Start by marking “Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)

Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,066 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
Gerard Doyle's masterful performance on audio sweeps you into the wondrous epic world created by Christopher Paolini. This special collection includes the first two audiobooks in the Inheritance cycle, "Eragon" and "Eldest, "for nearly 40 hours of listening pleasure.
"Eragon" (14 CDs):
Fifteen-year-old Eragon believes that he is merely a poor farm boy-until his destiny as
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 16th 2008 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published August 23rd 2005)

Siobhan
Nov 23, 2015 Siobhan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel as though this series is one whereby only the generation it was brought into enjoyed it.

I will admit these are not my favourite dragon stories, but as I’ve always had a love for dragon stories I’m one of those people who enjoyed the books somewhat. That being said, the first book was probably the only one that I really enjoyed.

As a whole if you love a good dragon story they’re worth a read if you’re willing to go in with a mind free of negative reviews otherwise you’ll be picking up on th
Vicky
Nov 04, 2011 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved it. I have already started Brisinger and the 4th book will be headed my way as soon as it is released Tuesday. Had to add this one the the favorites shelf and hopefully the other two will find their way there as well.
Megan
Aug 12, 2008 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had a really hard time with how bad the writing was in the first novel - Ben and I were reading this aloud while driving, and I kept interrupting with exclamations of dismay. (Really, how many times can something be described as 'liquid silver'? And how many chapters do you need to end with someone being hit on the back of the heading and blacking out?)
Given the lack of resolution at the end of the first book, however, and given that I had the second right there in my hands, I continued on. Pa
Mick
Oct 19, 2015 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books Eragon and Eldest were . . . Interesting to say the least, though I did enjoy the storyline. The books just seemed a bit, well, plagiarized. When I read the story all I could think of is Star Wars. I mean a boy who believes his parents to be dead is taken under the wing of an old mysterious man. The old mysterious man just so happens to be skilled in many different areas and teaches the boy everything he knows. Doesn’t that sound familiar? Just wait, it gets better. The boys dead dad? ...more
Liz
Dec 30, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Eragon:

I found this treasure during my junior year of high school, recommended by a fellow classmate in science class. I picked it up,intrigued by the idea of an epic adventure, and was not disappointed in the least. I remember diving into its pages on the bus after school, completely lost in the world Paolini created. Having never been a real fan of the LOTR book series (though i loved the movies) I was wary of any novel of the same genre, but this book left me enraptured and eagerly anticipati
sMarty
Mar 14, 2009 sMarty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone (this book includes book 1 and 2)
Recommended to sMarty by: Spencer Allen, and Juliana
Angela Watts
Alright, so, years ago, Eragon was my top favorite book. Not unusual, since I had-still have- a deep love for dragons, and whether it was 'Eragon' or 'Dragon Rider' (by Cornelia Funke)... I lugged those books around with me and reread my favorite bits.
Not so long ago, I got my hands on Eldest. Alright. I was still in total love with Eragon, so Eldest wasn't bad at all. I was, of course, furious at the ending (spoilers, so I won't say why. ;) ). It was when I got half way through Brisingr I just
Miriam
Apr 14, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cannot believe it has taken me two years to get around to reading the second book in the Inheritance Cycle. The book begins with Eragon and Saphria traveling to Ellesmera to complete their dragon rider training amongst the elves. But while they try to fit decades of training in to mere weeks and months, we learn about Eragon 's cousin Roran as he attempts to protect the mountain community from the Empire. While I found the book enjoyable to read but is pales in comparison to other fantasy novel ...more
Allison
Jan 09, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent books (don't let the movie delude you, the book is so much better). I did like the second, Eldest, every better than the first. However, if you are like me and don't like waiting for the next in a series, the third book isn't scheduled to come out until next September and then who knows when the fourth and supposedly final book will be release. Science fiction well written.
Lisa
Dec 25, 2011 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the Eragon section 02-06-10
Can't wait to find out what happens next!!! Very upset with myself for letting the size of the 2 books together in one volume keep me from reading this for so long. So far, could be one of my favorite!!!

Started reading Eldest 12-109-11
Sara
Sep 27, 2008 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little long and wordy, but I liked them. I guess my only complaint is that at times you can really tell they were written by a teenager, but still I was impressed. There is no way I would have been able to write books like these when I was seventeen.
Amy C
Apr 18, 2008 Amy C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
I started reading Eragon with my kids and got totally sucked into the story. It is full of imagination and plot- unlike the movie. Can't wait to read the 3rd one together.
Nina
Jul 25, 2009 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers.
Recommended to Nina by: Word got around it was good, you know. Thought I´d try it.
My favourite books so far, though I know I have much more to read. I can't wait for the third one, and I've already read these both twice, but I like Eragon quite a lot more.
Jimeel Barrow
In this book you follow the life of a poor farm boy named Eragon. He lives with his uncle since his mother had to leave. He help on the farm and one day while in the woods hunting he finds a strange looking rock, that's actually and egg, and tries to sell it. No one buys it because of where it was found. Then one day the Ra-zacks came into the village and they're after Eragon. He then decides to leave and run to kill the king, otherwise his "uncle".
I recommend this book to anyone who will enjoy
America
Apr 06, 2008 America rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not much original work in these two novels.
Jake H
Jan 03, 2008 Jake H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes adventure and Medieval times
These two books are about a guy named Eragon. Eragon is a young man who lived in a small town in medieval times. Eragon grew up as an orphan. Winter was coming and since his family, he lived with, were farmers they didn't have much money, so every fall he would have to go hunt deer. Eventually, he got really skilled with bows. One fall he was tracking some deer when all of a sudden out of nowhere a blast of fire scared him, making him duck for cover and he found a "stone" which turned out to be ...more
Colin CG
alright, here goes my first review ever, bear with me if it's terrible! These books, Eragon and Eldest, are decent books for being written by a 15 year old, but they do have flaws. As a die hard Lord of the Rings fan, this series seems to take a lot from LOTR. I actually have a theory that the Eragon series takes place many years after the LOTR trilogy, but we won't get into the details of that now. The reading is easy, and flows nicely, Paolini does a good job of keeping the reader involved. Th ...more
Joan
Jul 30, 2008 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put off reading this for a long time because I just wasn't interested in an amateurish attempt at making a dragon fantasy interesting. In spite of the good reviews some of my family have given me, I resisted. Then one day I was in the mood and I was completely wrong about what I thought the book was going to be! I really enjoyed--a lot more than I expected to. Good character development and good story line with what I thought were realistic accomplishments and feelings of an adolescent boy bei ...more
Nikki
Jul 09, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
I LOVE "Eragon" and "Eldest"! So exciting to read these books and Eldest, especially, is an unrelenting page-turner. I stayed up way too late last night because I had to finish the book.

*SPOILER-ALERT*

WOW! I knew that Murtagh wasn't dead, but I really thought that he would resist Galbatorix and that Eragon would save him. I just liked Murtagh so much, I wouldn't let myself think that he would really succumb. It's funny that because of listening to "Eragon" as an audiobook that I now read Murtagh
Ihavenomoney4books
DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE UNDER ANY KIND TORTURE

that said. the first book is very simple. the language is sort of poor but then again the kid was nineteen. but read it. the plot is simple but it's good.
the main character is not cliche.
the dragon speaks what is pretty cool and there are no soppy gwey love storys.
plus the guy's tutor is awesome
and more importantly the story grows but does not make up stuff out of the blue.
it's a quest.
the second book is much better !!!
Amariah Dixon
Dec 05, 2014 Amariah Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my most favorite book series ever!! I read Eragon when I was 12 and thoroughly enjoyed it, reading it every minute that I could. It was my first "big kid" novel, and the adventure was very alluring. I didn't find Eldest to be quite as exciting and fast paced as Eragon, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Aside from that, I loved the stories. Pre-teens and teens who enjoy fantasy, adventure and (especially) dragons, will find this series a great enjoyment! :)
Jing
Dec 31, 2007 Jing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like fanstasy
Shelves: advisory
This book starts out with a boy named Eragon. When he found an egg which hatch into a Dragon, he was pulled into an adventure that change his life instantly. While in it, he had met some people such as Brom a so called merchant and Murtagh a mysterious warrrior. Each one has a past realted to him. With the help of hsi dragan Saphira bonded to me in a certain way, he travels to Vaden territory to take shelter against the evil king of an empire. He late discovered his true abilities in a battle t ...more
Jody
Feb 25, 2009 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this because I won it at the Breaking Dawn release party and it happened to be upstairs while I was searching for something to read.
Someone told me this book (these books) wasn't very well written so I hadn't been going out of my way... Anyway, it was definitely clunky in the beginning, felt a little thesaurusy, if you know what I mean, and a few of the ideas in the story got off to a rocky beginning (all the sudden something the main character could do something that really d
Sam Verduzco
Feb 17, 2008 Sam Verduzco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to Sam by: My aunt
WOAH! Eragon rocked my socks off. The most thrilling book I've ever read! Each time I opened the cover I felt like I was zapped into Alagëasia. Totally realistic, on an emotional level anyway, considering this is fantasy, and completely well written from the cover to cover. Each chapter just got better and better and I can still remember the story and replay how I pictured it in my head like a movie. (So what if I'm a geek?)
I got really far in Eldest, but never actually finished it. Some people
Kyle Cato
Jun 06, 2014 Kyle Cato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a two in one book that is 1186 pages long. The first book begins when a poor farm boy find a blue stne in the forest. He would bring it home so he can sell it for food for the winter. But the stone brought him a dragon then he realizes he found a legacy as old as the empire. He takes it as his,own know he fights for the world from an evil king with no bounds.
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most everyone
Shelves: fiction
If asked to place this book, i would say that it is a happy medium between the seriousness of the Lord of the Rings and the playfulness of the earlier Harry Potter books. It was not until i read the books a second time that I found out that Paolini wrote Eragon when he was 15 and had achieved bestseller status by the time he was 19--that only adds to the books, I think. The plots of both of these books move along well, with plenty of action character development. While i did not see the film, i' ...more
Rie Drayce
Apr 13, 2015 Rie Drayce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering this series was started when the author was only 15, the story is excellent. Though imperfect starting out, the writing continues getting better as the series goes, showing how the author improves his efforts as he goes. I love this series. It is a great story full of trials and adventure through many viewpoints.
Kass
Feb 13, 2008 Kass rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage boys, men
Recommended to Kass by: husband
I loved Eragon from the start. It flowed and had a great pace to it. It was fun and different from anything I'd read in a while. I really liked it so I was excited to read Eldest when it came out. Eldest was a disappointment. It was almost as if the author had one idea when he started (was supposed to be part of a trilogy) and then realized he could sell more books by stretching things out to four books and kind of patched the second book together sloppily. It was not as fast-paced as Eragon and ...more
An Odd1
Aug 28, 2011 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have read Eragon, and seen the movie twice. I posted the reviews separately for each volume of the double edition. My long-ago opinion was 5*. I will continue, not yet knowing if I have read Brisinger. Plot seems easy to predict, more for the overkill of clues than my memory, I think.
The first and the second half of the second were the most exciting action. Eragon fades away when the focus shifts to the Eldest. I like Paolini's style already; maturity may improve his work.
The bonus on the doub
Yasmin Abdeen
May 13, 2014 Yasmin Abdeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best fantasy series I ever read. The first book is a bit prosy but if you bear with it you won't regret it. It's one of those stories that make you wish was real once you're done with it. It's a piece of magical genius, no less.
Charactors 3 21 Nov 10, 2011 07:21PM
  • Artemis Fowl Boxed Set, Bks 1-5 (Artemis Fowl, #1-5)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan / The Burning Bridge / The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice #1-3)
  • The Travelers: Book Two (Pendragon: Before the War, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-3)
  • Septimus Heap Box Set: Magyk and Flyte (Septimus Heap, #1-2)
  • Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set, Books 1-5 (Harry Potter, #1-5)
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • Maximum Ride Five-Book Set
  • The Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkworld, #1-3)
  • The Bartimaeus Trilogy Boxed Set (Bartimaeus, #1-3)
  • Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star; Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #1-3)
  • The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • Gregor the Overlander Box Set (Underland Chronicles, #1-4)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • Warriors Box Set  (Warriors, #1-6)
  • Tiger Moon
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall
More about Christopher Paolini...

“Atra esterni' ono thelduin
Mor' rana li'fa unin hjarta onr
Un du evari'nya ono varda

(May good fortune rule over you
peace live in your heart
may the stars watch over you)”
57 likes