Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle

The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle (The Berenstain Bears)

In this timely First Time Book, the Berenstains once again prove they have their paws on the pulse of America! Mama and Papa Bear are stunned when they receive a letter from Brother Bear's teacher. Even though Brother Bear sits down diligently every night with an open notebook, he has not been completing his homework assignments. After taking a closer look, Mama and Papa r ...more
Published July 14th 1997 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle

Kathryn
May 27, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: for-my-boys
This book has had a positive impact on my oldest, who is almost finished with kindergarten and his first year of homework. He is outstanding at wanting to finish his homework, so much so that I have to force him to take breaks and go play, otherwise he would do a week's worth of homework in one night. This story has just reinforced what comes naturally. Mostly, my boys love the colorful and lively pictures of the Berenstain Bears books.

In all honesty, when I see these books, I kind of hope my bo
Anna
Mar 01, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
This book has a good saying : If you're a bear for TV, Loud Music, and Fun how ya gonna get your homework done. : This is a good saying to memorize.
Shanu
Nov 07, 2015 Shanu rated it did not like it
i hate these type of children books with a tacky moral and weirdly caricatured characters.

i read this because "trouble with homework" was mentioned "why does he do that". This one is titled "homework hassle" which indicates i picked the wrong book. can't find the one i'm looking for though. I'm just going to give up looking and not torture myself with any other berenstain bears story.
Jason Brinley
Nov 09, 2015 Jason Brinley rated it really liked it
Sri
Maknya baca, anaknya ngawasin. Ceritanya tentang brother Bear yang menunda-nunda mengerjakan PR dengan alasan PR-nya kebanyakan. Padahal PR terasa kebanyakan karena tidak segera dikerjakan. Malah asik dia nonton TV, nyetel boombox, nelpunin teman, main basket, main entah apa lagi. Sister Bear ikutan ngomelin. Papa dan Mama melarang Sister Bear ikutan ngomel, kerjain PR-nya sendiri. Ternyata PR nya udah beres hahaha.

Brother Bear akhirnya mau ngerjain PR nya setelah tahu sejarah 'kelam' ayahnya ya
Amara
Oh, dear. Oh, dear. I really don't like the Berenstain Bears. Most of the time, the morals are screwy at best and downright infuriating at worst--not to say that there aren't a few gems, of course.

This wasn't one of them. Quote:

"[You found that i]n my backback?" said Brother. "I thought my backpack was private."

"When something starts to smell like garbage," said Mama, "it isn't private anymore."

Well, that's good to know! If Brother Bear doesn't throw away his lunch refuse before Mama Bear notice
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no
The Berenstain Bears and the Homework Hassle by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Brother Bear appears to do his homework every night, but he's not. He's watching tv, talking on a cell phone, and listening to a boombox. Mama and Papa Bear don't realize anything is wrong, until his bookbag starts to stink. Not only does Mama find his rotting lunch, she also finds a note from the teacher. Mama learns, he's not doing his homework and falling behind in class. He gets his electronics taken away, and gets mad. H
Edward Creter
Apr 11, 2014 Edward Creter rated it liked it
Brother Bear thinks he's doing too much homework--when actually he's doing too much tv. Papa understands--he's facing too much taxes! Both will learn a lot from each other!
Heather Jo
Aug 24, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Whitney Kelley
Jun 15, 2014 Whitney Kelley rated it liked it
Cute little book about responsibility & keeping up with assignments/chores. Appreciate that it is accessible for younger grades.
Madison
Jun 25, 2016 Madison rated it liked it
Slightly dated and a bit wordy for my three year old. He still enjoyed reading it once.
Dolly
Jul 14, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a good book to emphasize the importance of focusing on homework (and not the tv, radio, telephone, food, etc). It also shows the wisdom of Grandparents and that parents have likely done many of the same things their children do. Our girls really enjoy the Berenstain Bears books and this one is entertaining, but still provides a moral lesson.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 31, 2013 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
Oaky, so thrice I used this book to drive the point home to my daughters and son to d their homework. My girls were about 7 when I used this book and my son was . It worked with one daughter. Still, it is a funny book. All of the B-Bear books are great teaching tools.
Heather
Mar 31, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart. This one is also different because this one was given to my youngest sister, and I instead read it to her.
Shannon
Dec 09, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I imagine this is what homework battles look like in most households, but probably without the outdated enormous cell phones. :) http://img.ly/qxW3 Love that Papa Bear is delinquent on his taxes, lol.
Kristy
Aug 11, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
Another great book for kids. I thought it was well written and cute (duh), and of course also clearly showing the importance of focusing on homework instead of just fun and games.
Alana Arlequin
This book is good to discuss the topics of doing homework and being resposible. This book will also be good for lessons on making text connections, predictions, and theme.
John
Mar 07, 2007 John rated it it was ok
i remember this being one of my first books...but geez, how do kids that are being read to relate with homework? how in the world was this book even greenlighted?
imana cetshwayo
Oct 13, 2015 imana cetshwayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book

my mom and I loved it. it will be good for you too! and your children and im sure you and your family will love it
Shelli
May 23, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book to read with your children about not procrastinating on homework. It's not going to go away and having it pile up just becomes more frustrating.
Laura Carby
This is a great book to remind students that homework is a time for practice. It's a time for me to see the practice they are completing at home!
Carter and Harrison
Jan 22, 2013 Carter and Harrison rated it it was ok
This was so random...

I get the idea of staying on top of things, but the BRS part was just sort of silly...

Random.
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
good idea but the kids who have this problem wont want to read the bears.
Boston
Apr 24, 2009 Boston rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think people should do their homework.
Heather
Jul 20, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: own
49 months - O always enjoys any of the BB books.
Michael J
Michael J is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • My Goodnight Book
  • The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
  • The Biggest Valentine Ever
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • God Found Us You
  • Disney's Aladdin (Disney Classic Series)
  • A Promise Is A Promise
  • Hot Dog
  • Little Miss Stubborn
  • I Wished for You: An Adoption Story
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report
  • Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark