Start by marking “Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs” as Want to Read:
Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs

Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs (World of Nature)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Ruth Heller's prose and pictures are the perfect means for discovering the variety of oviparous animals and their unique ways of laying eggs.
Published May 24th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chickens Aren't the Only Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickens Aren't the Only Ones

The Reptile Room by Lemony SnicketHoles by Louis SacharThe Tortoise and the Hare by Janet StevensCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersTurtle Wish by Murielle Cyr
Calling All Reptiles!
45th out of 126 books — 40 voters
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanInside the Earth by Joanna ColeMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeOwen by Kevin Henkes
Reading Rainbow Featured Books
34th out of 121 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

My four year old class enjoyed this book. We did a science experiment with it-floating a hard boiled egg in salt water.
Gerardo Mendoza-Tovar
Heller begins by describing how chickens lay eggs and how, if these eggs are not eaten, they will hatch chicks that grow into hens. She goes on to describe the variety of other animals that lay eggs as well. This book features many fascinating comparisons that engage the reader. This included a comparison of egg size and shape. The intended grade levels for the book is 3rd and 4th. I think the book is suitable for these grades, but the vocabulary might be a little difficult. Heller uses challeng ...more
We're discovering Ruth Heller this summer and really enjoying her works. This book in the World of Nature Series is about who lays eggs in the world of nature. The text is fun to read (the rhymes are so clever), the images are so vivid, it's no wonder I don't need to call twice to read her books.
a. Not only do chickens lay eggs but so do a lot of other animals. Chickens Aren’t the Only Ones talks about all the different animals that lay eggs and the different ways the animals lay them. There are beautiful detailed illustrations to go along with the story as well. The book seems to come alive right before your eyes.
b. The theme is eggs. People can learn all the different animals that lay eggs, in a way that children and adults can learn from.
c. Have student’s research egg sizes of dif
Kiera Burnett
Summary and Critique:
Heller begins by describing how chickens lay eggs and how, if these eggs are not eaten, they will hatch chicks that grow into hens. She goes on to describe the variety of other animals that lay eggs as well. This book features many fascinating comparisons that engage the reader. This included a comparison of egg size and shape. Heller uses challenging vocabulary throughout such as mammalian and oviparous. The appeal of this story could be strengthened by adding smaller illus
Stumbled across this one and love it. Who knew there could be such exquisitely simple, poetic writing (and gorgeous illustrations!) about egg-laying animals?
This is a non- fiction title for toddlers and up. After naming a few things people do with chicken eggs the reader learns chickens aren't the only ones as other birds are shown. Learn which bird lays the largest egg and which the smallest. Chickens aren't the only ones as we view various retiles, amphibians, fish and other ocean animals, insects and even a couple mammals who all lay eggs. At the end we learn everyone who lays an egg is o-vip-a-rous. The rhyming text moves along nicely.

Yes, this
Not to scale.
Amy Scott
I bought this book for a project I was working on about the zoo. This book talks about all the different kinds of animals that lay eggs in addition to chickens. It's a great resource for younger students who may not realize there are so many animals that hatch from eggs.
Beautiful (I should say it again, BEAUTIFUL) illustrations and simple text about lots of different kinds of eggs. This series is imprinted on my brain, as I grew up with a set of the books. I was excited every time Heller released another title.
We really liked this one. My kids found it fascinating that so many types of life lay eggs. I was also intrigued by the variety. It is fun that it rhymes, which sometimes helps the kids to figure out what is coming next. It has great illustrations that are not overly complicated; kids can still focus in on the animals being discussed. The amount of information seems just right to me. It isn't so much that it is overwhelming, yet it is definitely more than a list. For example, it includes a few l ...more
Wonderful book on eggs and examples of various species of the animal kingdom that lay eggs. Beautiful illustrations. And even the defination of oviparous is given. Well executed.
The kids loved this story (as did I.) The facts and wording were perfect for 3 - 6 year olds.
Jasmine George
This is a great educational book on animals and what animals do or do not lay eggs. It's full of information about animals and how they take care of their eggs. The book is full of strong vocabulary and I like how the author capitalize some of the words in the book.

Learning Experience:
For this book I would have a graph and the children will be handed animals and insects. The children will come up and put whether the animal or insect lays eggs or not. For an extension I would get a chicken egg
Katie Williams
The story circles around animals who lay eggs just like a chicken- amphibians, reptiles, etc. It also talks about mammals who do not lay eggs but live animal babies. It's a good informational book about the reproduction of various animals. Students could brainstorm or research other animals that lay eggs besides the ones mentioned in the book. The class could make a chart of every species of animal they find the lays eggs. A good scientific research activity that could incorporate technology and ...more
The text is good on this, commenting that chickens are not the only egg-laying species around, going through other birds, reptiles, etc. It even covers the two mammals that lay eggs. What really really stands out though is the simplicity of the text combined with the rich detail of the illustrations. This is a truly engaging book for all ages, and easily held the interest of my preschooler for the pictures alone, and my elementary age for the pictures plus the information, which they found inter ...more
Good for kid 4-8.
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
This is my absolute favorite childhood book. I remember having my parents read it to me every single night before bed. It is a really interesting way to get kids into things like science and nature, and I remember the illustrations being really really well done, which probably enhanced my love of it as a child.
Mar 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is such an interesting book, introducing the concept of oviparous creatures including chickens, other birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, arachnids, insects, and even the two mammalian exceptions to the rule.

The rhythmic prose and gorgeously illustrations make this a really fun book to read aloud with children. It teaches a little bit about science in a fun way. Our girls really enjoyed this book.
Lauren Owens
This is another book that talks about different types of animals that hatch from eggs to start their lives. I would use this book when talking about life cycles to show that some mammals hatch from eggs and others are birthed live such as humans. The book also rhymes so it has a rhythm to it to keep the attention of the listeners.
Recommended grade levels: K-2
excellent 'science' book about egg-laying animals of every kind
reminded me of Diana Hutts-Aston books
This is a fun non fiction book for nursery school and primary school children. It informs and illustrates different and sometimes, unexpected creatures that lay eggs. This is a great book to introduce children to unique animals, a farm theme, or the concept of differentiating similarities and differences that exist in all creatures.
I like the topic of this book: oviparous (egg laying) creatures. The pictures are just OK and the rhyming is kind-of annoying but the concept is fabulous. I have always enjoyed natural history and reading this book reminded me where I learned some of the things I know today (like what a shark's egg looks like).
BEAUTIFUL illustrations. Probably one of her best.
James Vickery
This book was enjoyed by a group of first graders that I shared it with. This book can be good to show the different animals that come from eggs. It can be great to use when getting to children to understand the different ways that animals are born and the characteristics of those animals.
Vanessa Peavy
To take a complicated subject and put it in such a simple, yet full of information is a job well done. The illustrations are engaging and rich. the story rhymes allowing for a smooth flow of information. Could use this for sure to teach how chicken are not the only ones who lay eggs.

Chickens Aren't the Only Ones was a non-fiction children's book introducing children to the wide variety of Oviparous animals. With beautiful and realistic illustrations and rhyming text about the Oviparous animals it's a simple and wonderful introduction to new creatures.
A great read aloud for younger children, this amazingly illustrated book provides a clear introduction to our planet’s oviparous animals. From birds to reptiles, amphibians to fish, bugs to egg laying mammals this book can both entertain and educate, younger children.
Khadija Bensaadoun
This book can be used for a second grade lesson about the difference between mammals and oviparous animals. For an activity, the students will be assigned different animals and their task to figure out if their animal is a mammal or an an oviparous animal.

Kate Hastings
Gr K-3. A classic book. There is a Reading Rainbow segment on Discovery Education that is fabulous. Rhyming text describes different types of animals that lay eggs-- fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds... even echinoderms. Perfect for an egg unit.
  • From Seed to Plant
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • Heads
  • Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors
  • Pouch!
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Cactus Hotel
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs
Author and illustration with a passionate interest in Korean culture. She lives with her husband in San Francisco, California.
More about Ruth Heller...

World of Nature (4 books)
  • Animals Born Alive and Well: A Book About Mammals
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Plants That Never Ever Bloom
Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives The Reason for a Flower A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language) Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns Kites Sail High: A Book About Verbs