Start by marking “The Far Side Observer” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Observer

The Far Side Observer (Far Side Collection #8)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Eighth collection of The Far Side.
Unknown Binding, 104 pages
Published September 14th 1989 by Not Avail (first published September 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Observer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Observer

Evan
Another excellent Far Side collection with a couple of classics, some outright groaners, a few uncomfortably cruel gags, and a lot of laugh-out-loud ideas. As usual, about half show animals or bugs engaged in anthropomorphic activities to comment wryly on the absurdity of human habits. Some favorites here show young Dizzy Gillespie at his seventh birthday party blowing on a party favor with his trademark puffed cheeks, geese looking at a slideshow of their favorite migrations, crash-test dummies ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Far Side Observer contains comic strips I have read over and over. The thing that is so great about The Far Side comic strips is that they are timeless. The Far Side has been, and will always be, in my top three daily comic strips: the other two being Calvin & Hobbes and Peanuts.

It is quite a shame that Larson didn't continue creating his strips like Charles M. Schulz did up until his death. Yes, people do love these comic strips, be we want more, more, more! And since we won't be getti
Mark
Jan 13, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, far-side, comics
I fancied a slight change of pace and so went back to the slim, landscape design Far Side volumes that Warner Books put out in the early 90s (indeed, my first exposure to the strip was through one of these). The “Observer” comes from 1987 and has plenty of great panels in it - my favourites include Ray dooming Earth to annihilation by shaking the aliens hand, God as a kid trying to make a chicken, Domino city, the monster snorkel, vultures and the best of times, the parrot - “Send help!” - and ‘ ...more
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1987 Jan 01

With the goofy scientists, and the badly drawn animals, stop making me laugh so much.

***
2012 July 25

I continue to be amazed at how well these hold up. Larson is amazing.

Library copy.
Vali
May 15, 2016 Vali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
There are two types of people: those who get and appreciate The Far Side and those people who are just lame and lost.
Kaotickitten Box
Dec 28, 2014 Kaotickitten Box rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one is going on the trash.
Gabriel Wallis
Jun 01, 2016 Gabriel Wallis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
An enjoyable book to read.
Ethan
Dec 23, 2015 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loled about nine times.
Andy
Jun 15, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliance!
John
Oct 17, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly - still funny.
TrumanCoyote
Jan 04, 2014 TrumanCoyote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains three of my absolute favorites: "Washington crossing the street," "Inside the sun" and "Bob's been domesticated."
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm addicted to the Far Side, and I think I've read all the collections that have come out. Larson was a delightfully demented and inventive writer & cartoonist. Pity that there won't be any more.
P
Sep 23, 2013 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one again the other day--mostly for the nostalgia. Has two favorites: "I kicked Santa Anna's butt at the Alamo" and "Midvale school for the Gifted." Classic stuff.
Kristen
Mar 04, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulled this one off the shelf again after, what, 20 years? Still funny but since I already knew all the jokes really REALLY well it was more about the nostalgia.
2 Jon C
This book was almost identical to all of the other far side books So you can look at my book review for the far side book I just finished
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember being disappointed when I finished this, but the 4.5 stars anyway shows just how high my expectations from Larson are.
Tara Calaby
Sep 16, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-strip
The Far Side comics aren't my absolute favourites, but they're still a good way to spend a tea break.
Marylu Sanok
Oct 04, 2012 Marylu Sanok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A collection of his cartoons. I am and always will be a fan of his wierd and wonderful mind
Colin
Feb 16, 2008 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite single collection of Far Side panels.
Tia Raina
Sep 21, 2013 Tia Raina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made for a great Sunday morning breakfast read!
Curtiss
Aug 27, 2009 Curtiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, comics, collection
Another collection of Far Side cartoons.
Angel
Another fine collection. Funny and entertaining.
15655 Stockton
so humerious I couldn't put it down!
Jessica V
Aug 30, 2008 Jessica V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you need a "bathroom book"?
Julie
Mar 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2013
Pretty funny. Passed on by my Dad.
Effobee
Great bathroom reading.
Charles
Dec 17, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Larson, man
Ronald
Ronald rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Akhila Vijay
Akhila Vijay rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2016
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • School is Hell
  • Bury My Heart at Fun-Fun Mountain: A FoxTrot Collection
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • What, Me Pregnant? (For Better or for Worse, #10)
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side