Start by marking “The Big Wander” as Want to Read:
The Big Wander

The Big Wander

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Fourteen-year-old Clay and his older brother Mike are off on a trip they'llnever forget. The excitement of traveling across the Southwest in Mike's old pick-up truck is made even better by Clay's dream of finding his favorite uncle, an ex-rodeo star who was last heard from somewhere in the vast and colorful land called Monumnet Valley.

But Mike soon gives up and heads for h

Published October 31st 1992 by Atheneum Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Wander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Wander

Jason
The book The Big Wander is about a kid named Clay with his brother Mike looking for their uncle Clay who Clay was named after. He was a professional boxer and Clay wanted to see him again. Claymeets many problems like Mike's emotional problems,girl problems, and actually finding uncle Clay.

I can connect to the World how so many people have ran off to do something they wanted to do, like College. They go off to study and everything and that is like uncle Clay. Uncle Clay ran off to the West to se
Kelsey Petersen
I thought this book started off a little slow, but it picked up in the middle and I ended up really liking it. I really liked the protagonist, and it almost gave me that same feel as Hatchet. It's one of those books I can imagine reading to my kids at bed time.

This book also had a lot of fun facts. I learned a lot about Indian customs and the way they lived. Plus this was set in the 60's so there were some fun little time period things in there as well. All around it was a fun read, and a fun co
Dorothy
I love the mountains and the country, which you can plainly see on the cover. I knew this book would have a lot to do with the western theme and I am a sucker for cowboys. Super attractive. However, we aren't here to talk about cowboys. Based on the title I thought it would be about an adventure. I mean "The Big Wander" just screams cowboy adventure to me.
Overall the book was good, but it wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I was a little disappointed. It's a very good book to read when you wa
Jordan Ethridge
This book takes you on an adventure with a young man named Clay. Clay is a City boy from Seattle, but him and his brother decide to go to the southwest to look for their uncle that they haven't talked to in some time. I liked how you could see a lot of growth in Clay over the span of the book. The ending of the book isn't as built up as a lot of other books and the book was over pretty quick. I think it was more realistic though than a lot of other adventure books.
I would recommend this book to
Sara
I love these young adult books because the information is around my neck of the woods. I believe Hobbs does a great job in getting factual information too.
Dayna Smith
In the summer of 1962 two brothers head from Seattle to Arizona to search for their missing uncle. When his older brother decides to return home, he misses his girlfriend, 14-year-old Clay finds a job at a trading post to stay and continue the search. He travels into Utah with a mule and a puppy, meets some friendly Navajos, a nice Mormon family, and ultimately his uncle. This is a great story about friendship, growing up, and doing the right thing no matter what. A highly recommended read, espe ...more
Maya
this was recommended to me by a 13 year old girl and her mother, as i had just recently moved to arizona. i think their recommendation and enthusiasm added to my appreciation of this story. and the fact that i also love the southwest. i do wonder if my perspective would have been different had i read this many years ago when i was the age of its intended audience. for now, though, i appreciate the wide-eyed adventure story of a 14 year old boy saving the world on horseback.
Sam
I enjoyed listening to this book with my 12 yo son each week on our way to and from bagpipe practice. He thought it was a great story which took place in early 60's and in parts of Arizona and Utah.
James Denison
A seminal book of my childhood/young adulthood. Would recommend highly to any preteen boys in search of an excellent adventure in the outdoors.
Stephanie Riggs
I've read better. Its probably a good adolescent boy book.
Bret QuickBear
Absolutly one of the best books i have ever read
Sarah Sammis
Loved it from start to finish.
Cws
JAR5-Hob
Sarah Sacco
Sarah Sacco marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Redlemon
Redlemon marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Apr 30, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Steven Irving
Steven Irving marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Maretta
Maretta marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Nov 27, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Raye
Raye marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
WILL HOBBS is the author of seventeen novels for upper elementary, middle school and young adult readers, as well as two picture book stories. Seven of his novels, Bearstone, Downriver, The Big Wander, Beardance, Far North, The Maze, and Jason's Gold, were named Best Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association. ALA also named Far North and Downriver to their list of the 100 Best You ...more
More about Will Hobbs...