Start by marking “Introducing quantum theory” as Want to Read:
Introducing quantum theory

Introducing quantum theory (Introducing Series)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Quantum theory is one of science's most thrilling, challenging and even mysterious areas. Scientists such as Planck, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg and Schrödinger uncovered bizarre paradoxes in the early 20th century that seemed to destroy the fundamental assumptions of 'classical physics' - the basic laws we are taught in school. Notoriously difficult, quantum theory is none ...more
Paperback, Introducing, 176 pages
Published October 14th 2003 by Icon Books (first published July 22nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing quantum theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing quantum theory

Gabriel
Very useful. But despite being a member of the "Introducing..." series, this book does tend to assume that you understand certain science/physics concepts that you might have forgotten since your last class on the subject. My other complaint is that sometimes the drawings seem to just be inserted in order to have drawings. Some concepts that would be easier to understand with drawings, however, are lacking. Overall though, if you're looking for a readable introduction to Quantum Theory, I don't ...more
Michael
Part of the Introducing series of graphic guides, J. P. McEvoy and Oscar Zurate's guide to quantum theory is an absolute gem of a wee book, that has greatly increased (and will continue to do so for I see numerous re-readings in the future) my understanding and knowledge of the science and people behind the "most successful set of ideas ever devised by human beings."
The fact that the authors manage to cram so much into such a little guide is quite remarkable. Having read a few physics books tha
Viktoria
Das Buch bietet einen guten Überblick über die komplette Entwicklung der Quantentheorie. Die Illustrationen des Comics sind gut. Obwohl der Sachcomic eine Einführung ins Thema sein will, setzt er relativ viel Wissen voraus bzw. dass der Leser sehr schnell, sehr viel nachvollziehen kann.
Keine einfache Einführung, aber dennoch gut.
Tiff
I don't know if you can really "review" this book. You either like the subject or not but I will say it has a graphic novel feel to it which I found made it enjoyable to read
Eduardo
A ideia de utilizar o formato de história em quadrinho é sensacional, mas, o livro não é lá bem para público iniciante introdutório uma vez que diversos termos são utilizados sem, serem explicados (como seria de se esperar).

Levando em conta ainda que o livro é fino, eu tive a sensação de ter muito desenho para pouca explicação didática para valer.

Um outro ponto que notei foram alguns gráficos sem legendas ou explicação que é inaceitável para a proposta no meu ver.

Parei antes do meio e, quem sabe
James
To quote the one man to truly defy the laws of physics: "whoa."

I chose this book because of the word "introducing" in the title, and while accurate it would have been better to learn more about classical physics before diving in.

Even with the graphic-novel style I was still lost. It's impossible to determine whether this is the fault of the author (yes, some of the time) or the ignorance of the reader (yes, most of the time) but overall it's a worthwhile read if you know nothing about the subje
Tesa Fiona
First of all, the title is misleading. It's not an "Introduction" of Quantum Theory, it supposed to be a "Brief" explanation of it.

I am a graduate student in the study of light (photonics), now is home for holiday and saw this book sat on my Dad's shelf. So I picked up this book to see how this one could relate to beginners. Well, I must say, you need a little basic knowledge in physics to understand the theory explained here, also to grasp the significance of this study disciple.

For those who s
Morgan
A good overview of the history of post-classical atomic physics. This book focuses on the physicist themselves, as well as their theories and gets into the equations. The math can be difficult to grasp, and while the illustrations are helpful in breaking up the narrative, the cut-and-paste photocopied look to this book falls weirdly between DIY and slick making it more functional then aesthetically pleasing. Less tedious than a textbook, this is indeed an okay introduction to quantum theory.
Philip
Mar 06, 2009 Philip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like physics and comics
Shelves: science, non-fiction
This is a very short book which probably in total took me only 2 or 3 hours to read through. I usually read a few pages at a time when I had a spare moment, and the way the book's laid out makes it very easy to dip in an out of (it doesn't have long chapters, but discusses one main point in a couple of pages).

It's incredibly concise, getting straight to the point with the physics and the history behind it. It is quite heavy-going, but at least it's easy to pick something out and re-read it. It's
Jeffrey
I love this one. Hell, it's got pictures! Why is quantum physics so important? Well, at the dawn of the 20th century and the death of classic physics, we moved into a new age. And this new age brought about great discoveries and inventions. Did you know that quantum physics was responsible for computers? That microprocessors began with sub atomic theory? That the guys at the early Solvay Conferences in Brussels were an odd group? That many asked the question, why did so many like minded men of s ...more
Ben
More often than not, non-fiction graphic novels don't lend themselves to explaining complex ideas and concepts. This is the case of Introducing Quantum Theory. While it offers a solid historical background, the illustrations do little to illuminate the ideas and the depth lost to the comic form means the explanations are sub-par as well. Many of the statements seem so generic and boiled down, it's easy to take them to distant conclusions that doesn't exist (yet).

In some ways, this could be fun t
Matias
No podria haber pedido una mejor introduccion a la teoria cuantica que este libro. Me resulto muy ilustrativo e interesante pero hay muchas partes que requieren un nivel de entendimiento mayor al que se puede esperar de una persona que no posee conocimientos previos. De cualquier manera tengo que admitir que hubo partes que necesite volver a leer porque no me quedaron claras.
Chandler Pritchett
A good enough description of early 20th century physics. Appropriate for an undergraduate visual learner who needs a foundation for understanding the basic vocabulary and history of the discipline.
GONZA
Clear and interesting, the history of physics since 1800 through drawings and explanations seem almost understandable, almost.

Chiaro ed interessante, la storia della fisica dal 1800 ad oggi attraverso disegni e spiegazioni sembra quasi comprensibile, quasi.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND ICON BOOKS FOR THE PREVIEW!
Mslupiluu
Irgendwie hatte ich den Eindruck, dass der Autor sich zwischen biographischer und historischer Notiz und Ausführungen komplexer Inhalte nicht entscheiden konnte. Die Mischung ist leider nicht geglückt.
Shane Hall
An interesting little volume. Though really no more than a historical retelling of the late 1800's up to the end of WWII, and the development of the theory along the way, it gives a remarkably effective way of picturing wave/particle duality.
Brian Hodges
I had to read this book in order to learn Quantum Theory for a Discovery classroom series I was writing. While it's a lot heavier on the math, science and history of the theory than the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know", it does do a fair job of making the heavy concepts palatable via humor, analogies and comic-booky illustrations. By the end (and after several necessary re-reads) I actually felt like I had a good handle on just how Quantum Theory works, the mysteries it invokes and the reason i ...more
Taro Yamashita
An incredibly accessible summary of the history of physics. Written as a graphic novel, this emphasizes the history and very broad concepts of physics from classical mechanics to quantum theory. It's a painless and interesting way to get a very high level basic introduction to the major players and major concepts.

I lent this to a highly motivated 9th grade student of mine (when I was teaching science), and he understood it well enough to discuss it with me, and was interested enough in it to hav
Pieter Lombaard
Still quite complex but gives a great overview of where we are today (but maybe not anymore!).
Pam Stebbins
J.P.McEvoy introduces the reader to the scientists and ideas that developed into the field of quantum physics. It's graphic novel format drew me in despite my lack of high school physics. The author makes a valiant effort to give complicated information in a concise and clear manner by using charts, equations, silly drawings, and humor. There's a lot in this small book, and you won't understand quantum physics when you're done, but you will have an appeciation for how quantum physics came to be ...more
Doug
Don't be fooled by the cartoons, this is the real thing. Deep scientific shit, not for casual wonder. Not what I was looking for but might be good for student or future scientist.
Miroku Nemeth
Informative, but not really for the layman. I liked the pictures. :)

I think the focus could have actually been on the more interesting implications of Quantum physics and their implications for modern society. I have read Gregg Braden's "Divine Matrix", Fritjof Capra's "The Tao of Physics", and other similar works, but this was really more of a history lesson combined with a survey of the mathematics behind the different developments in quantum theory.
Claire
My Dad has a shirt that says, "What part of Quantum Theory don't you understand?" If the person who claims to understand quantum theory reaaly doesn't, then I'm good to go. Because I don't think I understand it. Still, apart from all the confusing equations and derivations that fill the pages, this book takes a helpful look at the broader ideas behind classical and quantum physics (plus their implications in terms of our worldview). And the drawings are fun!
Wilson
Feb 09, 2012 Wilson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have an interest in science/physics and have patience
This is an amazing book! It is extremely difficult for me - but after all, I'm just 12 years old - so I guess that it is very good. These concepts are so amazing and I love to learn more about them. I can't believe that before I had thought that I understood a bunch of this stuff- there are just SO many fascinating ideas to learn. This is a great book, if you are interested in science and have patience (you'll need it!), then this, you have to read.
Michel
Sep 11, 2011 Michel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci
Remember Denzel in Philadelphia: "Explain it to me like I'm a 5-year-old"?
If you regret having cut high school science, or if you've forgotten all about it, this is the book for you.
If however you know something about quantum physics other than how it's spelled, skip.
Fun little book, anecdotes, gossip, more drawings than words almost.
Great "fake-it" help if your love interest is a scientist...
Alice Nguyen
I have always had an unfriendly relationship with anything related to that little subject called Physics. Quantum theory is just all the more a monster in my eyes. However, I have to say that I found this book funny and pleasant. Heck, I even liked reading it, a book about Quantum Theory! Now if only the Physics taught in my school can be entertaining as well, I might be just a little bit better at it.
Walt
In cartoon style, this little book races through the history of which scientists discovered what in the field of quantum theory. One disappointment is that the book never mentions string theory (I was hoping for a pseudo-intuitive explanation.) Clearly some physics background is required to even begin to understand the topic(s).
Latha
Its incredibly well-explained with that little touch of humor. As close to making 'Heavy Matter' Subjects like Quantum Mechanics a easy-to-read Pulp Fiction. Took me back to my graduation days of Physics. However, it may require knowledge and understanding of physics, especially the classical theory - Newtonian.
Harry
An excellent introduction to Quantum Theory and its history, this book also illustrates the learning value of comics. Somewhere between an illustrated book and a comic book, it makes some rather complicated concepts stick to your mind long after you've read it -more than a decade, in this case.
So Hakim
As the title says, it's an introductory book to quantum mechanics. Pros: have illustration and point-by-point exposition. Cons: some crucial themes are given too little explanation. Decent book, but it should have dabbled more about Born Probability and Q. Entanglement.
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Relativity: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Philosophy
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • Introducing Mind & Brain (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 123 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Introducing Stephen Hawking A Brief History of the Universe Eclipse La physique quantique sans aspirine