Start by marking “Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon” as Want to Read:
Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon

Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon (Holiday Series)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Mabon, Feast of Avalon, Cornucopia, Harvest Home, Festival of the Vine . . . there are many names for this magickal holiday that celebrates the autumn equinox, the first day of fall. Ellen Dugan takes a fresh look at this "forgotten" Sabbat and demonstrates how to make the most of this enchanting season.
Featuring craft projects, recipes, enchantments, and valuable informa
Published June 8th 2005 by Llewellyn Publications (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Equinox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Equinox

Wicca by Scott CunninghamLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkEarth, Air, Fire & Water by Scott CunninghamA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Books for Wiccans
105th out of 180 books — 150 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver ElvesThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamAn Elfin Book of Spirits by The Silver Elves
Wicca
31st out of 68 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Dec 24, 2014 Tatiana rated it it was amazing
Really nice book to learn more about the mythology and folklore related to the autumn equinox and more generally the whole season of autumn, as well as about neopagan and Wiccan approach to this period of the year.

The author talks of the various names given to the equinox in different cultures and of prechristian traditions around it. She tells us about the symbolism of the astrological signs Virgo and Libra, both related to the month of September. Various mythological tales (such as those invo
Brad
Sep 28, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing
This book is part of Llewellyn's sabbat series. I must say I truly do enjoy the entire series, some volumes more than others admittedly.

However, I love Autumn Equinox! I am a general fan of Dugan's works, I just love her writing style. She uses a very personal writing style, sharing bits of humor and personal experiances along the way. However, she doesn't talk down to her readers and her work caters to different levels, beginner to advanced, all at once. This book is no different.

Among the sea
Jenny Prince
Ellen Dugan is interesting in that she organizes her books in a rather odd fashion; much of this book is useless to me. I checked it out in an effort to learn more about the celebrations of the autumn equinox, but have learned more about the author's own passions and difficulties with the celebration and the research thereof.

That said, I learned quite a bit toward starting my own harvest traditions with my new family, and I look forward to reading her other books, especially about herbal and gar
Christine
I normally like Ellen's work, but this was not-so-hot. Of course, why this holiday is even called Mabon is beyond me. What does it have to do with Mabon ap Modron from Welsh mythology? How does that tie in with a harvest celebration? Why are people continuing to pull things out of their arse and call them "ancient"?

Skip it, as "Mabon" has no basis in anything but the last 50 yrs of "pagan/wiccan" history.
Wondra Vanian
Sep 03, 2015 Wondra Vanian rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year at about this time. It's one of my favourite books and a must-have for witchy folk.
Patricia Gulley
Aug 04, 2013 Patricia Gulley rated it really liked it
An interesting read, lots of references for our autumn celebrations, but more religion thrown in than I expected.
Patricia
May 03, 2009 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Another of the eight holidays that make up the wheel of the year in Paganism. A wonderful harvest book.
Eric
Sep 28, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: old-ways-stuff
Solid read here. A bit thinner on the history as opposed to some in this series, but still a nice resource!
Jess
Sep 11, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
great book, i love the good recipies in this book..makes me wanna start baking right away!!
Danielle Alexandria
Aug 23, 2013 Danielle Alexandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan
I really enjoyed this book. Pretty informative, some great recipes and ideas.
Willa Grant
Feb 17, 2008 Willa Grant rated it really liked it
Fun book about an underated Sabbat
Kerry
Kerry added it
Feb 03, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mysha K.
Mysha K. marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 27, 2016
Becki
Becki added it
Jan 24, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Ydnrb
Ydnrb rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Chessaria Moriarty
Chessaria Moriarty marked it as to-read
DKendra
DKendra rated it it was amazing
Daniel McKenzie
Daniel McKenzie rated it did not like it
Coleen
Coleen is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Heather  Pratt
Heather Pratt rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Kasee Hall
Kasee Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Yule: A Celebration of Light & Warmth
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Celebrate the Earth: A Year of Holidays in the Pagan Tradition
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • Mabon: Celebrating the Autumn Equinox
  • Handfasting and Wedding Rituals: Welcoming Hera's Blessing
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • Ancient Ways: Reclaiming the  Pagan Tradition (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)
  • Signs, Symbols & Omens: An Illustrated Guide to Magical & Spiritual Symbolism
  • A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website
More about Ellen Dugan...

Holiday Series (8 books)