Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Clean House” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Clean House

The Berenstain Bears Clean House (Berenstain Bears I Can Read)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It's time for spring cleaning and the Bear family decides to have a yard sale. Mama Bear goes through the house gathering up all sorts of tattered things—but each tattered thing seems to be someone's favourite tattered thing! Perhaps spring cleaning will just have to wait until next year.
Published December 28th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Clean House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Clean House

Kirsti
Aug 02, 2009 Kirsti rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Martha Stewart, people who prefer to read words that have only one syllable
Recommended to Kirsti by: Magdalena
Shelves: children-s, fiction
Cortney
What a STUPID book! I was angry when I finished reading it to my son.

The Berenstain Bears decide to clean the house. But in each room, they find clutter. They can tell that the clutter is useless- torn, ripped, cracked, broken. So they decide to have a yard sale. But once they get outside to have their yard sale, they look at all their "cherished" items (crap they haven't taken care of in a long time, crap they no longer want). They're sad to see it go, so they haul it up to the attic. The stupi
Amanda
Since we were cleaning today, I thought this was appropriate. It's about spring cleaning, so a little different than just a weekly duty thing. And in the end, they don't end up getting rid of anything. How am I to stop my son from picking up my "save everything" gene without any help?
Karen
I liked where this was going - everyone agreed there was too much stuff in the house and they were choosing things that belonged to each person to sell. I thought, "YAY! This will help me convince CC to get rid of some of her stuff!"

Then they decided to just throw everything in the attic instead. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★The Berenstain Bears Clean House by Stan Berenstain
This book starts off good. We have the Bear family doing their spring cleaning. Every where they look, there is a lot of junk. They decide, it would be a good idea to have a garage sale. So, they take everything outside, to prep, but everyone has sentimental attachment, and they put it all in the attic.
What? Serious! I don't know why this story took such a stupid turn. It started off good, wanting to get rid of stuff they didn't need. Although
Fredrick Danysh
A story about cleaning house and having to decide what to dispose of featuring the Bernstein Bears. This is a first grade reading level book with illustrations.
Chinyleu Nwokolo
Easy read with simple sentences that are familiar. Kids would be eager to read this book to parents. This book has soft colors and pictures that make it fun to read. It starts off with teaching kids about family time, helping out to clean your home and taking pride in your work. The end completely throws me off. Why after all that work, you still keep the things you wanted to get rid of in the first place.

Berenstain, J & Berenstain, S (2005) The Berenstain Bears Clean House.
New York, NY; Har
Becca
Cleaning their house brings about a lot of trouble for the Berenstain Bears. They want to get rid of stuff they have had forever at a yard sale, but cannot bring themselves to do it. This book could bring up many instances of giving things away to people who need them more, saving things of sentiment, and even just cleaning in particular. Would recommend to 2-3 grade; should be able to read on their own and indulge in the pictures of each family member. Although there is a takeback in the end, w ...more
Kristen
This was the very first book that I ever read on my own! :)
Dellisantec
I was happy to see that the Berenstain Bears books were made into Easy Readers. When I was growing up, I remember there were only the square, flat, versions of these books that had too many words that I couldn't read to myself for some time. I was happy to see that these stories are made more accessible to kids. The illustrations were nice and the story was fun to read as the family sets out to clean their house and have a yard sale and in the end, find themselves too attached to all their thing ...more
Rosa Cline
It's a Level 1 reading book, so simple phrases for the beginner readers.

Its Spring in Bear Country and the Bear Family decide to clean house they start with the basement and find some of Papa Bears things and decide to have a yard sale, then they move to the living room area and find some of Mama's things, then move to the cubs' room and find more stuff. They try and have the yard sale but decide that all their things are still precious to them so they take it all back in and put it in the attic
Sarah Stephens
I love the Berenstain bears books, but this one had a cute beginning but not so good ending. It's a good story as far as beginner level reading is concerned. But, the it condones hoarding objects in your attic. That might sound silly of me to say but I'm a HUGE donater to Goodwill and Salvation Army so shoving stuff back in the attic is NEVER something I want to teach our child. Cute book with great pictures but moral is lower than expected. Two stars for me.
Jan
It is time for spring cleaning in the Bear tree house, and Mama Bear plans a yard sale. But the Bears soon discover that those old, worn things are each beloved by someone, so they pack them away for another day.

In real life, it is not really feasible to perpetually keep everything you own, but the tale is amusing for beginning readers, and the Bears' solution to the problem would work for a while. Early readers, ages 5-7.
Modboy
A simple story meant for beginning readers shows the Bear family trying to clean the house. It turns out that they're too attached to their junk to get rid of it. Although the premise is realistic I don't think the morale of stowing your junk in the attic is going to anybody any favors. Would have been idealistic if they would have donated their old things instead.
Elizabeth S
I wish it were this easy to really clean house! And I wish this book really taught the value of throwing stuff away, rather than (spoiler for the end of the book, but really, it is a kids book, so how big of a spoiler can it be?) (view spoiler)
Courtney
The Berenstain Bears are hoarders? This had such a cute beginning, but in the end the bears haul in their broken/old/unwanted (!) items back inside from spring cleaning instead of having their planned yard sale. They stuff the items out of sight into the attic to be dealt with another day. What just happened here?!
PWRL
Jan 17, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Patricia
NO NO NO NO NO!!! This book is TERRIBLE, unless you are a hoarder and you need a bedtime story to read to your breed of little hoarders. This book is 10,000 kinds of not okay.

You may read other reviews to get the summary because frankly, I don't even want to think about it anymore.
Lisa
Kayla
It's a Reader, and sadly not a super entertaining one. Kind of a letdown for Berenstain Bears, but it is what it is. Not terrible.
Amy
Miri
An I can Read Book featuring the Berenstain bears cleaning their house.
Rebecca
This book teaches that we should all be hoarders. Not good!
Megan
Alexandra La Vigne marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • The Berenstain Bears' Sleepover
  • Going to the Firehouse
  • Old, New, Red, Blue! (Step into Reading) (Cars movie tie in)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)
  • Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes
  • Biscuit Wins a Prize
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Driving Buddies (Step into Reading) (Cars movie tie in)
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • Curious George and the Dinosaur
  • Go Away, Dog
More about Stan Berenstain...

Berenstain Bears I Can Read (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears Down on the Farm
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Wishing Star
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Pup (I Can Read Book Level 1)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Seashore Treasure
  • The Berenstain Bears Out West
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Kitten
  • The Berenstain Bears' Sleepover
  • The Berenstain Bears' Family Reunion
  • The Berenstain Bears' Class Trip
  • The Berenstain Bears: All Aboard!
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV