Start by marking “Victory Square: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Victory Square: A Novel

Victory Square: A Novel (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  428 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The revolutionary politics and chaotic history at the heart of Olen Steinhauer's literary crime series set in Eastern Europe have made it one of today's most acclaimed, garnering two Edgar Award nominations, among numerous other awards. Upon reaching the tumultuous 1980s, the series comes full circle as one of the People's Militia's earliest cases reemerges to torment its ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published August 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Victory Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victory Square

Mal Warwick
Feb 21, 2013 Mal Warwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful tale of life in Eastern Europe during the fall of Communism

Some years ago I chanced upon one of Olen Steinhauer’s excellent contemporary spy stories, sped through it and read another, and finally, in searching for more of his work, found his five-novel cycle set in a fictional Central European country nestled among Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Austria. (Geographically, the country has to be Slovakia, which only recently gained its independence, but some readers think it more closely r
J
Jul 27, 2015 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE: One man's bookflap summary is another man's spoiler.

Victory Square's "public" story arc involves the overthrow of an Eastern European dictator. That arc, the author explains in an afterword, is loosely based on on the fall of Romanian leader Nicolae Ceausescu in 1989.

But several arcs of private individuals are the main focus of the story.

The most obvious arc belongs to first-person narrator Emil Brod, a longtime security investigator who's a couple days away from mundane retirement.

In th
Kevin
Aug 22, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steinhauer wraps up his People's Militia Series with this engrossing tale of revenge in the midst of the revolutionary events of 1989.

It is not the sleek razor edged thriller Liberation Movements, but is a fascinating conclusion to this under-appreciated series.
Gary Letham
Oct 29, 2015 Gary Letham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book of the Yalta Boulevard sequence, takes us right back to our very first protagonist Emil Brod, now milita chief and on the cusp of retiral. Steinhauer uses the Romanian revolution of 1989 as the model for the revolution in his fictional state. It was the first book if the series where I felt party to the events, having been within my own memory. Brod has to deal with his life, country and health fall apart simultaneously, and is forced re-assess all he held as true. The journey take ...more
Billpilgrim
Dec 11, 2014 Billpilgrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fifth and final book in the series, set in Eastern Europe in the years after World War II through the end of the communist regimes in 1989. Each book is set in a subsequent decade. The action this time is in 1989. Some of the Soviet satellite countries have already overthrown their governments, and the fictional country where these books are set is about to do so.
The main story-line goes back to the first book of the series. The central charachter is Emil Brod, who was just joining the Militia
Scottnshana
Dec 29, 2013 Scottnshana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loosely based on the revolution against and subsequent execution of the Ceaucescus in Romania, this is the final installment of Steinhauer's thriller series that takes place in his unnamed Eastern Bloc nation. I like his fallible characters--old guys with old guy problems who are having a hard time letting go of the old system while trying to find some justice in it. I also think that the time the author spent in the region on a Fulbright scholarship is clear here as he mentions details that one ...more
SlowRain
During the fall of communism in Eastern Europe, a Militia chief is investigating a seemingly simple heart attack of a State Security officer. But events take a turn when it's discovered the dead man was reviewing the chief's very first investigation at the start of his career 40 years ago.

This is book five in Steinhauer's Yalta Boulevard Sequence, and, like the others, it takes place in his fictional, Eastern European country which he describes as "the intersection of Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine,
Darwin8u
Aug 06, 2012 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
In Steinhauer's 'almost brilliant' conclusion to his Yalta Boulevard Sequence(Bridge of Sighs, The Confession, 36 Yalta Boulevard, Liberation Movements, & Victory Square), Steinhauer examines the collapse of the moral and social order (both for a nation and individuals) when a former Eastern Block nation finally rejects its totalitarian regime and leader. 'Victory Square' is stronger and more graceful in its first half, but still manages to close out the series well.

Taken together, the five
Carl
May 30, 2012 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly satisfying, strangely disappointing....
After getting to know the various members of the Homicide dept. of the Militia of the unnamed Eastern European Soviet Bloc country after WWII, it was satisfying to see how they all ended up after the Iron Curtain fell. This was especially true of Emil Brod, the almost retired main protagonist of this concluding 5th book of the series as well as the newbie in the first book set in the late 1940’s.
OTOH, the first three books had the tension of police pr
Speesh
Oct 27, 2013 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cold-war
What had confused me more than once while reading this and others in the series, is whether the three of them are set in a fictional East European country, or I’ve just missed - or been too stupid to put two and two together, it’s possible - which Eastern European country he’s actually set them in. I began piecing clues together like this - The country is, west of Ukraine. It was overrun by the Germans at the start of WWII. "Early on in the occupation, the Germans had enlisted the help of malcon ...more
David
Oct 30, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s taken me a couple of days of mourning before I could review the last of Olen Steinhauer’s Yalta books, Victory Square. I have enjoyed all five books very much, but all good things must come to an end, and that makes me a bit sad.

Endings are a theme in Victory Square; careers end, lives end, governments end. In several ways, Victory Squarebrings the story started in Bridge of Sighs full circle. Emil Brod, the hero of Bridge of Sighs, returns as the hero of Victory Square. In the first book,
Biddy
Dec 15, 2014 Biddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy-thriller
I should have started with the first book in this series! Why? I have to admit that I struggled a bit with all the different polical groups in this spy novel set in an imaginary Eastern European country. However....this does not mean that I didn't enjoy it - a lot! Great tension plus a twisting and turning plot kept me thoroughly engaged. Now for books 1 and 2!
Margaret
Oct 26, 2015 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this on holiday when I had nothing else at all available . I wouldn't otherwise have done so. It's a Cold War novel, set in a fictional Eastern European country on the brink of collapse in 1989. It was a fine novel, I'm sure, detailing lives that were nasty, brutish and always at risk. But it wasn't for me. I wouldn't have chosen it.
Eric
Apr 14, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of history and mystery
The amount of flashback made this one a bit curious for listening, but it was still a good listen. Steinhauer keeps the characters moving forward in the story, and has a keen ability to place you in the scene. The story seems to show that revenge is curious motivator, and may have almost no limit as an emotion.
Sheri
Jul 31, 2011 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 5th & final installment in Steinhauer's series about spies & secret policy in Romania. The series started in the late 1940's after WWII, and each book picks up about 8-10 years after the prior one. In this final novel, Steinhauer tells about the collapse of communism in Romania in 1989 after perestroika and glasnost have already led to the demise of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the USSR into separate nations. This is the best of the 5 novels, and some of Steinhauer's best c ...more
Tim Nokken
A fairly good read, but a hard book to categorize. Sort of a spy novel, sort of a crime novel, sort of a recent history novel on the fall f the iron curtain. As such, I found myself trying to keep time/people/locations and events straight, as they all varied. It also bothered Me that it was set in a fictional country. I kind of see why the author did that, but didn't find it necessary. Despite these shortcomings, I did enjoy it.
Audrey
Jan 27, 2015 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that Steinhauer ties together all the loose ends and threads that had been floating through the quintet. I had to find Bridge of Sighs to recall how Emil Broad met all the other main characters that I'd followed over 5 books and several decades. A satisfying conclusion
Margaret
Jan 30, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emil Brod has his past flashing before his eyes as a revolution rages in his fictitious eastern bloc country. This novel is full of intrigue and communist politics - well played out over the resolution of a string of murders.
Mintzis
Nov 27, 2015 Mintzis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the last of an iron curtain series so there was a lot of background that I didn't know. This book didn't do a good job of filling me in. There seemed to be a lot of disconnected incidents. And the characters never grabbed my attention or sympathy.
John
May 27, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps my least favorite of Steinhauer's books. Not to say it isn't good - it is very well done - but some of the intrigue seems a little far-fetched this time. I would still suggest it if you have read his other works.
Rachel
Aug 11, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Am sad series is over but thought did a good job wrapping it up letting you know where other characters from prior books ended up.
Bryan
Dec 14, 2014 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
Great ending to a great series!
Linda
May 24, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
The main historical event that ends this story is the murder of the Ceausescus during the Romanian revolution/uprising. A very complicated story with militias, covert operations, security police at times I was lost. But on balance this is a very intense murder investigation by Comrade Chief Brod. He is extremely sympathetic. By the end of the story, I felt I'd had a very good lesson in the workings of a communist bureaucracy.
Candace
Sep 06, 2015 Candace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steinhauer's books always give your an interesting look at the politics and chaos of countries coming out of the shadow of the Soviet Union, through the life of Inspector Emil Brod, from a fictitious Eastern European country. His first book in the series, Bridge of Sighs, pulled me into the drama of the lives impacted by the politics. And this book finishes what was started then. So glad I picked this up at the library.
Anthony
Jul 19, 2016 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Great conclusion to the series! I thought parts of the trial dragged on a bit, but the ending more than made up for it. I am part Romanian and remember my mom closely following the developments of the revolution as it all unfolded on CNN, so for that reason I found this novel particularly poignant.
Chris Denison
Jul 01, 2013 Chris Denison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really, really good....my favorite of his novels in the series...the writing and characters were profound....I understand them and their challenges more than any other time....the last one of the series captivated all that was there before....it led to this and they left whole to the reader
Jul 21, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I should have figured out the order of books in this series before I started (this is the last one). I have trouble following complicated "spy" type plots like this one, but the way the writer describes life in a country like Romania is chilling and feels, at least, very true.
Carrie
Jan 06, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion of Olen Steinhauer's series - the joint show the most in this book, perhaps too hastily written to put a cap on things, but a fitting end nonetheless. A great series of books.
Jeanne
Dec 01, 2007 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of a detective series set in a fictional Eastern European country. Now I want to read the earlier books. Very good writer. Much insight into the region and the politics.
James
Sep 21, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best, and sadly last in the series. Victory Square made me want to go back and reread the earlier books again. Well done, and I'm glad he's got more books out there.
  • The Spanish Game (Alec Milius #2)
  • A Spy's Life
  • Masaryk Station (John Russell, #6)
  • Lie In The Dark
  • If The Dead Rise Not (Bernard Gunther, #6)
  • Free Agent
  • Conquest (The Conquest Trilogy #3)
  • Dark Times in the City
  • The Terrorist (Louis Morgon #3)
  • The Blond Baboon
  • Gypsy in Amber
  • The Lord of Death (Inspector Shan, #6)
  • The Network
Olen Steinhauer grew up in Virginia, and has since lived in Georgia, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, Texas, California, Massachusetts, and New York. Outside the US, he's lived in Croatia (when it was called Yugoslavia), the Czech Republic and Italy. He also spent a year in Romania on a Fulbright grant, an experience that helped inspire his first five books. He now lives in Hungary with his wife and dau ...more
More about Olen Steinhauer...

The Yalta Boulevard Sequence (5 books)
  • The Bridge of Sighs (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #1)
  • The Confession (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #2)
  • 36 Yalta Boulevard (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #3)
  • Liberation Movements (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #4)

“Russian?" I asked dumbly. I do that sometimes.” 1 likes
“Metaphors help you boil down the complications and ambiguities of your too-long life into a picture book. They help you lie to yourself” 0 likes