Start by marking “Teachings on Love” as Want to Read:
Teachings on Love

Teachings on Love

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  695 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Relationships are always complex and challenging, but never more so than in today’s hectic, stressful world. Weaving together traditional stories, personal experiences, and a deep understanding of the Buddha's way of mindful living, Thich Nhat Hanh's Teachings on Love provides step-by-step practices that foster understanding and intimacy in any relationship and extend our ...more
Published December 5th 2006 by Parallax Press (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Teachings on Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings on Love

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönPeace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
146th out of 610 books — 783 voters
The Five Love Languages by Gary ChapmanDomination & Submission by Michael MakaiThe Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. GottmanThe Dance of Anger by Harriet LernerIf the Buddha Dated by Charlotte Kasl
Sex, Love & Intimacy
192nd out of 212 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
The concept that really stuck with me is the metaphor that your partner is a garden with all different types of seeds -- seeds of jealousy, seeds of compassion, seeds of generosity, seeds of anger...and as their partner, you need to water the positive seeds so that they grow stronger than the negative seeds. BUT each person's garden is already planted with a certain amount of each type of seed so you should also pick the partner with a good garden.
Robert Day
Lovely. Another book I started reading about 5 years ago and I stopped because the teachings were so deep that I wanted to read them very, very slowly and appreciate every single drop as it dripped into me like nectar. I wanted the whole experience to be a meditation on love. I found at the time that I was not able to devote enough time and attention to the book to do it justice, so I stopped reading and put it on hold... until now.
When I started reading again it was as if I never stopped. I ste
Josh M
This book changed my life. That is all i can say...there isn't much better praise than that. The meditations and knowledge contained in this book will add so much vibrance to your life...whether you are single or not.

Buy it, borrow it, or check it out...it is definitely a must read.
Meg
If you've read something else Thich Nhat Hanh has written, then you've already read this. Unlike other books by Thich, this moves away from the general abstracts of love and instead focuses on specific B Buddhist doctrine. As someone who is not a constituent of Buddhism, I found it too narrow to be readily applicable to my life. I wasn't captivated by it, nor did I get very much out of it. Skip this one and read his other book True Love instead.
Liz
Although this book is written by a Buddhist monk, anyone can benefit from its teachings. Reading it is like receiving nourishment after being parched and starved in the desert for days. I am without religion yet I embrace any teachings from any religion that spread love and humanity. This book is a guidebook on how to treat ourselves in order to live better lives. It was gently suggested to me for study by a friend who saw that I suffered ills within my soul. It's packed with meaning behind ever ...more
Emily
Teachings on Love was my first real exposure to Buddhist teachings. I marveled at the truths in this book that resonated with me to my core. I found myself thinking, "if all of us could just be MINDFUL in our daily lives, the world would be transformed!" I have incorporated some of the meditations in my life and they have lightened my heart immensely. This book is a truly remarkable "how to" guide to loving those around you and releasing anger from yourself. It is one I hope to read again and ag ...more
Marty Babits
Well-done. As simple and evocative as a fairy tale but as tough minded and reality oriented as a Colombo tale. How's that for a combination? An enjoyable and insightful book on love relationships. As a couples therapist I have suggested that numerous clients read sections of this book.
Kelly
Like all his other books, this book challenged my mind with new ideas. At the same time, it served as a reminder to breathe and smile and take a moment for in the present moment.

Very much in line with non-violent communication practices, and I love having more of that.
Stephanie
Although I've heard these stories before, they are still insightful.
Mark
I re-listened to this yesterday, and it was a peaceful drive.
Myriam
The last time I read this book in whole was two years ago; I first read it when it came out in 1997 or so. It is one of those books, like the Tao Te Ching, that one comes back to and again. Thich Nhat Hanh's delineation of the various types of love and their best manifestations, anecdotes and meditations on how to truly be in a place of love, practicing love that is compassionate, in tune with our inner selves, non-injurious to others and compassionate towards our ancestors and the earth are ins ...more
Zac Sigler
I liked this, but I think I liked it more because I've never read a mindfulness book geared toward love before. If I had, I think much of it may have been repetitive. That said, I think the best thing about this book is that it includes many mindfulness/love meditations to practice. Some are long, so I need to find an alternative to memorization. I'm choosing not to spend the time it would take to memorize them word for word.
Chanita.Shannon
Love is more than an emotion. Drawing on millennia of Buddhist wisdom and his own therapeutic methods, Teachings on Love further develops his practical notion of interbeing in terms of love. If all things are interrelated, what could be more paramount to negotiating those relations than love? And more than just a way of relating, love is a way of living..." --Brian Bruya
Heather
Apr 25, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone; especially those interested in meditation
Book has great mantras and good ideas for meditation and broadening one's perspective on what love encompasses. This book is not about sappy valentines day with flowers love but the love for one's self and everyone that if it grows will eventually spill over into all parts of life. I really found the excercises helpful and enjoyed reading the book on my way to work everyday.
Kathryn
I love this book! My local sangha's book club read this book a couple years ago and I have returned again and again to be nourished by its wisdom. In my upcoming wedding we are using several excerpts from it, both of us resonating with so many concepts.
Dan Robinson
Jan 06, 2008 Dan Robinson is currently reading it
What is that group that buys books and then food if there is money left? I think that I should join. Picked up this one in the bookstore and had to take it home - think that I'll get out the highlighter and start marking it up. Thay really speaks to me personally and in regards to relationships re possesiveness etc.. looks really good so far.
Alice
Listened to the audiobook, which is not a reading of the book, but instead a collection of recorded lectures Thich Nhat Hanh gave in New York. The lectures were okay, but disjointed and rambling. I was disappointed by the audio version of this title. I would like to give this title a second try, however, and read the print book.
Shirley
Oct 24, 2008 Shirley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shirley by: Mairi
Brilliant. It had been a long time since I'd read any Buddhist writings.

A great overview on love... its fundamental link to enlightenment. A broader picture than simply romantic chick-flick love... but LOVE. Self love, true love,... focusing on the real emotion, not mixing it with pleasure, for example, but with joy, altruism, etc.
Sara
for a few weeks in december, i began each day with my cup of tea and a brief excerpt from teachings on love. it was indeed the most perfect way to embrace the mornings, and the days felt all the more harmonious having thich nhat hanh's words with me...
...delicate and gentle wisdom found here...if you've not read it, you must!
Leaning-Good

evoL sI laeR : Real Is Love.

Love is NOTHING,
To Be Hurt.

Love is Such Thing!! ;
JOIN & JOY On Earth!

<3..<3..<3,
Suka

..........................................................
"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."
— Anonymous

Mahinn
Utterly benign and gentle. This book is not only a reminder to love but a primer on how to go about it. It's made real simple - no religion needed. No intellectual debating. No sacrifices, no fasts, no martyrs. Just faith, surrender, and the willingness to make peace with love and make love your way of life.
Christine
I respect him very much as a Buddhist elder and author. This is both sweet and poetic while also giving some really practical suggestions about how to nourish your relationships. I've read it a couple times now and still pick it up and look at it sometimes for ideas about meditation.
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Heather by: Michelle Pace.
This book is a great book to help you feel more love for yourself and those around you I gained a lot from reading this. Every chapter leaves you feeling better about yourself and others then you did before picking up the book.
Rin
Aug 01, 2007 Rin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in need
teachings on love is a little 'deeper' of a read than Miracle of Mindfullness... but it is still very touching. Love of a mother, love for yourself... this book helps you understand the infinite ways to love.
Tara
I've always been drawn to Thich Nhat Hanh because he softens the hard edges of Zen. 'Teachings on Love' provides practical meditations and visualizations for the practice of deep looking.
Vironika Tugaleva
His words, examples, and imagery are so vivid and poignant that he manages to evoke, on each page, loving feelings and thoughts. I could find no better guide to the truth about love.
Thanyawee Chuanchuen
Oct 07, 2007 Thanyawee Chuanchuen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ajarn Matt
I learned a lot from this book. Rev. Thich became my Hero. I really see who I am and who I want to be through his series of books. You should try one and you will be addicted to them.
Diane
Thich Nhat Hanh has done an excellent job on creating steps that are useful to creating better and lasting relationships. Mindfully written.
jonathan
despite its cloying title, and absolutely horrific cover graphic, this book provides a great way to tap into that other, better part of ourselves.
Cherie
Another good read by one of my favorite monks; a book focusing on love, how to love, and how to treat those you love (inc yourself)
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Fifty Days of Solitude
  • Practicing Peace in Times of War
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • The Art of Presence
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • Love For No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • Undefended Love
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“Through my love for you, I want to express my love for the whole cosmos, the whole of humanity, and all beings. By living with you, I want to learn to love everyone and all species. If I succeed in loving you, I will be able to love everyone and all species on Earth... This is the real message of love.” 518 likes
“Each moment is a chance for us to make peace with the world, to make peace possible for the world, to make happiness possible for the world.” 84 likes