Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings

The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings (The Berenstain Bears)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  761 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Illustrated in full color. Mama Bear is tired of hearing how many Bearbie dolls Lizzy Bruin has and how many Game Bear video games Cousin Freddy just got. During a thunderstorm, Mama gets her cubs to realize that love and a good home are much more valuable than material possessions.
Published October 24th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings

Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings tells how Brother and Sister Bear come to realize that they have plenty of blessings in life, if only they look for them.

The story opens with Brother and Sister visiting friends, and when they return (just in time, as it begins to rain) they eagerly begin talking about the new toys their friends have. This is, apparently, a regular result of such visits, and Mama is fed up with it. "I've heard quite enough," she says, "about what you don't have." She en
Anne
Apr 18, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: topher-s-books
I love the positive message in this book. My son and I have started counting our blessing before we go to sleep at night. It really makes you think about what you have and be grateful.
Katie Casey
Aug 20, 2014 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
I love this bear family and how beautifully they teach great lessons! This one is a great one on how to be happy and content even if you don't get the latest new fad toy.
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Berenstain Bears have always been a favorite of mine and this book helps me like them even more. This book helps Mama bear make the cubs realize it's not important what other cubs have or that you don't have the same toys. What matters in the end is having a home and a family that loves you.
Dolly
Nov 21, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
We've read many Berenstain Bears books and I love that they are fun and teach good, moral lessons. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish - perfect to engage young children. And the characters are all familiar and have fairly predictable foibles.

This story is a cautionary tale against materialism and tells us that we should be grateful for the blessings we have and not yearn to "keep up with the Joneses." I preach this sermon to our girls constantly and I hope that they are taking it to
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Jessica Heimbaugh
Nov 06, 2015 Jessica Heimbaugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: staff-reads-gpl
Loved how a thunderstorm could make these four bears thankful... Lots to learn from their heart attitudes!
Rachel Thomas
Apr 20, 2010 Rachel Thomas rated it did not like it
title: The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings (picture)
Author: Stan and Jan Berenstain
Publisher: Random House Incorporated
Date of Publication: 1995
Summary: This book was very cute. Brother and sister bear are constantly complaining and saying their friends have more toys than them. A storm hits and their mother tells them to count their blessings. They learn to appreciate what they have. This book taught a good lesson.
Ayana Mishelle
This is a great book for teaching gratitude. I use gratitude list with my grandchildren when they start tattling. I say okay tell me what you are grateful for first it works also when children are whinning.this would be a great way to introduce gratitude to children and to talk to them about not bullying each other instead of saying don't bully teach them to be grateful for each other
Joy
May 10, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Small bears get big eyes
when they take off and roam,
and sometimes forget
all the good stuff at home.

Brother and Sister complain about the things that their friends have that they don't and Mama and Papa tell them to count their blessings during a thunderstorm.
T Crockett
Jun 29, 2015 T Crockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Has a nice mix of insight into how parents think (and kids act), non-moralizing story telling (the whole explanation around thunder and lightning) and then a nice message about appreciating what you already have. 4yr old enjoyed it
Miri
May 24, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
When Brother and Sister come home complaining about all the things their friends have that they don't, Mama and Papa teach them about counting their blessing and being grateful for all the things they do have.
Shelly Koressel
This is a good book to make you think and appreciate the things you have, instead of always getting what you want. Good to reflect and count your blessings. Good for Preschool up to 2nd grade level
Ashlyn Barker
I love the Berenstain Bears series! This book helps children focus on what they DO have, not what they want or don't have. I would recommend this book to friends!
Kimberly
Jul 03, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears books are always wonderful with great underlying lessons of character and morals in a fun way. Great for young readers.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Mar 20, 2015 Sweet's Family Bookshelves rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jasmyn-read-2015
This was a reread for my middle daughter (9). She loves the Berenstain Bears even though she says she is too old for these now. :(
Katelyn Warner
Nov 25, 2010 Katelyn Warner rated it it was ok
* Long text; for more advanced, focused readers
* Independent reading
* They become thankful for what they have after the power goes out
Brittany Lockard
Good story to read around thanksgiving that talks about counting your blessings and being thankful for what you have.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Picture Book 15
I love how this teaches kids to be thankful for all what they have!
Sheila
Sep 18, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A nice Berenstain Bears story about appreciating what you already have.
Twilightsparkle
May 20, 2013 Twilightsparkle rated it it was amazing
i love the Berenstain Bears and I have a cool collection of books.
Christy
Aug 23, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: collin
Collin loves the Berenstain Bears and this was another great one.
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
We love all berenstain bear books!
Amanda
Jun 05, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
A good one about being grateful.
Slayton
Mar 20, 2009 Slayton rated it it was amazing
I made an 80 on the AR Test
Claire
Claire added it
Feb 06, 2016
Serena Pasley
Serena Pasley marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Christina Jue
Christina Jue rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Little Critter: Just a Snowy Day
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Bunny Cakes
  • Me and You
  • The Magic School Bus In The Haunted Museum: A Book About Sound
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • Franklin Goes To The Hospital
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark