Start by marking “Shortgrass Song” as Want to Read:
Shortgrass Song

Shortgrass Song

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Shortgrass Song is the saga of young Caleb Holcomb as he makes his way through life in an epic as big as Texas itself. Caleb's adventures take him through Civil War battles, buffalo hunts, Indian wars and barroom shoot-outs. On his way he meets:

Snake Woman--the Comanche slave woman who kidnaps him as a child in an attempt to regain her rightful place in the tribe.

Kicking D
Published June 15th 1995 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Shortgrass Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shortgrass Song

Kevin
Have you ever read a book that will forever remain engrained in your memory? One that you enjoyed so much that in some ways you hated to see it end? This is one of those books I will never forget! I have read many great westerns by Lamour and Kelton, but this was my first book I have read by Mike Blakely. I can understand now why he earned a spur award for this book, it is a sweeping epic that takes you through the eyes of a father, mother, and 3 sons during an era when the west was being tamed ...more
Jim Vuksic
I read this book as favor to a an acquaintance of mine. She loves western themed books. I don't.
After reading Short Grass Song, I still do not like westerns; not even this one. However, I do think that Mr. Blakely is a talented writer and great story teller. He utilizes an extensive vocabulary and sentence structure in such a skillful manner that the story flows smoothly; making it an easy read.
If someone does enjoy this genre, I am pretty sure that they would give this book at least a 3-star ra
Martha Bratton
Martha Bratton marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Willa Jean
Willa Jean marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
David
David added it
Mar 01, 2014
Crystal Holmbeck
Crystal Holmbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Zjourney
Zjourney marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2012
Comanche Dawn: A Novel Moon Medicine Come Sundown Summer of Pearls Too Long at the Dance: The sequel to 'Shortgrass Song'