Start by marking “Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon” as Want to Read:
Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon
Preview

Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon (Holiday Series)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Mabon, Feast of Avalon, Cornucopia, Harvest Home, Festival of the Vine . . . there are many names for this magickal holiday that celebrates the autumn equinox, the first day of fall. Ellen Dugan takes a fresh look at this "forgotten" Sabbat and demonstrates how to make the most of this enchanting season.
Featuring craft projects, recipes, enchantments, and valuable informa
Published June 8th 2005 by Llewellyn Publications (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Equinox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Equinox

Tatiana
Really nice book to learn more about the mythology and folklore related to the autumn equinox and more generally the whole season of autumn, as well as about neopagan and Wiccan approach to this period of the year.

The author talks of the various names given to the equinox in different cultures and of prechristian traditions around it. She tells us about the symbolism of the astrological signs Virgo and Libra, both related to the month of September. Various mythological tales (such as those invo
Brad Byers
This book is part of Llewellyn's sabbat series. I must say I truly do enjoy the entire series, some volumes more than others admittedly.

However, I love Autumn Equinox! I am a general fan of Dugan's works, I just love her writing style. She uses a very personal writing style, sharing bits of humor and personal experiances along the way. However, she doesn't talk down to her readers and her work caters to different levels, beginner to advanced, all at once. This book is no different.

Among the sea
Jenny Prince
Ellen Dugan is interesting in that she organizes her books in a rather odd fashion; much of this book is useless to me. I checked it out in an effort to learn more about the celebrations of the autumn equinox, but have learned more about the author's own passions and difficulties with the celebration and the research thereof.

That said, I learned quite a bit toward starting my own harvest traditions with my new family, and I look forward to reading her other books, especially about herbal and gar
Chrissy
I normally like Ellen's work, but this was not-so-hot. Of course, why this holiday is even called Mabon is beyond me. What does it have to do with Mabon ap Modron from Welsh mythology? How does that tie in with a harvest celebration? Why are people continuing to pull things out of their arse and call them "ancient"?

Skip it, as "Mabon" has no basis in anything but the last 50 yrs of "pagan/wiccan" history.
Patricia Gulley
An interesting read, lots of references for our autumn celebrations, but more religion thrown in than I expected.
Patricia
Another of the eight holidays that make up the wheel of the year in Paganism. A wonderful harvest book.
Eric
Solid read here. A bit thinner on the history as opposed to some in this series, but still a nice resource!
Jess
great book, i love the good recipies in this book..makes me wanna start baking right away!!
Danielle Alexandria
I really enjoyed this book. Pretty informative, some great recipes and ideas.
Willa Grant
Fun book about an underated Sabbat
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Heathalynn
Heathalynn marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Kira Ryder
Kira Ryder marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Jen Stewart
Jen Stewart marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Magickal Owl
Magickal Owl marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kelly Murray
Kelly Murray marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Loran Keyse
Loran Keyse marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Mabon: Celebrating the Autumn Equinox
  • Yule: A Celebration of Light & Warmth
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • Celebrate the Earth: A Year of Holidays in the Pagan Tradition
  • Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • The Pagan Book of Days: A Guide to the Festivals, Traditions, and Sacred Days of the Year
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft: Shadows, Spirits and the Healing Journey (Temple of Witchcraft, #3)
  • Earth Magic: A Book of Shadows for Positive Witches
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website
More about Ellen Dugan...

Holiday Series (8 books)
  • Yule: A Celebration of Light & Warmth
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Lammas: Celebrating Fruits of the First Harvest
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality The Enchanted Cat: Feline Fascinations, Spells & Magick