Start by marking “Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)

Bloody River Blues (John Pellam #2)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  39 reviews
John Pellam, scouting locations for a new film in a small town in Missouri, inadvertently witnesses a double homicide and some serious gunplay that left a cop paralyzed. He didn't see the guy who ordered the killings, but the police don't believe him. The U.S. attorney who thinks he knows who was behind the murders has bet his career on Pellam's identification of a crimina ...more
Published February 21st 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody River Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody River Blues

Jill
I enjoyed this book as much as I can enjoy a crime thriller at this point in my literature life. I don't want to say my tastes have matured so much as they have broadened away from crime. That being said, Deaver is still one of my favorite authors and he write exceptionally well.

I was expecting you're average run-of-the-mill witness to a major crime story, but I should have known better. Deaver never does anything run-of-the-mill, which is why I suppose I still read his crime novels. Pellam is n
Jeannie
I am not sure about the concept of pseudonym here. The book was clearly not similar to the Deaver as Deaver books that I have read, and loved, so perhaps this is Deaver's way of trying something new in a safer way? Overall, I just didn't like the story, and really didn't care for the concept of "location scout mystery" series...didn't see much mystery myself.
Manugw
A WEAK ATTEMPT IN THE PAST OF AN EXCELLENT WRITER

ohn Pellam, while scouting locations in Missouri for a movie, due to a casual incident, is taken as the key witness of a street murder that leaves two people dead and a cop paralyzed, from then on he is wanted by the Feds and the boss of the gang of thugs who committed that crime.
Although I liked the other episodes of the location scout series, I was not pleased with this one, I have experienced a slow cold boring novel with a poor plot and shallo
Jerry
John Pellam is a character from a 3-book series written relatively early in Deaver’s career under the pseudonym William Jefferies. Pellam works for movie companies as a "location scout", traveling the world to find general locales appropriate for filming – or in this case, very specific Missouri scenes to suit the director of a low-budget gangster film. Early in the story, Pellam is walking home from buying beer when he witnesses a murder. The trouble is, he doesn’t see the perpetrator, only the ...more
Ally Atherton
John Pellam is a location scout working on the set of a " Bonnie and Clyde " style movie in Maddocks, Missouri. When a random guy opens his car door and sends his beer crashing to the ground he becomes a wanted man in the connection with a murder and the shooting of a cop.

He becomes Missouri's most wanted man and everybody seems to want to track him down and to make sure that his mouth is kept firmly shut.

First of all I must say from the outset that thrillers are not normally my bag unless it ha
Marianne
Bloody River Blues is the second of Jeffrey Deaver’s Location Scout novels. Still working as a location scout, this time by the Missouri River, John Pellam accidentally witnesses a hitman preparing for a hit about to take place. In the aftermath, the local cops, the FBI and the hitmen are all after Pellaim, either for identification or elimination purposes. Although he didn’t actually see the mob boss the law is after, convincing people you don’t know something when they are certain you do is mu ...more
Bob
John Pellam is a location spotter for a movie company filming in a small down at the heels Missouri town. Going into town for some beer for a poker gathering in his Winnebago, he is walking back when the door of a parked car opens and knocks the bag of beer out of his hands and he confronts the door opener and looks into the car before gathering up his unbroken bottles and getting a bag from the store while a local cop stands by. A short time later there is a in the area in which the policeman i ...more
Aries
I romanzi con protagonista John Pellam rappresentano una situazione particolare nella produzione di Deaver: in Italia stanno venendo pubblicati da relativamente poco, ma sono stati scritti all'inizio della sua carriera.Il risultato è che si tratta di romanzi molto meno strutturati rispetto a quelli più recenti, ma non per questo meno avvincenti: Lincoln Rhyme è ancora lontano, i colpi di scena a volte cervellotici pure, ma c'è una sana voglia di raccontare ed avvincere che non riesce a lasciarmi ...more
Ron
A well written novel... just a comfortable book to lay back and read (and get pissed off at the U.S. Attorney)

Best quote from the movie shoot...
"This next eight minutes is costing me a quarter of a million dollars. Don't fuck up"
Lauren
I'm not a fan of this style. Deaver definitely developed and I like his later style better. This lacked suspense and sometimes I had a hard time following. (I could have been distracted while reading)
Matteo Pellegrini
Abiutuato a leggere i libri di Rhyme, legegndo i libri di Pellam sembra mancare qualcosa.
Capiamoci il libro non è assolutamente mente brutto o scritto male, e ci mancherebbe, ma gli manca quel qualcosa che in altri libri di Deaver non del ciclo di Rhyme (come ad esempio la bambola che dorme e profondo blu) non mancava, sembra mancare un certo mordente che stimoli la lettura, che mi faccia rimanere attaccato alle pagine
Forse il fatto è che trovo il personaggio di Pellam affascinante, ma non coinv
Yara Hatem
Let me start by saying that I truly love every word that Jeffery Deaver wrote. and it's with a great displeasure that am writing this review.

This book was a huge disappoint for me. It was a very " NORMAL/ Mellow " novel.
I felt that the pages were turned just to kill time.I was scrolling through the pages half of the time and I kept waiting for the twist to kick in.. it had to kick in! it's Jeffery Deaver after all!!

Yet somehow am left with no pages, a huge " hmmm " and lots of " !!!! "

It's a ver
Kw
I can see why he used a pseudonym.
Dadang
Not as good as his other works, but still a good read.....
Evelyn Wilson
I am really enjoying his books. This has John Pellam in it. Will look forward to reading more of John's adventures ...
Ayu Ikhwani
And I finally finished it today.. after DAYS! I usually love Jeffery Deaver but somehow this time around, I find myself distracted between pages.. not as gripping as his other books have been. Maybe its just me, perhaps?! Am normally biased when it comes to my favourite authors but..

..maybe I should give it another try, huh?
Patricia
This is the second Jeffery Deaver book with the character John Pellham. I think Deaver is the master of the psychological thriller. He is writing as William Jefferies here. The action is secondary to the suspense in this book, but I don't find the characters very sympathetic. Even Pellham is a tad bit too contained, so far. . .
Mary
Just because I gave it 2 stars doesn't mean it's not a good book. I just think I should save the three stars for books that are more memorable. This is the second of three books by this author with this character. I plan to read the third as well.
Mark
Not really vintage Deaver. Plot twists were a bit predictable and characters didn't seem too well fleshed out. Not sure if I was too tired to complete this, but the resolution also seemed rushed and left too many issues hanging.
Kathryn
"1993 Hollywood location scout John Pellam is working on an upcoming Bonnie and Clyde-style film. But after real bullets leave two people dead and one cop paralyzed, he's more sought after than the Barrow Gang."
Judith Wrinkle
I have always enjoyed Deaver, and perhaps count him as one of my favorites.......but this is one of the worst books I have ever read. I could not waste my time finishing it and quit, half way through.
incipit mania
Incipit

Voleva soltanto una cassa di birra ...
Fiume di sangue incipitmania.com
Tuesday's Child
I am a massive Deaver fan, really I am.This, though, was not my favourite read. I do like Pelham as a character because he isn't perfect. Still, a good story.
Emily
It was okay. Not one of my favorites. The unfortunate thing was that there were so many characters that I had trouble remembering who was who's side...
Gary Barrentine
i found the blatant police harassment very distasteful. I found I couldn't finish it as it was very upsetting.
Amanda Patterson
Not for me. Deaver was still learning how to write thrillers here.The Location Scout series does not work.
Charles
Not Lincoln Rhyme, hard to follow at first. I think Pam (my wife) gave up on it. I was ok with it.
Ayny
message...it's okay for the good guys to kill the bad guys and get away with it.
Lori
It was a chore to finish this book. Certainly not up to par with his other books.
Liz
I like the main character but it bothers me that he can get away with murder.
  • It Happened One Knife (Double Feature Mystery #2)
  • Darkhouse
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Devil's Disciple
  • Crackdown
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • The Keeper (D.I. Sean Corrigan, #2)
  • Lost Stories
  • The Lost Van Gogh
  • Agents of Innocence
  • Hidden Charges
  • Hexenkind
  • Cover Story (Tweed & Co. #3)
  • Little Girl Lost
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro ...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...

John Pellam (3 books)
  • Shallow Graves (John Pellam, #1)
  • Hell's Kitchen (John Pellam, #3)
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)