble à une banale balade dans le système solaire, alors qu’il ne s’agit pas du tout de ça. Au début du roman, il me faisait penser à la mécanique du centaure,
Alice
What if I told you there’s a book with an alien that looks like a demented baby, incestuous twins, a dead woman smarter than all else, and a man who steals the body of an extinct alien? You’d be a little interested, right?

Tabitha Jute isn’t a competent pilot by any means. She doesn’t have all the answers, she can’t pull off the maneuvers that movie heroes do--heck, she can barely land enough jobs to keep her antique ship running. So when she stops on Schiaparelli, Mars to connect with old friend
Koen Crolla
Oct 11, 2013 Koen Crolla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The very first science fiction I read, almost two decades ago, was the newly translated Problemen in Overvloed—or, in its original language, Seasons of Plenty. That's obviously the second book in the series, but eventually I managed to find Theater Tussen de Sterren (that is, Take Back Plenty). I remember liking the books, but I was eleven or twelve years old at the time. Either way, I never managed to find the third or fourth books—because they were never translated, it turns out—so I mostly fo ...more
Shane
Jan 27, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This wasn't earth-shattering by any stretch, but it was extremely enjoyable. I was going to go straight onto the second one in the trilogy, unfortunaltely it gets really abyssmal reviews(on Amazon at least) so I'm now not at all sure I'll be reading it at all. I can't even bring myself to just skip the second and go onto the third, since that one only gets average reviews and says the first book is a lot better anyway.

Still, this one was good. Tabitha Jute is a well written character and her com
Allie
Aug 25, 2015 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take Back Plenty is a fun story that is reminiscent of pulp space adventures. It’s full of action, conflict, and strange alien species. With all the sudden turns, the story sometimes seemed pretty convoluted, but it was always entertaining. Tabitha Jute, the captain of the small ship Alice Liddell, was a very interesting protagonist to follow, and I enjoyed the development of her character through her relationship with her ship’s personality. The other characters seemed neat in theory, but fell ...more
Olethros
-Hay muchas formas de hacer Space Opera, incluso Space Operetta.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En un Sistema Solar controlado sin excesos aparentes por una raza alienígena conocida como Los Capellanes pero plagada de miembros de otras razas incluyendo la humana, la capitana Tabitha necesita dinero para afrontar una serie de gastos inesperados, por lo que acepta el encargo de transportar en su nave inteligente a un músico hasta la estación espacial Plenty. Primer libro de la serie P
Kay Cheung
I was a bit disappointed, considering all the awards this has won.

On the plus side, the lead character and the places she goes to are interesting and it's packed with space-faring detail.

One problem I had was that in many scenes I couldn't quite picture what was happening. Perhaps all the details detracted from my overall understanding.

The other issue was that the structure is broken up between what seems like the main plot and digressions in which the lead is talking to her ship. Although thes
Bill
Jun 05, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A well-written sci-fi adventure, but much ado about nothing. It might make a set-up for a TV sit-com. I ended up reading exponentially faster toward the end so I could get to something more meaningful.

If you like sit-com-lit with discombobulated character who are driven by chance and serendipity, this book is for you.

The best think about the book was the writing and the authors use of allusion and of words I'd never encountered before. Look up names; they relate. The name of the spaceship is a
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/598430.html[return][return]Pretty good (as you would hope for a book that won both the Arthur C Clarke and BSFA awards). Well above-average space opera, feisty female protagonist, solar system where humanity is vying for space and influence with various alien species (like Stephen Baxter's Xeelee sequence but less depressing). Mild rewriting of history to allow us Mars as desert planet with breathable atmosphere and Venus as tropical hell. Generally good fun. Will prob ...more
Stephen Graham
That I had a hard time getting into this novel may be betrayed by how many days it took me to read it, particularly given several days off work. Fundamentally, Tabitha Jute wasn't engaging enough to overcome the irritating nature of Marco Metz and the initial plot. When the supposed protagonist is swept along by events, they need to give you some reason to hang in with them. The novel wound up in an interesting enough place. But I'm not much motivated to go on to the sequels.
Richard
Analog described this as "a wild ride," but for 500 pages I didn't feel it went very far. Instead of feeling "Wow," I felt relieved it was over. Full of crosses and double crosses, but it's yet another novel where I didn't find the characters particularly sympathetic. Greenland did a good job of surprising me with the repercussions of events I'd forgot about, and the loose ends got tied up at the finale. I doubt I'll be up for book 2 any time soon, however.
Dirk
Feb 19, 2012 Dirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who says enjoyable space operas aren't written anymore? Must Colin Greenland have thought, when he started writing this very enjoyable space opera -which put him promptly into the spotlights, winning both the Arthur C. Clarke Award and the British Science Fiction Association Award for the best science fiction novel of the year.
Edward Davies
This is an entertaining story that creates characters that are both likeable and intriguing, but it does get a little bogged down and confusing towards the end. It's obvious why Tabitha became such a popular character, and why this book spawned spin-offs over the years, and fans of female-lead sci-fi will find this a fascinating and wonderful addition to their collection.
Jota Houses
Feb 05, 2017 Jota Houses rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Una especie de Hacón Maltés espacial en el que la protagonista se ve envuelta en una complicada trama y va de acá para allá sin saber ni como ni porqué. A punto de abandonatlo en varias ocasiones. No hubiera pasado nada si lo hubiese hecho.
Igor Raffaele
This book has aged well. It's still fun to read, and contains some interesting world building. It is not, however, a classic. People should be made to re-read books they first experienced in their teens, before they recommend them as classics. You hear me, people? You know who you are.
Dch3jac1
A fun adventure with some great ideas. I especially enjoyed the main character, Tabitha Jute. She's a believable, well-rounded, flawed female hero.
The body of the adventure is great. The end was unsatisfying, it came in a rush - the story deserved better.
David
Apr 13, 2012 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Looks like a great read
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I faintly remember trying to read this and deciding that I definitely wasn't going to, but I can't remember if it was because the story, style, or character(s) annoyed me.
Bo
May 25, 2014 Bo is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far reached page 69
Jose Manuel Vera
no soy excesivamente apasionado de la Space Opera salvo evidentes obras maestras. Este lo leí por los premios que atesoraba, y me decepcionó bastante. Y la traducción es un horror.
Sedagive
Aug 11, 2014 Sedagive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good British space opera.
Joanna
Sep 27, 2014 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but stay away from the sequel.
Renée
Mar 07, 2014 Renée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Great adventure, feisty female protagonist, everyone I forced this book on enjoyed reading it as much as I did. A+ would read again... and I did in my early 20s. 3 times, I think. Fun stuff.
Michael O.
Female Han Solo gallivanting around the galaxy in a decidedly British SF offering. It's a Culture novel with significantly better style and writing, but absent anything really interesting to say.
Jomaweb
Jan 06, 2015 Jomaweb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
bastante decepcionante. Y la impresión que me dió es que con una traducción mejor la cosa hubiese subido de nivel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
SF Masterworks Group: Take Back Plenty, by Colin Greenland 1 2 May 31, 2013 11:57AM
  • Unquenchable Fire (Unquenchable Fire, #1)
  • Drowning Towers
  • Fairyland
  • The Continuous Katherine Mortenhoe
  • The Child Garden
  • Floating Worlds
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • Arslan
  • Tik-Tok
  • R.U.R. & War with the Newts
  • The Jonah Kit
  • Bold as Love (Bold as Love, #1)
  • Helliconia Trilogy
Colin Greenland's fiction and criticism have been translated into a dozen languages and broadcast on BBC national radio. His multiple award-winning science fiction novel Take Back Plenty, long out of print in the UK, is available again in the Orion SF Masterworks series, and for e-readers at SF Gateway.

Colin lives in Cambridge and Foolow with his wife Susanna Clarke, the author of Jonathan Stran
More about Colin Greenland...

Tabitha Jute (3 books)
  • Seasons of Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #2)
  • Mother of Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #3)