Start by marking “Demons Don't Dream (Xanth, #16)” as Want to Read:
Demons Don't Dream (Xanth, #16)

Demons Don't Dream (Xanth #16)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  6,057 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Beloved by millions of readers around the world, Piers Anthony's Xanth novels are among the most popular fantasy adventures ever published. Demons Don't Dream begins a thrilling new Xanth sequence, as a pair of young adventurers play for the highest stakes of all: the future of Xanth--and of Earth as well!

Drawn into Xanth by a harmless-looking computer game, two young peop
Hardcover
Published by Del Rey Books (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Demons Don't Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demons Don't Dream

Edward Larel
My first Piers Anthony novel. I read this in the eighth grade when my mother got it for me while I waited for a new animorphs book to come out. I remember she told me it was about a videogame and kids that get pulled into it.

So, I gave it a shot and, as it turns out, really really liked it. The puns that I eventually learned are an everyday aspect of Piers Anthony's writing were hilarious, and I even paused to decipher the riddles when Dug did.

The story was also wrapped up nicely in the end, and
Julie Decker
Two children from Mundania get pulled into Xanth through a computer game--which is actually the plot of a demon!--and each has a Xanth guide. Dug chooses Nada Naga to guide him, and Kim chooses Jenny Elf. As they quest to win a magical talent, they encounter each other, and soon love is in the air. But how will Dug's skepticism and Kim's encounter with goblins affect the land of Xanth?

The introduction of an outside element provided a breather from the same old thing--sort of--but most of the sam
Ruben
first book i ever read from the series and it was for a school work, making this one the cornerstone and reference for the series, besides i even got to play game (readers would know) ^^
Chris
one of the few books by piers anthony that wasn't entirely creepy.

also i read this because of the pc game.
Swankivy
I remember liking this one okay when I read it in high school, primarily because it involved kids from the "real world" (well, Mundania, as Xanth calls it), and involved a computer game. Overall I kinda hate the trope of "kids play a game and OOPS IT'S REAL," but since everything about Xanth is kinda ridiculous, it's not too hard to overlook that in this case.

Kim and Dug are the Mundanian kids. They have to pick a Xanth character as a companion and go on quests to win a magical talent, which sou
Anna Tan
Okay, so the only Piers Anthony I read before this was A Spell for Chameleon and I loved it.
I have no idea what happened in the books in between, but I didn't really enjoy this one that much. It was fun and pretty interesting as well as extremely punny, but I think that was the problem - it was quite an overdose of puns, some of which weren't really THAT funny.
J Austill
This book addresses a question which most readers have been asking since the start of the series:

How do I get to Xanth and can I, by any chance, get a talent?

This book, for the first time in any Xanth novel (forget Man from Mundania, you'll thank me later) is from the perspective of Mundanes. It's about a couple of us who actually get to go to and experience Xanth.

What is well done in that one character is a fan of Xanth and buys into it immediately and the other is a skeptic who thinks that it
John David
I really shouldn't like this book as much as I do, since this was well after the part at which the quality of the series started to go downhill, but the videogame concept of the story really appeals to me. It's a great framing device, and the concept of the contest between the Demons adds some drama and tension to what's otherwise become a very fluffy and unthreatening fantasy world.

Of course, this was my first Xanth novel, so it has a special place in my heart. Generally the books you read fir
Sarah Sammis
Ten years ago when I was freelancing I read most of the Xanth series in order. Usually I don't binge on a book series like that but I somehow had most of these books and they were easy to read while I was riding the train to and from San Diego to work with my main client. Although I think I've had Demons Don't Dream for a decade I somehow missed reading it.

So ten years in, my tastes have changed and matured. I read up chapter four and had to put the book aside. The puns were forced. The plot wa
Pbnray
the first book of Piers Anthony i read... great read full of puns and a good story... i love how anthony can take "mundane" things and make them magical and explain them in i light hearted new way.

i first discovered this series in high school for a book report... where i read demons dont dream. i found the book a couple years ago and was like hey i liked this book in high school ill read it again... and liked it again... after some research i found out it was the 16th book in a series of over 30
Tracy
After reading the first 5 or so of the Piers Anthony Xanth series, picked up a few more at Book Buyers in Mountain View. Very much enjoyed this one, about Mundane (Human, non-magic) entities playing a video game which takes them into the magical world of Xanth to win a magic talent. I'm hooked on the Piers Anthony Xanth series and recently discovered I can check them out as ebooks on OpenLibrary.org. Fun!
Andy
Jul 25, 2007 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Punsters, fantasy fans, adolescents
Haven't read any of the Xanth series but this (and an illustrated "Compendium of Xanth" I bought anticipating I'd read more than I did) but I enjoyed this book. I actually played the obscure computer game before reading but that made me appreciate it more, since everything the game writes out or makes up pales in comparison to the fun of the actual book. I've always been a sucker for quirky adventures with strange characters, and this one satisfies (highlights include the memorable Com-Pewter). ...more
Jeff Powers
Not quite the roaring adventure I remember from earlier volumes, but not a bad story. The puns and play on words were just as smile-enducing as ever. A fun distraction for a few hours but far from the best of the series.
Jim
The 16th Xanth novel (or so) and I had anticipated having to slog through another pun-filled, strangely-fixated on juvenile sexuality, walk-around Xanth novel, which the series seems to have degenerated into after the first half-dozen novels or so.

Well, I was right, except that the video-game twist and Mundane main characters really did provide enough difference to what I was expecting to make this a relatively pleasant read.

Not prime Xanth (which hasn't existed for some time before this novel),
Jim
Better than its predecessor, The Color of Her Panties, but still one of the weaker entries in the Xanth series. Two ordinary teenagers who purchase a brand new Xanth computer game are whisked through the monitor and into Xanth itself, where they become participants in a contest. The biggest problem with this book is that the whole plot is centered around the Companions of Xanth computer game, which was soon-to-be released in stores when the book was published, but is now 15 years old and long si ...more
Samantha
I first read this book when I was in middle school, and thought it was incredibly entertaining. I'm now a senior in college and still found it incredibly entertaining on my re-read. Though the story is really just fluff, it's a fun, fast-paced read with a lot of wit and a proportional amount of cheese. The characters are intriguing, the writing is solid, and the plot -- though simplistic -- is enjoyable. I never got into the Xanth series, really, but this book has always stood out in my memory a ...more
Lisa
I first read this book when I was 12. It was my first introduction to Xanth, and I fell in love. I attempted to read others but none stuck with me like this book did. I lost my dog eared well loved copy many years ago and finally found one online to purchase. I was so excited to start reading it, and though it didn't grip me quite as tightly as the first time I read it, I still love the quirky characters, puny lines and total ridiculousness that is Xanth. So happy to have found this book again.
D. Sarah
Dug and Kim are sucked into fantasy-world Xanth through a video game. This story is full of adventure, puns, and danger! What kid wouldn't enjoy this book? I read this as a 6th grader, and read it again in high school, and again after college. This is one of the very few books I've read more than once. It was so different and so unique from anything else that I had read by the time that I was 12 that I couldn't put it down and now it takes me back every time I pick it up.
Maggie
I liked it more than i thought I would. Maybe because even after all these years I can still get lost in a video game to the point where I wish I could actually be in it =cough=skyrim=cough=.

It would be fun to see a more up to date game for xanth, I would definitely play it.

Anyway, I'm not reading these in order so I don't know if I'm missing something major in the storyline, but for being a standalone story it was enjoyable, puns and all. ....all of them.
Kirsti
So many good characters get a cameo in this one! Metria, Jenny, Nada, Sherlock, Bubbles, Grundy, and that's just to name a few. The demons are up to their usual games, and they want two mundanes to act it out for them. One is the handsome but average young male Dug, the other Xanth fanatic Kim. Between the two of them there is plenty of adventure and fun scenes.

Another great Xanth example, five stars!
Isaac
Demons was such a fun book, and it didn't hurt that the video game mentioned in the book was included. It's been a few years since I read it, but I recall that this was one of Anthony's stronger books. The characters were defined enough in their roles, the plot made sense enough to enjoy and, classic to all of Anthony's good books, we for the opportunity to explore his wonderful world.
Kathryn
I'm a little surprised I read two more books after "Demons Don't Dream". This one wasn't very good. At all. The main characters act OUT of character for the most part, the new arrivals are annoying and hard to identify with, and the video-game backstory is...what's a good word...twee. In a series of light humor, this book is nothing but fluff.
Megan Anderson
I read this when I was in middle school, and as an introduction to the zany world of Xanth, I think it's perfect. Comic fantasy, light and fluffy, and a quick read. Add to that the premise of video games, and you'll have most younger readers (especially boys) hooked. Recommended.

4/5 on here, 8/10 for myself
Dale Rosso
Nice entry in the Xanth series, I love the unusual things in Xanth that Anthony keeps coming up with.
Jay Chun
This book got me and my sister into the entire Xanth series. I think I was in elementary school; I went over to a friends house and he had a DOS version of Companions of Xanth game. I was so intrigued and found out it was related to this book. I think I read every single Xanth book that summer!
Nathan
Aug 06, 2008 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanthians
This is my second trip into the world of Xanth. I rather enjoy reading these, mostly for their simplistic writing style, but it also comes as a break for more challenging literature. Now, I won't make the switch completely, but I've found some increased value in fantasy, mostly due to Piers Anthony.
Natalie
A really great read! A departure from the usual characters as we follow 2 mundanes on a quest through mundania as part of a game, devised by demons, made a refreshing change from the norm (much as I love my Xanthian friends, I've been reading about them all for 15 months now, so change was good!)
Jeremiah Johnson
I really liked the idea of this book. Having Mundanes enter Xanth through a game was pretty cool. After the first quarter of the book though, it became rather dull and was just an insane pun filled adventure.
Not a bad read, but there are certainly better in the series.
I found an old notebook with a list of everything I was reading in the early nineties. I had a system of 0-3 stars going and gave this one no stars. I don't remember what that meant. I think I was over Piers Anthony and Xanth by this point.
Molly
This is the book that got me hooked on this series. I loved the puns and the world that Anthony made up. I love fantasy books and this book lived up to my expectations with all the aspects of a good book: humor, love and trials.
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)