Start by marking “Marisol and Magdalena: The Sound of Our Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
Marisol and Magdalena: The Sound of Our Sisterhood

Marisol and Magdalena: The Sound of Our Sisterhood

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Best friends Marisol and Magdalena live in Brooklyn, and both have grown up with extended Latina families. When Marisol's mother sends her away to Panama to live with relatives, it puts her American values to the test, as well as her friendship with Magdalena.
Published March 26th 2001 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Marisol and Magdalena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marisol and Magdalena

TheFountainPenDiva
Oct 05, 2013 TheFountainPenDiva rated it it was amazing
First of all, how often are Afro-Latinas ever featured on the covers of ANYTHING? And even though this is a Disney publishing venture, I have to give them credit for not whitewashing.
Miranda
Nov 18, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it
I have been trying to find out what this book was called FOREVER. I read it back in seventh grade and I actually really enjoyed it. Now that I have the title, I think I'll go back and re-read it!
Xiao Yan
Jun 01, 2008 Xiao Yan rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-year-07
Marisol and Magdalena are best friends living in Brooklyn. Both of their relatives try to teach them about their culture and native land.Both girls claim that they are too "American" to learn about their background.Marisol's mother sends her to Panama to live with her grandma and learn about her homeland. therefore, Marisol and Magdalena are separated. And everything becomes a test for them both. To see if they can still keep their friendship. This book was very boring and not very fun to read b ...more
Vivienne Neal
May 06, 2012 Vivienne Neal rated it it was amazing
Someone had left this book on the table in the lobby of my co-op. I was going to pass it on to my cousin for her grandchildren to read. However, when I started to read the book, I could not put it down. It is a wonderful read, and all ages will enjoy this book about the coming of age of two teenagers, who are best friends. Although they are from the same ethnic background, one of them returns to their native country. You begin to see how American culture has a major impact on how the girls see t ...more
Rowena
Jul 05, 2014 Rowena rated it really liked it
This book is what made me desperate to go to Panama, ever since I read it as a child. Lovely story.
Yeelen
Apr 08, 2016 Yeelen marked it as to-read
foqwhhasioaehtdnsfiejdmsngiewht9gosdjifiwej
Dakota
Feb 04, 2015 Dakota added it
I just want ot read it again
Entrigue Saturday
Jan 02, 2016 Entrigue Saturday rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I love this book.
Karina Tavarez
Sep 02, 2009 Karina Tavarez rated it really liked it
This book was about too bestfriends Marisol and Magdalena. Marisol finds out she is moving to Panama because her mother thinks thats what is best for her. Magdalena finds out to and she gets less close to Marisol but when they have to say good-bye Magdalena apologizes. Marisol never thought she was going to like Panama but she gets use to it and starts sharing the same love for it at her mother .
Arlienny
Sep 16, 2010 Arlienny rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl called marisol that lives with her mom in new york city.Once her mom wanted to send her to her grandmothers house in panama but marisol didn't want to go.After she was in her grandmother house she was looking for her fther cause he never seen him or talk to him sice sge wus born.
Brittney Wright
i believe that this book explains the true meaning of friendship. i love this book because this book also describes how you can travel to new places, meet new people and still come back to the place where you were from and still mend your friendship with the others that you left behind by a few simple words!
Snow
i learned from this book that is not easy living the one's you love to meet people you dont know and move to a weird place you never been to.This girl is very strong cause she did it on her own and she made it
Kameron Foreman
Nov 24, 2010 Kameron Foreman rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Douceline Vixama
Jan 25, 2011 Douceline Vixama rated it really liked it
awsome book
Debbie Pepper
Debbie Pepper marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Porsha
Porsha rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jamiehuang
Jamiehuang marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sarah added it
Mar 07, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Alyona
Alyona marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Ilovelamp
Ilovelamp rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Wenzy
Wenzy added it
Feb 08, 2016
Bob
Bob is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2015
aaliyah Monique Howard
aaliyah Monique Howard rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Trisha Coombs
Trisha Coombs marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Odette
Odette marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Veronica Chambers is a prolific author, best known for her critically acclaimed memoir, Mama’s Girl, which has been course adopted by hundreds of high schools and colleges throughout the country. The New Yorker called Mama’s Girl “a troubling testament to grit and mother love… one of the finest and most evenhanded in the genre in recent years.” Born in Panama and raised in Brooklyn, Ms. Chambers' ...more
More about Veronica Chambers...