Start by marking “Marisol and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
Marisol and Other Plays

Marisol and Other Plays

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  8 reviews
First major collection by a leading Hispanic-American playwright.
Published April 1st 1997 by Theatre Communications Group

To ask other readers questions about Marisol and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marisol and Other Plays

Tommy
Stunning play. I'm in the middle of doing research for a lecture on magical realism and how one negotiates "magical terms" with an audience. This is the cream of the crop.
Carissa
The play opens on a set made to look like a street in New York City. A brick wall runs the widlth of the stage, going up as high as it is allowed in the theatre, security gates over the windows, everything boarded up.

The announcer's voice over the PA tells us where we are: 180th Street in the Bronx. The announcer tells the passengers to walk quickly and guard their valuables and trust no one, which is an unusual pronouncement from a disembodied and typically very detached voice.

Marisol is on the...more
Brenda
Sep 07, 2008 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Theatre folk, Latino theatre/culture enthusiasts
Recommended to Brenda by: Chris
Each Day Dies With Sleep - a young woman is keep in a virtual animal state by her abusive father, neglectful mother and enormous, anonymous family. She falls in love with a lothario who has seduced more than one of her sisters and fathered several nieces and nephews. They change each other for the better, but the pull of her father and his desire to keep her in a servile, sub-human state is almost overwhelming.

This was my least favourite of the three plays but it was still an enjoyable read. I c...more
Rosie
Jose Rivera is the best playwright currently living. And Marisol is the best I've seen of him. This story is about New York City after God has slowly started to go senile in his old age and the world is deteriorating, the angels of heaven stage a revolt against him and all the world is a battle ground. Marisol has already lost most of her friends to the plague and the moon has left the earth's orbit by the time the play starts.

It is magic realism at its best. Also, Cloud Tectonics, the third pla...more
Marisela
Hands down Jose Rivera is my favorite playwright.

His work is so beautiful, so imaginative, and mythic.

Cloud Tectonics is one of the most amazing plays about love. What's the line from the play? To love you as a baby, as an old man...absolutely incredible.
Rob
Sep 03, 2007 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: doubters
Marisol is a superb play. Find it acted somewhere to witness it in the way it was meant to be. (Shout out to Ben W. for directing this for his SMP. Splendid!) Apocalypse has never looked so good.

The other plays in this particular binding are worth a read, too.
Shannon
Cloud Tectonics is beyond beautiful, and the other plays are fantastic also.
Melanie
Specifically: "Cloud Tectonics"
Lisa Roney
Lisa Roney marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Dominique Brown
Dominique Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marisol References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot and Other Plays Cloud Tectonics Letters to Juliet The House of Ramon Iglesia

“What a time to be alive, huh? On one hand, we’re nothing. We’re dirt. On the other hand, we’re the reason the universe was made.” 0 likes