Start by marking “Robin of Sherwood” as Want to Read:
Robin of Sherwood

Robin of Sherwood

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When a 12-year-old boy discovers a skull from an upturned grave, he feels suddenly weak. The trees swirl above him and he dreams the life of Robin Hood. Michael Morpurgo transforms a traditional legend into a dramatically suspenseful adventure story with an unforgettable ending. Full color.
Published September 1st 1996 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Robin of Sherwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin of Sherwood

Blair Hodgkinson
This is an enjoyable young adult novel, and a decent retelling of the Robin Hood legend. The story is greatly simplified, but it is well-told overall with some clever twists and turns.

I would agree with other reviewers who found the present-day framing narrative around the story to be quite unnecessary to this book.

If one is looking for a decent young adult version of the legend this one stacks up somewhere in the middle, several notches above the recent A.C. Gaughen novel Scarlet and Kathryn L
Kristen
Robin of Sherwood is an adventure story of the well known tale of Robin of Sherwood forest. The main story line is consistent but new details are prevalent creating a new take on the fantastic suspenseful adventure. The story starts off in first person narration with a boy discovering a skull by his favourite tree. Reading on in a dream like state, the story transforms into the traditional tale of Robin Hood, which soon becomes the main plot. The depiction of the original tale is wonderful and t ...more
Celestia
From my son:

I really liked this book. I've always liked Robin Hood. I like most stories placed in Medieval times.
The main conflicts he had were with the sheriff and Sir Guy of Gizborn. He was fighting them because they put high taxes on the people of Nottingham. The high point of the story is when Robin Hood and his men pop out of the wheat and start attacking the sheriff's men. They end up winning with 35 casualties on Robin's side. King Richard gets rid of the taxes. Robin becomes a knight.
Dan
This is Michael Morpurgo's take on Robin Hood and you can tell straight away when we get the typical Morpurgo framing device at the start (and at the end). I can see how this would be useful for many stories to relate to the context but Robin Hood is so well known it just isn't necessary here.

The story itself isn't anything special. It's a decent enough re-telling of the Robin Hood legend but nothing is really added here and large chunks of time are skipped over where apparently nothing interes
Anne Hamilton
Yep, it's another book by Michael Morpurgo with his trademark framing story. This one's a winner.

A boy spends a fearful night with his grandmother in the tiny room under the stairs, lit by guttering candles, as a hurricane rages outside. In the morning he races out to see if "his" tree, a great oak in a high valley, has survived. He is devastated to see it has been entirely uprooted. As he clambers down into the crater made by its overthrow, he finds a silver arrowhead, a hollow cow's horn, a l
Randy
The tale is old, and been retold so many times. The young man of Sherwood Forest. Fighting for the poor and trying to rescue his king. This timeless tale has once again been told, and while the main parts of the legend are not changed, some of the finer details are. Marion is an albino forced to live in the forest as she, and the other outlaws have been cast out of the town. Robin, happens upon them during the rescue of his father, who has been blinded by the Sheriff. The rest of the story is no ...more
Shivers
Outlaw was one of the best books I ever read.
It was really exciting and adventurous.
It was a really interesting perspective on the life of Robin Hood.
I was particularly interested in Marion's story.
It made me really sad at the ending and I think you would know why.
I would recommend this book for mature readers (around 10 or older) and people who like history and adventure.
CB
Through a careful combination of age-appropriate text and beautiful illustrations, Michael Morpurgo and Michael Foreman have made the ancient story of Robin Hood accessible to a 21st-century audience. The story begins with the first person narration of a twelve-year-old boy living in contemporary England. After a terrible storm topples his favorite tree, the boy finds the bones of Robin Hood beneath the roots. This experience plunges him into a dream, which is, or was, the reality of the Sherwoo ...more
Chent Higson
Sophie Sawbridge
This book was so quick to read and was really gripping for a book I was reading for work. I can't wait to use it in my English lessons with the children next term.
Chris
Now reprinted and retirled 'Outlaw' in March 2012this book is no longer available as Robin of Sherwood.

This books is fantastic and I think children would be riveted to this from start to finish. My only criticism is the 'dream' scenario, which is perhaps a tad outdated now with today's modern audience who are more adventerous, but it does retell the story of Robin Hood beautifully and the description is fantastic. This could be a good book for reluctant boy readers, although there is some comple
Mya Veenendaal
Great book I couldn't put it down
Courtney Clark
It keeps a pretty close relationship with the classic tales, with a few notable differences. Being myself, every change rankled, but all in all a great story.
Mary
This was fine, but I wasn't sure about the framing device of a modern-day boy discovering Robin Hood's bones and having a flash-back of his life. Very unnecessary. I also wasn't sure if Morpurgo was taking liberties or going back to a more accurate version of the story but certain elements (such as Marion being an albino) were a little strange to me.
It's a decent enough book to get "young adults" interested in the story but not as good as I wanted it to be.
Jadet
I thought that this book was very adventurous and sometimes a little sad. This book follows the life of a young boy named Robin and his adventures in Sherwood forest. Out of 5 I would probably give this book a 4 because it was entertaining, made you smile and sometimes made you want to cry.
Anja Vasilyeva
Ik vond het wel een zeer geslaagd boek, vooral heel spannend en afgestemd op de jeugd van vandaag. Wat ik vooral goed vond was dat er zeer weinig langdurige beschrijvingen waren, waardoor ik vaak afgeleid geraak en dat er meer spannende acties waren waardoor je verder wil lezen. Minpuntje: redelijk veel oude woorden, die ik eerst even moest opzoeken vooraleer ik verder kon met lezen.
Krissy
This book was ok there was alot of swearing in this book and alot of blood and killing and it was in the olden days so there was hanging in it and there eyes were cut out too as a punishment but rather than that it was pretty good.
Arman Izadi
Amzaing. Absolutely beautiful. A very good book wich gave an amazing depiction of the classic tale. It held me at bay with it's descriptive and great story. The very style of depiction is worthy of great praise.
FoundAlaska
It was nice but sometimes I completely lost the story, especially in the end. As a child I used to love this book but apparently I've outgrown it. Still a recommendation for children though.
Parinita
3.5 stars. I thought the first and last chapters linking the story to the present were a tad unnecessary but the rest of the book was a fast, enjoyable read.
David
Morpurgo does a great job adapting classic stories with a good mix of tradition and original material, and the artwork is fabulous.
Paddy Kilcar
SPOILER ALERT: Why did Robin,Friar Tuck and Little John have to die :(
Jen
a really interesting retelling of this story
Maninee
absolutely brilliant!
Ruben
The classic Robin Hood
Petra
Robin Hood was cool guy
Jessica Rose
Jessica Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery
  • Feather Boy
  • The Kite Rider
  • Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
  • William in Trouble (Just William, #8)
  • The Adventures of Unc' Billy Possum
  • The Iron Woman
  • Mr. Mean (Mr. Men Library)
  • Verkeerde vrienden
  • Emma's Rug
  • The Fourth of July Story
  • Micawber
  • The Hundred-Mile-An-Hour Dog
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Hinterkind Vol. 2: Written in Blood
  • The Chronicles of Robin Hood
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
Michael has worked on magazines, book jackets, animated films, TV adverts, and even for the police, sketching criminals described by witnesses. As well as illustrating many of his own books, Michael has illustrated over a hundred books for authors such as Shakespeare, J. M. Barrie, the Brothers Grimm, Charles Dickens and Oscar Wilde. Michael has travelled widely - to Africa, Japan, the Arctic Circ ...more
More about Michael Foreman...
The Littlest Dinosaur Fortunately, Unfortunately A Child's Garden: A Story of Hope Dinosaurs And All That Rubbish Friends