Start by marking “The Last Chance Cafe” as Want to Read:
The Last Chance Cafe

The Last Chance Cafe

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,763 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Linda Lael Miller captures the passionate heart of America in this powerful contemporary novel set in a small Western town. Seeking shelter from the storms of life, a woman who is down on her luck finds an unexpected refuge at

THE LAST CHANCE CAFÉ

With acres of land and a house that have been in his family for generations, rancher Chance
Published April 30th 2002 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Chance Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Chance Cafe

Melissa
Dec 11, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, cowboy
I'm a big fan of Linda Lael Miller. She writes great cowboy romances with likable characters and a good storyline.

This particular book sees Hallie fleeing with her two twin daughters after she realizes her ex-husband is a bad man and out to see her dead. She ends up in Primrose Creek and at the Last Chance Cafe where the friendly people there find her a place to stay and even a job while she gets on her feet and decides what to do. She is attracted to handsome rancher Chance but is constantly fe
Cruth
Author: Linda Lael Miller
First published: 2002
Length: 6006 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Primrose Creek.
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent.
Hero: Rancher.
Heroine: Divorced with children. Chef and business owner. On the run from ex.

I kept thinking it was awfully similar to Running Wild by Linda Howard and Linda Jones. And I think I liked Running Wild better…

Some references to finding a diary of “Bridget Qualtrough”. Lists suggest The Last Chance Cafe is a standalone… but Bridget has her story told
Judi
Jul 08, 2013 Judi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I recently saw that this was a Lifetime Movie starring Kevin Sorbo, I was immediately interested in reading the book..I always think the books are much better then the movie.

I loved the book. I can definitely see Kevin Sorbo playing the character Chance..

Hallie flees her home with her twin daughters and breaks down
in the town of Primrose Creek..What amazing characters in this one.

She immediate meets Chance at the Last Chance Café. He gives her a place to stay and his heart along with it!

I l
Sharon
May 08, 2017 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miller-lael
The edition I listened to was an abridged audio book and the story felt like it was cut to pieces
Rhonda Soukup
I read before book before but didn't remember when I picked it out. Story of a single mother who runs away from her ex-husband and a ring of criminals when she finds out the details of how her stepfather was killed. Her travels bring her to the Last Chance Cafe - enter hunky, good-looking cowboy who helps her get settled in the small town and against the criminals.
Crystal Karre
Mar 04, 2017 Crystal Karre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was an excellent page turner!!!
Heather
This book had a few plot holes and it was a little too sappy to believe. The town's people barely knew this woman and yet they give her a job, a house and a car and a built in babysitter. Her twin girls are seven year old geniuses. Hallie is an intelligent successful business owner, but lays low in a small town and doesn't bother to make copies of the evidence and doesn't even attempt to get a hold of anyone in the media or FBI. One kiss and the next day she's in bed with Chance, easy much? On a ...more
Marleen
Feb 05, 2009 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a light, sweet and predictable little story. I gave this book 4,5 stars some years back when I read it for the first time, and now I find it very average, even below average indeed. It's pretty remarkable that the more you read, the more you explore various genres, with time I guess expectations and preferences can change, "literary" choices can change. It’s true that nowadays I prefer more authentic, more original stories. I look for authors with a true original voice, and I always loo ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 12, 2014 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Chance Cafe by Linda Lael Miller
Halli O'Rourke has just left her step dads funeral and gets a package and heads to his house where her ex husband shows up wanting the stocks and bonds and money.
She takes off with his truck and the blizzard stops them in NV with the twin girls. She's got a job being a waitress and a place to watch while Jessie is away.
Chance has a hand in all this....she has to tend to the horses also.
She gets the girls ready for school and has her work and things are go
melissa
It was an enjoyable read, but not anything unexpected or new. I know I have never read this book before, but the whole way through it felt very familiar. Right down to the characters doing what was expected of them. I guess that is what makes romances comfort reads though, right? I did find myself laughing when the twins were around, or when Evie came in the picture. And there were a couple moments when I could predict what was going to happen, so it wasn’t really suspenseful, but it was written ...more
Maudie
Jun 16, 2012 Maudie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend gave me this book last Tuesday to help pass the time while waiting for a mamogram and a sonogram. It was a rather long wait. I read most of Linda Lael Miller's story in a hospital waiting area and the remainder in one of their little "holding" rooms (You know, the kind you spend time in waiting for the doc to get around you).

And the little book did just what it was written to do...introduced me to a cast of characters that I enjoyed spending time with. Thanks Linda Lael Miller for the
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
It was ok. It wasn't what I expected from the author having read her Deadly Deceptions series first and then the Look series. It was all right. I couldn't really get a hook into Hallie- she really didn't make me feel for her. I loved Chance and while I agree watching them get together was fun, it was a bit fast. In fact, the whole book just moved really really fast. Too fast. The end of the book was rushed and I felt no real relief at the outcome.

It reminded me at times of Nora Roberts' "Montana
Jan 04, 2008 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
My library has a bunch of this author's books but I'd never read any. If you're expecting great literature, this isn't for you. However, it is a decently written romance book. Some adventure, character development, a little yearning for a place to belong. . . Woman on the run with proof of wrong-doing lands in Primrose Creek, finding support, love and acceptance. Past catches up, but everything comes out alright in the end.

I'd compare Miller with Catherine Anderson.
Erin
Feb 22, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is a sweet book, but there's a little too much fate/destiny/magic in a novel that is ostensibly a straight-up contemporary to make it feel really believable (Chance and Hallie fall in love because they were meant to... that's the main thing we're given), and the pacing is really wacky. There's some suspense, but a lot of it is artificial tension created by the characters not communicating with each other, and that's a contrivance pet peeve of mine.
PepsiGirl
Apr 27, 2012 PepsiGirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will be honest, it took me a week before I finally started to read this book, but then I was hooked on the first chapter. It of course pulled you in. Hallie is running from a host of bad guys including her ex-husband with her two twin daughters in tow. She stumbles into the Last Chance Cafe where she meets Chance. Then it gets interesting. I really liked the way their relationship evolved. Chance was quite the man.
Janet Meeks
Jan 23, 2013 Janet Meeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Miller's story touched my heart. I haven't read a book of hers yet I didn't love!!!! Please keep writing Ms. Miller. I can't wait to start The Big Sky series. I have waited to get several books bought up before I start, because I don't like to wait on the next book in the series. I can't just stop at one and wait! :)))
Jeanne
Chance Qualtrough, several generations removed from Bridget and Trace Qualtrough, original settlers of Primrose Creek, Nevada. He is sitting in the Last Chance Cafe when coming in out of a snow storm enters Hallie O'Rourke and her two daughters. He comes to their rescue and the rest is history. Good story!
Hal
Feb 07, 2015 Hal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gen-fiction, 15-reads
This book was for the most part an interesting story of new beginnings. Then the author decided to turn the portion of the book that involved a pleasant romance between two hurting people into a story about very explicit clinical sex going into minute deal about how and who was doing what to whom. She lost me at that point. I finished it but ending up downgrading it to three stars.
Jan 14, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
A good, quick read. This is a modern-day western, the story of Hallie and Chance. Hally is a divorcee with 2 children who finds herself in possession of evidence of police corruption. A chase and hiding out ensue. She lands in Primrose Creek, NV at The Last Chance Cafe. Romance happens with a feel-good ending.
Elizabeth
Dec 23, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Miller's writing style is very similar to Billie Letts. From the very first page, this story is entirely predictable - but that's why we read this genre, isn't it? We're not looking for earth-shaking revelations or mind-bending mysteries. In that sense, Last Chance delivers exactly what it promises.
BlebeTanja
It was ok. Nothing special or life-changing or earth-shattering. Just your typical romance novel to keep you entertained for an afternoon.

I liked the idea of The Last Chance Cafe. And I keep on wondering - are people in US of A really that nice to complete strangers? Me wonders.
Marcy
Oct 26, 2016 Marcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Primrose Creek, Nevada, a dispute over property lines between Chance Qualtrough and Jace Stratton is exacerbated by the arrival of Hallie St. George, a young woman fleeing the pain of her past to make a new life for herself.
Sharon
Jun 04, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Nice little story of Hallie & Chance. Hallie's stepfather is killed and Hallie has to run with her twin girls when she learns that her ex-husband is one of the bad guys. They land at Last Chance Café and meet Chance. He helps then find a place to stay and tries to get Hallie to trust him.
Abby
Mar 02, 2015 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It was interesting and had depth to it. Hallie had a doozie of a story she was running from when she landed in Primrose Creek. But she immediately fit in their small town. Some of the story was intense, sweet and heartwarming. Good weekend read!
Brea Ann
Dec 18, 2015 Brea Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
This story will keep you on the edge of your seat and turning pages! Loved It!!! You just can't go wrong with a Linda Lael Miller book. I have been a fan of her books for years and I have never been disappointed.
Kym McNabney
May 23, 2012 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As to be expected when reading a Linda Lael Miller book, this one was great. A wonderfully charming story with characters you fall in love with. It brought back memories of reading about Chance's relatives, Trace and Bridget, in, "Bridget", tempting me to reread it all over again.
Pnrbookworm
Oct 23, 2014 Pnrbookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Linda Lael Miller book. It captivated me from the start and I have read it four times through the years! Will always be my favorite because it was my first. Kinda like your first love!!
Vickie Loeser
Feb 07, 2015 Vickie Loeser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very enjoyable

I was looking for a quick beach book and not expecting much. Pleasantly surprised. The characters were interesting and well developed. The plot had enough suspense to keep me up at night reading just one more chapter. Overall very well written and engaging.
Angie
May 25, 2011 Angie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Ok. I am embarrassed to say that I read this. It was not that clean. I had to skip several pages and there was plenty of swearing. The story was good so a skip read it so I knew the end, but I will never read this author again.
Judy Wise
Apr 05, 2011 Judy Wise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is fun when you have read the beginning story of a family and this one brings you up to date 4 generations later. Little love, mystery and still kept with the theme of the first books.
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
  • Honey and the Hired Hand (Hawk's Way #1)
  • Out of the Storm (Stewart Sisters, #3)
  • Express Male (OPUS #2)
  • Star Bright (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan, #9)
  • Seductive Secrets (Secrets, #1)
  • Calder Pride (Calder Saga #5)
  • Nell's Cowboy (Heart of Texas #5)
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • Hot Pursuit (SEAL and Code Name, #4)
  • Summer Moon
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...