Start by marking “Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story” as Want to Read:
Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story

Big Dog...Little Dog: A Bedtime Story (Fred and Ted)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  3,451 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Illus. in full color. "Two dogs who are opposite in every way are also the best of friends. The bold, colorful drawings are appealing and emphasize the concepts of size, color, and opposites."--Booklist.
Published August 12th 1973 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Big Dog...Little Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Dog...Little Dog

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
3,915 books — 5,425 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,073 books — 1,339 voters

More lists with this book...

AleJandra
Yo le pensaba dar 2 estrellas, pero mi niña dijo que 5. Asi que lo deje en un término medio, 3 ESTRELLAS.

Aunque no creo que la opinión de mi hija sea objetiva, a diferencia de sus otros libros que ha calificado, ya que este libro se lo regalo su abuelita el día del niño. Asi que para ella el libro tiene una carga de cariño extra.

Me encanta que tenga libros en español y este libro es muy lindo y divertido. Ya habíamos leído Go, Dog Go . Asi que ya estábamos familiarizadas con las ilustraciones
Trevor Wetzel
Sep 11, 2013 Trevor Wetzel rated it it was amazing
I love the book “Big Dog … Little Dog.” This book has been my favorite ever since I was very little. The story starts off by introducing the big dog and the little dog, Fred and Ted. It describes the two dogs, saying what they like, what characteristics they have and what they do. Fred and Ted then go to a trip to a mountain. Ted skied all day long and Fred skated all day long. Then, they go to sleep in a small hotel but, neither of them can sleep because Fred’s bed is too small and Ted’s bed is ...more
Tim Hackbarth
Mar 24, 2014 Tim Hackbarth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Big Dog, Little dog is an anthropomorphic book that explore two friends and their ability to solve problems on their daily adventures.

The dogs are living in regular human situations which is why I classify it as anthropomorphic. Fred and Ted go on several adventures. The difficulty comes because they have a size disparity as the title indicates. They also like opposite things. The conclusion of the book poses a problem that cannot solve without a third party (a bird).

Big Dog, Little Dog is a g
Amy
Aug 16, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
This book lived at Gramma's house when I was growing up, so I can't read about Ted and Fred without being flooded with memories of my own childhood! These dogs are witty and clever. A funny story about Big Dog...Little Dog: This book lived only in our collective memory for many years. My sister and I were almost convinced we were making it up, because no one seemed to know about it. Then, the weekend of my brother's wedding we were discussing it and asked if anyone knew about Ted and Fred. Jeff, ...more
Tyler Wetzel
Mar 21, 2016 Tyler Wetzel rated it it was amazing
Personal response: I read this book to my little brother who loved it. This use to be my favorite book when I was younger. My brother and I both agreed that this book should be rated five stars.

Plot summary: The plot of this book is that there are who are very different. One is big one is little. One likes green one likes red. One likes to go fast one likes to go slow, ETC. These two dogs just go along there day saying what they like and its always different. The only thing that is the same abou
Emerson and Theodore
These two friends--Ted and Fred--are different: one big, one small, one fast, one slow, one skates, one skis. They are good friends and nothing is really made of their differences until their sleeping arrangements get mixed up! So I guess you could say that it teaches a lesson about accepting our differences. The Eastman books follow in the Dr. Seuss tradition but they are never quite as genius as a true Seuss. But they are VERY good.
Morgan W.
Nov 21, 2016 Morgan W. rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I read on my own (I still remember reading it to my kindergarten class). I have very fond memories of it.
Casandria
Great easy read for K-2
Blake
May 27, 2015 Blake added it

I read “Big Dog … Little Dog” by P.D. Eastman. I read this book to my little cousin, Carter, and he loved it. I also loved reading this book when I was little. I used to have my mom read it to me before bed.

The story started off by introducing the big dog and the little dog, Fred and Ted. It explained how the dogs looked and acted. The both of them went on a trip to a mountain. Ted skied while Fred skated all day long. When they got back to the hotel room Fred and Ted both encountered problems.
Angel Romero
Nov 27, 2013 Angel Romero rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fiction
Summary: Fred and Ted are two best friends. This story is a great math read aloud. Fred and Ted illustrate opposites. Fred is tall and ted is short. Many opposites are described in this great story.
This book is intended for kinder through first graders. The dogs are personified to describe opposites that essential for development. Children will feel connected to the characters.
Literature terms: Fred and Ted show personification. They speak and drive and paint houses. This strategy allows the d
Alicia Singleton
Big Dog…Little Dog is a book about two different dogs; one is big, Fred, and one is little, Ted, and they live total opposite lives, but they are best friends. They play different instruments, they eat different things, they like different colors. One day they decided to go to the mountains. After their day is done, they go to a small hotel. Fred goes upstairs where he sleeps an on small bed and Ted goes downstairs where he sleeps on a big bed. The next day they talked about how bad they slept. ...more
Alexsandra Diaz
Oct 28, 2014 Alexsandra Diaz rated it liked it
Big Dog…Little Dog is a great story of how opposite people can become best friends. This story show how each dog is different from one another but they are both able to look past their differences and become good friends. The only difference they struggle with is the sleeping arrangements but they still are friends. It is a fable story where animals come to life to tell a story this time about friendship. This story has good and clear illustrations for young children. The moral of this story is ...more
Evelyn Mauldin
Nov 17, 2015 Evelyn Mauldin rated it really liked it
Every passage in this book is presented in both English and Spanish. This is beneficial for dual language learners in the classroom, as well as exposed other children to other languages. There are also many comparisons (e.g., larger and smaller, taller and shorter) made through out the book that could be used to incorporate early math skills. In the story, two dogs go on a trip together and stay in a small hotel. Neither dog sleeps well that night, because the big dog's bed is too small and the ...more
Bader
Jul 22, 2008 Bader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل سأذكر بعض النواحي التي اهتم بها مع ذكر أمثلة:
- المتضادات (طويل قصير ... (
- الألوان (الأحمر والأخضر على وجه الخصوص)
- الماضي والمضارع (era .. مضارع / esquio ... ماضي .. )
- أفعال جديدة (يحتاج الجزء هذا بذل المزيد من الوقت والجهد خاصة في البحث عن الحالات والتصاريف المختلفة لها للفائدة).

- مغزى القصة يذكره الطائر في آخر القصة. وهو "لماذا نبحث عن المشاكل حيث لاتوجد ".
قد يكون أيضًا يتحدث عن أن بعض الحلول تكون سهلة وهي من معرفة اختلافنا وكيف نقابل حاجاتنا مع هذا الاختلاف.

أضيف إلى ذلك: الرسوم بس
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The concept of opposites can be explored in a playful manner with Perro Grande. Perro Pequeno. Suitable for a child of 3, the repetitive text and rhyming foster a love for reading by promoting print motivation and developing the child’s vocabulary skills. Children at this age are requiring an explanation of things, so connecting them to a book such as this during a shared reading, only encourages deeper speech and language development. When a caregiver reads this book to a child, the practices e ...more
Haizelbear
Apr 03, 2016 Haizelbear rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-230h
I absolutely loved this book as a child, but after reading it again as an adult, I can't understand why I used to like it so much. This book tells the story of two friends who have opposite opinions about everything. They go on a trip to the snowy mountains and one gets a bed that is too small and the other gets a bed that is too big, so they decide to switch and end up sleeping much better. The illustrations look like they were created with some kind of paint and black ink. I could use this boo ...more
Beth
May 13, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Big Fred and Little Ted are good pals even though they have different interests and traits. This works well to make a comparison chart.
Fred Ted
has money broke
gets wet stays dry
plays flute plays tuba
likes spinach likes beets
likes green paint likes red paint
slow driver fast driver
ice-skates skies
The bird solves the sleeping arrangements difficulties and shares a valuable lesson.
"Why make big problems out of little problems?"
Heidi-Marie
I think this was my favorite of "the Dog series."

5/14/14 Read this in my "Miss Heidi's Mom" preschool themed storytime. A lot of the kids were excited for the book because they had it at home. They liked telling me what the opposites were. I pointed out a few other things and overall the book went very well. The kids really liked it, which is nice considering how very simple it is as a story.

4/13/15 Read in Movement storytime. Had tiny crowds of very young kids, but this still worked for them.
Samantha
Aug 28, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Fun book about two friends, Ted and Fred, who are very different yet get along fabulously. One is tall one is small, one drives fast one drives slow, one likes to skate and the other likes to ski. They get all mixed up when their bed arrangements are not correct, but figure it out in the end that big dogs need big beds and little dogs need little beds. My favorite line of the story was the birds; "why make big problems out of little problems?". I think the great moral behind this book is that ev ...more
Spencer Moser
Big Dog Little Dog is about two dogs that are best friends but they have nothing in common. They both like different things, they are two different sizes, and they have different interests. They try to go on a vacation together, but things don't work out. They eventually learn to work things out and realize that it;s okay to not have everything in common. They become closer after this realization. I would use this story as a way to show kids that you can be friends with individuals who are not t ...more
Tam
Dec 07, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
This was a good book to show my 4-year-old the meaning of opposites.

Some are specific examples . . .
Fred is tall, Ted is short.
Fred has money. Ted is broke.
Upstairs. Downstairs.
Uphill. Downhill.

Some aren't exactly opposites but not the same either . . .
Fred plays the flute, Ted plays the tuba.
Fred eats spinach, Ted eats beets.
Fred drives a slow green car. Ted drives a fast red car.

Bree
May 17, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
P.D. Eastman writes a lot of the Dr. Suess I Can Read books so my daughter picked this up because it was familiar to her. This book had a very easy message and was stated on the last page: "Why make big problems out of small problems?"

Illustrations were the classic P.D. Eastman look. The story rhymed all the way through. 3 stars only because it didn't really jump out at me with story/words or illustrations. It was just average.
Heather
This book is the reformatted version. I believe it was expanded by the son.

My 4-yr-old LOVES this book. He thinks Fred and Ted are the funniest guys around. We've read this many, many times in the last week since buying it. He's even reading it himself - sounding out the words he's heard.

I like the book because it's easy for my begining readers. It also teaches size, opposites and problem solving. Even a little color - well, just red and green!

Angie Kohout
Mar 30, 2015 Angie Kohout rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: k-2
Plot: Meet best friends Fred (Big Dog) and Ted (Little Dog) in P. D. Eastman’s classic Beginner Book. Though one is big and one is little, and one loves green and one loves red, these pup pals—along with their helpful acquaintance, Bird—prove that opposites can be the very best of friends.

Setting: United States in the Mountains

Characters: Big Dog, Little Dog. and Bird.

Point-of view: Third person.

Theme: Friendship can over come obstacles.

Style: Rhyme.
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers learning about opposites
Recommended to Karen by: Edmond Oklahoma Library
My son checked this out of the library and loved it so much we had to buy it from them!! He slept with it, he took it everywhere. Not sure what the great attraction is, but it looks completely hammered. LOL

This is a book about opposites. A great thing to review with preschoolers! Fred and Ted are best friends, even though they do just about everything differently.

It also is a great lesson in uniqueness!
Dianna
Dec 08, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. A short, simple parallel story about two different dogs who tend to do and be opposite things. They go stay in a little hotel, but the long dog gets the short bed and the short dog gets the long bed. Luckily a bird advises them to switch so they can get some rest.

I just love the simplicity of this story. I could read it over and over.
Connie
Jul 23, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple enough for any kid with the bare basic proficiency in reading :)

Or, you could read it aloud to a younger child, that works too.

My nieces (5 and 2.5) request this book often enough. I'm not sure what grabs them - the opposites, Fred's plain bad luck, the silly problem and solution at the end - but they do like it a lot.
Evan
This classic children's picture book about dog friends Fred & Ted is a great presentation of opposites sure to delight young children and early readers. The bilingual version is a staple of my Spanish classroom as the simply written descriptive sentences help novice learners build confidence in reading.
Evan
Apr 09, 2010 Evan rated it it was amazing
Ted and Fred got in the wrong beds. Fred's bed was too small. Ted's bed was to big. The bird told them to change beds.

The beds were in the small hotel in the mountains.

I liked the part when they got mixed up in the beds. That is it period. I didn't mean you to write that. He he ha ha! Dad can you please stop?
Nancy
Jan 31, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I checked this electronic book out of the Rockford Public Library. I wasnted some books to read to my grandchildren, when we vistied them in Arizona. I used to read P. D. Eastman books to our sons. The grandchildren enjoyed this book.
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • The Eye Book
  • The Nose Book
  • Going to the Firehouse
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • Roadwork
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Morris the Moose
  • I Love It When You Smile
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Philadelphia Chickens: A Too-Illogical Zoological Musical Revue
  • Henny Penny (Paul Galdone Classics)
  • My Very First Book Of Numbers
  • Splat the Cat: Good Night, Sleep Tight
  • Curious George Visits a Toy Store (Curious George New Adventures)
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...

Fred and Ted (4 books)
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books)
  • Fred and Ted's Road Trip