Start by marking “In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God” as Want to Read:
In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God

In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God

Gene Robinson is bishop of the tiny, rural Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire, but he's at the center of a storm of controversy raging in the Episcopal Church and throughout the worldwide Anglican Communion involving homosexuality, the priesthood, and the future of the Communion. This book offers an honest, thoughtful portrait of Robinson, the faith that has informed his l ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Seabury Books (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about In the Eye of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Eye of the Storm

Zac Talbott
Mar 04, 2015 Zac Talbott rated it it was amazing
An amazing tale of faith... A Christian faith that by all accounts is evangelical, even orthodox except for one thing — the person of faith is gay and knows that is how he was created, that he is "perfectly and wonderfully made." His ordination as priest to his consecration as the first openly LGBT Bishop of The Episcopal Church while wearing a bullet-proof vest, this (short) Book will inspire and amaze generations to come. A+++
Joolie
May 24, 2008 Joolie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ex-christians, gays wanting to give something to their christian parents for christmas
Shelves: queer, memoir
This is the "sorta-memoir" of Gene Robinson, a very out gay man who was elected to be the Anglican (christian) Bishop to a tiny conservative area in New Hampshire a number of years ago. It tells a bit about his life, his election, the drama and controversy after the election, less in a chronilogical memoir fashion and more as snippets to illustrate a point. He writes about the full inclusion of LGBT folks into the Anglican church and all religions and often eloquently and passionately writes abo ...more
Dec 11, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I've seen several videos of Bishop Robinson preaching, and frankly, In the Eye of the Storm reads like as series of sermons cobbled together to make a point. But what a point he makes! +Robinson has a knock-down, drag-out advocacy for the least, and last, and lost, a gentle humility in the face of world events, and a persistence that's hard to shake.

There is an integrity to his writing that makes +Robinson hard to ignore. He writes in an earthy mode, using narrative: meta-, biblical, and his own
Mary
May 04, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Noonan, Jo, spiritual seekers, anyone and everyone
I first learned of this book by hearing Bishop Robinson on Fresh Air with Teri Gross. Normally, I don't know if I would have picked up this book otherwise (although I might have), but the bishop's interview was so compelling, I became obsessed with it until at last the public library ordered it for me! (So Nac peops, we have it here.) Whee!

Bishop Robinson didn't disappoint. His message is truly Christ-like, compassionate but assertive, bold, and courageous. Robinson reminds us how we all can be,
Laurie
Jan 31, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
The first few chapters of this book were excellent. But as the book went on, I became disappointed. I had really hoped for more of Bishop Robinson's personal story. Instead, he lapsed into more abstract theology - not bad, just not what I had expected. Near the end, he went too deeply into some very specific and time-bound aspects of politics of the Episcopal/Anglican church. The book was published in 2008 and already some of what he said is out of date and would have been better as a blog post, ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok
I was expecting more of a personal story, but instead, it was a lot of theology. I wondered, frequently, if Bishop Robinson was preaching to the choir, and if anyone who needed to be convinced of his legitimacy would be reading the book. It does, however, provide good arguments for anyone seeking to influence the debate about gay marriage or about the role of gay and lesbian men and women in the church. Bishop Robinson is libertarian in his political approach to gay marriage - perhaps not surpri ...more
Lynne
Jun 26, 2008 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, religion
A captivating, thought-provoking book that anyone of faith ought to read. Many will probably be surprised to learn just how "orthodox" Robinson is, and how sophisticated his theology is. Although at times repetitive (I blame his editor for that), this is a beautifully written work that should make any person of faith think seriously about what it means to BE a person of faith, and how to live that faith.
Donna
Jan 07, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing
After hearing Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air interview Bishop Gene Robinson, I picked up In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God. I admire Bishop Robinson's courage and compassion--and despite the many differences and controversial issues that sweep humanity, his belief that Christ's love is all-inclusive.
Hol
Jun 09, 2008 Hol added it
For me one of the highlights of 2007 was getting to hear Gene Robinson speak in D.C., though "witness" would probably be a more fitting word than "hear." Reading this book affirmed my belief that he is one of the prophetic voices of our time, uncompromising in his vision of community and social justice, a truth-teller and radical peacemaker. Just spending a couple hundred pages in his company is occasion for gratitude.
Karen
Apr 24, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure about reading this book since I am somewhat skeptical of both religious/Christian and “gay” themed writing. This book has me thinking about oppression (race, gender, sexual orientation) at a societal level and about the potential and actual influence of religion. Robinson’s thinking is clearly laid out and his arguments are sound- I only hope that I can remember then in times of heated conversation.
Kate
Jan 20, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Bishop Robinson is a deeply spiritual, and courageous man. Bishop Robinson has spent his whole life only wanting to praise and serve God. It saddens me that as a society there is so much divisiveness about homosexuality. In the Eye of the Storm is a beautiful testament of the power and beauty of God through Bishop Robinson. I hope that someday we can live in a society where love supersedes hate and prejudice.
Greg
Sep 08, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing
What a great story of a man who was just trying to live his faith, not intent on changing the world, but ends up changing the discussion and views of an entire Church. I really enjoyed this story. What is surprising is the events were initiated by people in New Hampshire--not exactly a state known as progressive. (State motto: Live Free or Die)
One person, with the help of the Spirit, CAN make a difference!
Kim
Jan 27, 2017 Kim rated it liked it
I met Gene Robinson and heard him speak. He is a good man.
As this book was published in 2008, there are some parts of the discussion that are outdated -- and then there are parts that are very much current no matter what has happened in the last 9 years and what the future might look like. Those who are members of or more familiar with the Episcopalian/Anglican denomination will understand some of the discussion regarding its functions and beliefs.
Missy Mcleish
Jun 25, 2009 Missy Mcleish rated it it was amazing
Gene Robinson writes about his experience the only openly gay bishop in the episcopal church truly from the eye of the storm. This is his story wrapped in Anglican Theology with his mind always on the people at the margins. The writing is very grounded and practical--as all good theology should be.
Pablo  Rodriguez
Sep 08, 2008 Pablo Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians gay or straight
This is an absolutely amazing book. It is part biography, part history, part inspirational and spiritual reading. Gene Robinson's story will encourage anyone who really is searching for understanding. He is conservative and Biblical in his approach to Christianity and just happens to be gay. As a gay conservative Christian, I felt very close to him as I read this book.
Hope N
Jan 17, 2016 Hope N rated it really liked it
The way Gene Robinson expresses himself is deceptively simple, but his message about love, and reconciliation is profound. He challenges the Anglican Communion to live up to its teachings, and he challenges us all, Christian or not, to be better human beings. "Our actions must not end until we have justice for all people," he says. No small task to look forward to.
Jordan Kinsey
This isn't as autobiographical as I'd hoped, but still an excellent read. If you wonder why the small, rural, conservative, diocese of New Hampshire considered him worthy enough to take on the holy title of Bishop, read this book. Then you'll understand.
Meg Petersen
Aug 02, 2008 Meg Petersen rated it really liked it
This was extremely interesting. It gave me a whole new take on Christianity. I couldn't believe I was agreeing with the author so completely, even though he used different language than I might have used. Highly recommended. I say it was amazing because it really challenged my thinking.
Mary Johnson
Jul 19, 2008 Mary Johnson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for courage in a difficult life situation
This is the book of a brave, generous man. I felt privileged to get to know Gene Robinson in the pages of this book. I didn't particularly enjoy the chapters which read like sermons, but even these are not preachy, but come from the heart of someone who has struggled and who still loves.
Kaye
Jul 02, 2008 Kaye rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I greatly admire Gene Robinson, and I think that this book shows both his commitment to God and to other GLBT Christians. However, the work didn't feel cohesive to me, and I wish that the transitions and the chapters were edited more clearly.
Joshua
Nov 24, 2008 Joshua rated it it was ok
I moving memoir about one man's patience and compassion. The book itself seems a little disorganized.
Sam
Jul 17, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, living
This is not only the most thorough exposition of the crisis in the Anglican Communion and its roots, but a stunning description of the way the Holy Spirit lives and moves in the world.
Mars Girl
Oct 05, 2008 Mars Girl rated it it was amazing
I wrote a review of this book at my blog: http://marsgirlonwheels.blogspot.com/...
Anna
Aug 17, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
A compassionate, loving, and honest look at the life and foundational beliefs of Gene Robinson--an openly gay bishop.
Amy
Nov 19, 2008 Amy marked it as to-read
Heard him speak at an event recently and he was great. Makes you want to love everyone and be hopeful for the future. Definitely want to read this to see what else he has to say.
Sharon
Aug 16, 2008 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book that captures Gene Robinson just right. His discussion of the power of joy is lovely and I find I come back to it often.
Kris
Aug 22, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful and inspiring story about faith. I met the bishop last year. He has this wonderfully calm attitude about life and religion.
Allie Riley
Allie Riley rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Malcolm McPherson
Malcolm McPherson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America
  • Unfriendly Fire: How the Gay Ban Undermines the Military and Weakens America
  • What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage
  • Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches
  • My Almost Certainly Real Imaginary Jesus
  • Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search For What Saves Us
  • Feminism is Queer: The Intimate Connection Between Queer and Feminist Theory
  • Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians
  • Anglicanism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Here I Stand: My Struggle for a Christianity of Integrity, Love, and Equality
  • Letters of John Newton
  • Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth that Could Change Everything
  • Seeds of Hope: A Henri Nouwen Reader
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship
  • Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship
  • Red Dirt: Growing Up Okie
GENE ROBINSON was born and raised in Lexington, Kentucky, and graduated from the University of the South with a B.A. in American studies and history. He completed the MDiv degree in 1973 at the General Theological Seminary in New York, and was ordained deacon and then priest, serving as curate at Christ Church, Ridgewood, NJ. Robinson is a Senior Fellow at American Progress. He was elected bishop ...more
More about Gene Robinson...