Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and Mama's New Job ” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and Mama's New Job

The Berenstain Bears and Mama's New Job (The Berenstain Bears)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,439 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When Mama turns her quilt-making hobby into a business, the Bear family worries that she won't have time for them. But as everyone pitches in to help her, they realize that things aren't so different after all—and they're prouder of Mama than ever!
Published October 12th 1984 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and Mama's New Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and Mama's New Job

Emily Garrison
Oct 26, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1984 by Random House Publishers and is a book in the First Time Book series. The story starts out showing the different talents and hobbies each member of the Bear family has. Papa works as a businessman, selling furniture he makes and Mama takes care of the family, manages the treehouse, tends the garden and keeps the family in line, watching and helping the children play. Mama loves to make quilts but doesn't seem to have enough time to make any. One day, Mama gets ...more
Sri
Dec 22, 2015 Sri rated it really liked it
** spoiler alert **
Keluarga Bear memiliki hobi masing-masing. Papa mancing sambil tidur siang. Brother suka model pesawat. Sister suka loncat tali. Mama suka membuat quilt. Tapi dari semua, Mama lah yang paling sibuk. Mama membantu Brother. Mama menghitung loncatan Sister. Mama juga mencarikan cacing sembari mengurusi kebun.
Ketika Papa sedang menjual mebel di halaman rumah mereka, kebetulan Mama sedang mengangin-anginkan karya quilt nya. Banyak orang yang tertarik.
Mama menjadi gelisah. Dia ingi
Joy
May 05, 2015 Joy rated it it was ok

I got this from the library to read to my children at bedtime (because they really like Berenstain Bears right now and we've read my entire collection). This book is about Mama Bear deciding to open her own quilt shop which causes changes in the family because she's no longer a stay at home mom.

It's not a horrible book for showing how things change when both parents work. My criticism is that Mama Bear just decided to go to work on her own and didn't discuss it with Papa Bear at all. It is huge
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 6th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. I love the tag-lines at the beginning of these books (This book's tag-line is 'When Mama gets home too late for a meal, how will the cubs and Papa bear feel?'). I think this book is a flashback to a simpler sort of life where the father worked and the mother stayed home and raised the children. I love the way that these books display traditional family values. I also like the way this book in particular takes the time to show that it is ...more
Shelli
May 23, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Even though Mama Bear loves being a mama she doesn't often have time to do something just for herself. Her nightly quilting time is her only hobby she can seem to squeeze in. One sunny day she put her quilts out to air and they drew attention from many bears who wanted to purchase them. This launched Mama's new career. What I loved most about this book was the way the family came together to support her even though it meant pitching in with tasks bit more themselves.
PenNPaper52
Jun 30, 2011 PenNPaper52 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read the Berenstain Bears in a book. I used to watch the cartoon version when I was small. It was fun going back to my childhood. It was nyc to read how all the Berenstains joined together to help and encourage Mama in her business venture. Wish there were more families in real life that offered such support in real life.
Hillary Troutman
Apr 01, 2012 Hillary Troutman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek-3-books
I really like the Berenstain Bear book series. A lot of my students like the beginning excerpt which tells the moral or lesson of the story in a cute rhyme. It gives them a heads up as what they should be watching out for in the book and it helps them understand the lesson learned at the end. These books are great for elementary children.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
A simplistic take on a complex subject: moms getting jobs and all that entails. I especially snorted with derision at the line:
"There's nothing to worry about," said Mama. "Things aren't going to be all that different."

Typical Berenstain Bears illustrations.
Jessie Horcher
Read this while babysitting a 5 year old. She loved looking at the pictures of the quilts. I liked how it showed that women could have jobs and provide for their family, when the family helps out with the household. Could use this to talk about gender roles (multicultural).
angrykitty
Dec 15, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
my mom always worked, so i didn't get what the big deal was in this one. i mean....so mama gets a job...boo hoo......she was doing something that made her happy.....
Shannon
May 13, 2012 Shannon rated it did not like it
"Shannon 1988." Papa Bear feels trolled because Mama Bear got an awesome job at the Country Quilt store. Step it up, Papa.
Adrienne
Sep 05, 2016 Adrienne rated it really liked it
I always love looking at the quilts in this book--if I had any skills whatsoever, I'd love to make one of Mama Bear's quilts for myself!
Apr 29, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Loved this one though it didn't pan out in my family's case. We didn't get to go out to dinner when my mom went back to work. Darn!
Kathy Ellen Davis
Aug 12, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this book!
I adored it as a kid and like it even more as an adult.
Mama Bear gets a job,
and the family has to adjust.

Diana Habashneh
Apr 21, 2011 Diana Habashneh rated it really liked it
love love those guys, i knew about them first from the tv show but the books are great for children too
Tamara
Oct 28, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
I have always had warm and fuzzy feelings about quilting, though I have never done it. Maybe when I get old.
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Heather Jo
Jul 12, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Rebekah
Jun 02, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
In this book the Bear Family learns to cope with two working parents. Another great read for little kids.
Sally
Aw, this was one of my favourite Berenstain Bears stories. I loved Mama's shop!
Dixie Diamond
Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Odessa
Odessa rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Angel Ratliff
Angel Ratliff rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Sabrina Di Marco
Sabrina Di Marco rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2012
  • Clifford's Kitten
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • Merry Christmas, Little Critter!
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • Richard Scarry's Find Your ABC'S (Pictureback®)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
  • I Can Do It Myself:  Featuring Jim Henson's Sesame Street Muppets
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark