Start by marking “700 Sundays” as Want to Read:
700 Sundays

700 Sundays

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  4,163 Ratings  ·  561 Reviews
Now in paperback comes Billy Crystal's heartfelt and hilarious "New York Times" bestseller: a moving memoir of his youth and the precious days shared by an adoring father and a devoted son.
Published October 24th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 31st 2005)

StaringGirl
StaringGirl rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Amy
My girlfriend Liz lent me a copy of this. I liked it so much I got a copy to BookCross. It's not a deep or profound book, but is a funny, touching tale of a boy's love for his family and life.

Funny. funny man. I found myself snickering and giggling at some of his throw away lines. I had to read about a dozen of them out to mr czuk...grandpa's tea drinking, toots and farts, mother of the lesbian bride, "the face", Billy discovers his boy parts...

But the thing that blew me away was that his family
Mahlon
Mar 09, 2010 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves comedy
Recommended to Mahlon by: watching the Oscars
Shelves: read-2010
You'd expect a comic genius like Billy Crystal to write an incredibly funny book, but the fact that it's also deeply moving might come as a surprise. 700 Sundays is Billy's tribute to his father(who died when Billy was a teenager) and his large and jovial family, full of characters, who provided the encouragement and support he needed to become a successful comedian. This book's only flaw is that it's too short. Those who are looking for a conventional Biography full of career highlights will be ...more
Collin Clack
Apr 24, 2012 Collin Clack rated it really liked it
"700 Sundays" by Billy Crystal was one of the most heart clenching books i've ever read. The book is about the young life from the birth until college days for well known celebrity Billy Crystal. Billy talks about his time spent in Long Beach NY and the happiness,adventures and the short time he spent with his dad. Billy uses characterization,setting and symbolism to further grip the readers heart.
The use of charcterization in the story is very important because it gives the reader info on how
Jeannie Walker
Jul 15, 2014 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was funny and sad at the same time. I could relate to how Billy Crystal felt with the passing of his dad and mother. It was as if I was right there with him as he was telling the story... and his funny relatives, I laughed my head off. I loved everything about this book. Of course I had to watch it on TV, over and over. I have an appreciation for this wonderful man that I did not have before, even though he has always been one of my favorite comedians and actor. Everyone should get th ...more
Andrea
Jan 16, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Who knew Billy Crystal's life was touched by so many different characters and cultures. This book focuses on his father mostly and the estimated amount of time he had to spend with his family. Like many fathers back then, they only had 1 day a week to spend together. And if you were lucky you looked forward to it. Billy adds in the personalities of so many other characters that touch his life through the years, There's the LI mobster, Billy's extended family complete with accents and baggage, hi ...more
Charles Isom
Jun 09, 2014 Charles Isom rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this adaption of Billy Crystal's stage play. I would definitely recommend seeing the special if at all possible, as much of the humor comes from Crystal's rapid-fire delivery. The book, actually, was stronger when he simply told the story of his family and their impact on the jazz scene in New York as well as other, more serious stories.
Laura Long
Mar 20, 2017 Laura Long rated it it was amazing
So relatable, funny, down to earth. Made me think about my own family
Book Concierge
From the book jacket - One of America’s most beloved entertainers takes us home. Billy Crystal opens the front door to a time in his life when he shared joy, love, music, and laughter with an eccentric family headed by the hardworking father who left them all too soon. To support his family, Billy’s father, Jack, worked two jobs and long hours and could spare only Sundays to spend with his loved ones.

My reactions
This just proves that people’s ordinary, every-day lives can be far more interestin
Ron Ecklebarger
Feb 27, 2016 Ron Ecklebarger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, comedy
700 Sundays are not a lot for a boy to have with his father. Yet that is how many Sundays Billy Crystal had with his. Billy tells us the story of his life through the lens of the Sundays he had with his dad. Jack, Billy’s dad, managed the Commodore Music Shop on 42nd Street between Lexington and Third in New York City. On Friday and Saturday nights, Jack produced free jazz concerts. So Sundays were the day Billy spend with his dad.

For me, one of the best parts is where Billy talks about his two
Tima
I liked this book much more than I expected to. It was downright funny at time, pulled on the heart strings at others and left me feeling like this was a man who really loves his family.

Outside of this book, I really no nothing about his upbringing, his family, his delve into celebrity fame. What I love about his story, is that he focused on all the people who shaped him into who he became and not on the ins and outs of A-List Hollywood [as most celebrity memoirs tend to be..].

His uncle became t
Nancy Rossman
Jul 30, 2012 Nancy Rossman rated it liked it
This was a sweet breath of fresh air, a few laughs, a remarkable family life for the background of an entertainer. I loved the reminisces more than the laughs. And then, I have to say something about all the comedians who write their memoirs. It's the delivery that makes them work, makes them a comedian. Sure you need great lines...and there were some in this little book but not as much as you might think. On paper, for the reader...they fall flat. This wasn't nearly as fun and riotous as readin ...more
Lain
Nov 30, 2007 Lain rated it really liked it
The tough thing about reading books by comedians is that they seem to be missing something - the words need to be read aloud, not read silently in one's head. There is an element of that flatness in 700 Sundays, a memoir of Crystal's early years, but there's more than just a transcript of his monologues. Read between the jokes and you'll see the story of a family, from the great Uncle Berns to the sassy Aunt Sylvia, but most of all Crystal's nuclear family - his mom, dad, and the three sons.

Fro
Cait
Mar 18, 2009 Cait rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I started reading it, already knowing that I love Billy Crystal. I love him even more now. This is exactly the kind of memoir I enjoy the most. Made me cry, 3 times. I mean, look at this.

Page 177:
"We're at a table. I'm sitting across from 'Him,' and there are five cards spread in front of me.
.......
The last one...'Get to do what you've always wanted to do since you first made them laugh in the living room.'
I hold the cards in my hand. He stares me down. I look at them one mor
Grant Trevarthen
Oct 23, 2011 Grant Trevarthen rated it it was amazing
To have the God given ability to make someone laugh is indeed a true gift. Billy Crystal is such a person.in this poignant tribute to his father we are pivileged to see the other side of a man who has brought humour to a worldwide audience.
Growing up in the late 40's and during the 50's we see a young Billy in a Jewish family that always seemed busy. His father who was a musician,record producer and shopowner, whose only free time was on a Sunday. So thereby hangs this tale of a son deprived all
Gerald Curtis
Sep 27, 2012 Gerald Curtis rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book, because I expected it to be a biography of Billy Crystal, but found that it was more about his dad than him. Because of his father’s work and business commitments, the only time his family ever had with him was on Sundays, and 700 represents the years that Billy was old enough to have a relationship with him before he died, equaling about thirteen and a half years.

Other than it turning out to be more of a biography of his hero father, I did not appreciate the con
Joye Fulgirl
Jun 27, 2016 Joye Fulgirl rated it really liked it
I'm guessing this would be even better as the show he did on stage, but it was still really good as a book. It is simply Billy Crystal talking about his family, about growing up, and especially about the special moments he had with his dad. Because it's Billy Crystal it is tremendously funny, but it is also very moving and at times deeply sad. Definitely worth the read (as long as you're prepared to face bittersweet moments, as that is what life is all about.)
♥ Sandi ❣
Apr 21, 2012 ♥ Sandi ❣ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm, funny, personal and eye opening story of Billy Crystals early life. It tells of the tragedy, heartbreak and fascination of living in the 40's and 50's. As you meet Billy's family you are drawn into his eclectic young life. It is surprising the number of contributions to the music business that came from the Crystal family.

700 Sundays was the length of time Billy had his father - alive. There is a play of the same name, starring Billy Crystal.

Joanne-in-Canada
Feb 01, 2013 Joanne-in-Canada rated it really liked it
For me, Billy Crystal will always be the endearing Jody from the TV series Soap. I read about--but didn't see--his Broadway show about the 700 Sundays that he shared about his father. This book, based on his show, captures the warm and creative atmosphere of Crystal's childhood home, and his close relationship with his parents, brothers and extended family. Funny, sarcastic, and tender.
Mike
Sep 22, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a memoir of Billy Crystal' s extended family. Some of it is funny. Some of it is very interesting (i.e. the musical and show business connections of his father and uncles). Much of it is sentimental. It's a short book and I enjoyed it for the most part.
Jon Smith
Dec 18, 2015 Jon Smith rated it really liked it
I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. Very entertaining memoir about baseball, college, growing up
in high school, our fathers, brothers, and struggling with mother at times. Billy might be the closest we've got to
a Mark Twain.
Connie
Jan 06, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, heartwarming book that clearly shows true love for family. It made me laugh out loud. Great!
Anna Ciddor
May 28, 2016 Anna Ciddor rated it really liked it
Very touching, interesting writing style
Lauren Keller
May 08, 2017 Lauren Keller rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure this is copied verbatim from his stage show, which was nice because I never got to see it!

Super easy read, and a nice foray into someone else's interesting childhood with a crazy and colorful family.
Carol Bledsoe
Jun 16, 2017 Carol Bledsoe rated it liked it
This is a fun, fast read. In many places throughout the book I could hear Billy Crystal's voice. It is humorous and sad at times. I really enjoyed reading about his childhood. What a joy it must have been being around so many amazing musicians.
Jeff Campbell
May 07, 2017 Jeff Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very enjoyable book. I found myself laughing out loud several times. It's also a short and easy read. And as a big music fan, I also enjoyed his many stories about his Uncle, Father, Billie Holiday, and more.
Angela
Feb 28, 2017 Angela rated it it was ok
Nope. Still don't like Billy Chrystal. I only laughed once. I did like how he ended this knowing the chemical symbol for Lead.
Chris
May 30, 2017 Chris rated it really liked it
I saw the show of the same name on Broadway years ago. This was the same story. I remembered a lot of it, and not d a couple of differences. Funny and touching. Very enjoyable
Tien
Jan 16, 2017 Tien rated it really liked it
Aww... I thought this was going to be a funny book by a comedian. Well, there were some hilarious content but this book is about author's limited time with his father (you get told this in chapter 1 so not really a spoiler) so it was full of heartfelt touching memories of loving family. I cry rather more easily than laughing out loud when I read so I shed quite a bit of tears. It was a lovely read.
Candace Chesler
Mar 14, 2017 Candace Chesler rated it really liked it
Very funny read of Billy Crystal's memories of growing up. Read it while I was in Florida - just a few miles away Aunt's place. I think I've met her.
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-Biz Saga
  • Bearded Tit
  • Black Is the New White
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Might As Well Laugh About It Now
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up: A Love Story
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Keeper: One House, Three Generations, and a Journey into Alzheimer's
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Chords of Strength: A Memoir of Soul, Song and the Power of Perseverance
William Jacob Crystal is a Golden Globe Award-nominated and Emmy Award-winning American actor, writer, producer, comedian, and film director. He gained prominence in the 1970s for playing Richard Mulligan's & Cathryn Damon's TV son, Jodie Dallas, on the ABC comedy-drama, Soap, and became a Hollywood film star during the late 1980s and 1990s, appearing in the box office successes When Harry Met ...more
More about Billy Crystal...

“Consider the rose...The rose is the sweetest smelling flower of all, and it's the most beautiful because it's the most simple, right? But sometimes, you got to clip the rose. You got to cut the rose back, so something sweeter smelling and stronger, and even more beautiful, will grow in its place” 22 likes
“The kind of people who spoke mostly Yiddish, which is a combination of German and phlegm. This is a language of coughing and spitting; until I was eleven, I wore a raincoat.” 3 likes