Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories, and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  49 reviews
"SARK is a sparkler who jump-starts the creative process. Her ideas are user-friendly, innovative, and pragmatic." Julia Cameron, author of The Artist's Way

Write and share what's in your heart! Let SARK show you how. Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper is your non-judgmental witness, resoundingly supportive friend, and practical guide to the craft of writing and storytelling. For an...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Harmony (first published August 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper

MountainShelby
People either like SARK's style or they don't. I do. If you're looking for a book about constructing plots, characters, tension in your writing--you won't find any of that here. But if you're looking to jumpstart your work, move beyond fear and self-doubt, or just look at your world a little differently, SARK is a great facilitator of the creative process. While reading this book, I decided to move 20 steps away from a hiking route I had literally been taking for 20 years. I moved 20 steps from...more
Amanda
Jun 28, 2012 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This has to be one of the best finds I've literally stumbled upon in the library! I love when I just start wandering around searching for one thing and find something else that I end up loving!

One of the most inspirational books I've read in a long time, or maybe ever. I admit my mood was in a funk for a couple days....I read this and not only get sucked into it but I get this urge to start writing! I've wanted to write and toy around with the idea of writing more than just these blogs and revie...more
McNair
Aug 13, 2008 McNair rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, authors, speakers, teachers, artists, stroytellers, humans
Recommended to McNair by: The Author
After fourteen grand, inspiring books, our delightful SARK has crafted a rich, full, remarkable book on writing. This is not your typical how-to-write-a-book book. She does share scores of insights and practical tips for writing, getting published, and the all-important finding your own "voice." But like all of SARK's work (books, articles, interviews, appearances, and seminars) she gives more than we could ever expect. There are the always-welcome SARK-prises of unexpected treats and secrets. O...more
Jennifer Kyrnin
I love SARK's books. They are all so colorful and fun. This one is a very fast read, with a lot of interesting anecdotes and ideas in it. It made it nearly irresistible to work in my journal while I was reading this book.

My biggest challenge in reading this book was in not getting discouraged that my journal efforts don't look nearly as interesting as SARK's. Ironically, I find myself apologizing within the pages of the journal because they are ugly or boring. But if you need inspiration or jus...more
Freida
The bright colors, drawings, and hand printing in this book are like all of SARK's books making it appear as if the book has lots of content. Sounds good, but it is pretty much all recycled. If you are looking for new ideas for writing, this book doesn’t have it.
Two things I did like about the book were the writing quotes spread throughout the book and some Internet sites that were listed in the final chapters.
Jenn Martin
A fun and inspiring way to get past the fears of writing. It was a good read for me because I spent 4 years studying writing and have written very little since college. It got me journaling again. It doesn't go too deep, and it's written all in sharpie markers, but it's a good avenue for a new perspective for someone in need of one.
HeavyReader
This book has all the SARK hallmarks: bold colors; handwriting instead of text printed by machine; the story about living in the nook in the bookstore; info about micro-movements; gentle, supportive advice. I didn't learn anything new, but I always appreciate SARK's kindness and wisdom. Now writers have a SARK book to call their own.
Phredric
A cute book which also had some sensible things to say about starting writing. But the cute factor started to grate after a while and I found the typography quite hard to read. Not a book to read in one sitting but quite pleasant to pick up and flick through now and again
Jennifer Drury
This book touched me in a way that other books on writing or the creative process haven't. I will have a lot to think about for a long time, and will be going back to read it many times in the months to come.
Rachel
I read this book in like three days. It has really motivated me to start writing again.
Tracy
I didn't find this book super helpful in regards to writing. I'm going to try the Write and Dash game (spend a day, or part of a day writing and dashing on errands) to help clear my mind. This book has inspired me to try writing by hand (instead of typing) and to play with art or writing with m favorite colored markers or gel pens as I try to get my story across; maybe it might help me get out of my writing rut.
Kara

It’s the kind of coffee table book you would find in the more liberal English class-room – the kind where students are actually taught to write for themselves rather than just how to fill in a state mandated grid.

Its meant to be picked up and put down many times – not the kind of book you read straight through from beginning to end. It’s filled with advice and quotes and encouragement to get the most calcified of wannabe writers putting words on paper. The biggest lesson the book holds is “no fe...more
Rachel
I just love SARK, mostly because she tells me things I already know. And she always makes me want to quit typing and start writing, as in handwriting, with markers and colors. And she makes me feel accomplished because I can finish one of her books in two days. This one is about writing, which comes at a good time for me, as I'm just getting out of a rut and feeling some steam gather. My one problem with SARK is her books are a little samey; a chapter or a page lifted from any of her books would...more
Aprils
I liked the way that SARK acknowledges that writing is challenging. She understands and encourages me to keep going.
Abigail
I have read this before and absolutely love it! It is full of inspiration and writing advise. The writing advise is more about getting over the things that block creativity and production (something I'm quite prone to!). The other great thing about this book is the resources that SARK provides. So many books and web-sites and music to look at! I have gotten even more inspiration and ideas from looking at those as well. I have always found SARK to be such a positive beam of light and she delivers...more
Shelby Harper
I adore SARK and find her colorful books really fun to read and inspirational. This book is mostly for the writer who is stuck or afraid to begin writing. That's not me...I found her chapter on publishing to be helpful, though. She encourages the writer to examine the story they tell themselves regarding publishing (for me, that would be that nobody wants to publish first-time novelists) and to create a new, positive story.
Alexis
May 27, 2013 Alexis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Not a whole lot of substance, but there were excellent, empowering tips in this writing book. I found the section on micro-movements to be extremely helpful and it's something that I intend to bring into my own writing practice.

I'm going to be teaching a course on creativity in corporate writing, so I've been reading a lot on both writing and creativity.
Terrie
The title delighted me when I first heard it and I'm still in love with it! Sark is a delight and this is my favorite book (and I really like all the other ones!). The resources and inclusion of other writers is great - demonstrates the "community" approach for writers - might inspire more people to write!
Catherine Green
If you are a woman with something to say, and you are feeling a little shy or lacking in creative freedom, then read this book. SARK writes in an informal, entertaining, and practical style, and she will inspire you to embrace your creative self, and to fulfill your dreams of being heard and seen.
Mia McInnis
As always SARK never fails to deliver - not only does she help me think in different ways, her style is so raw and uplifting that I cannot help but smile every time I read her. :) I would recommend this to any woman who writes, and even men who are willing to try something different ^_^
Edwina
Aug 11, 2012 Edwina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers and teachers
Absolutely love SARK's honesty and humor as I learned from her how to think more like a writer. The activities are focused on organizing time and resources, dispelling personal mind-blocks, and spinning the writer's personal stories into works that speak a personal yet universal message.
Relyn
Jan 01, 2011 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SARK lovers and wannabe writers
Recommended to Relyn by: I've read most of SARK's work
Shelves: 2011-reread
10/4/08
My dear friend Katie gave me this book for my birthday. I am loving it!

11/1/08
I loved it! It took me a while to finish the book because I kept reading it and stopping to write. I guess that makes the book a success. Yes?

1/1/11
What a good book to start the year with.
D.G. Kaye
As always, I thoroughly enjoy reading Sark. This book in particular has a vast amount of referrals from her experience as an author. She shares writer's websites, good reading, motivational excercises and publishing resources, a wealth of information.
K
Sark's charm is definitely wearing thin on me.

I suppose I have become rather cynical of this author, but to be fair, all of her books are beginning to tell the same stories. How many times can she mention her '13 published works'?
Victoria
Didn't love it. It just wasn't as "juicy" as most of SARK's books are for me. Eminently readable, but nothing that I found really interesting or inspiring. Maybe because I'm already writing?
Kate
As always SARK is truly inspirational. She provides insight into her creative process and challenges the reader to let go of all of the things that are inhibiting you from writing.
Mary Radmacher
her style is inimitable and straightforward.

reading this book is like sitting across a coffee table from sark (susan) and receiving the benefit
of her encouragement for your writing.
Heather Faye
I enjoyed this book but it wasn't as stunning as some of SARKs other works. Perhaps it's where I am in life. Still, it will be a welcome addition to my library.
Rachel
This book may have some good suggestions, but I couldn't read it.
The font / her sloppy handwriting in different colors for each sentence was too distracting.
Kristen
I think it's fun to read about writing, esp. looking at it in the light of blog writing.

Lots of great quotes I need to go back and copy down. Fun stuff.
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Walking in this World
SARK (a.k.a. Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) is an American author and illustrator of self-help books. Five of her sixteen books have been national bestsellers, and she has sold more than two million copies of her books.

More about SARK...
Succulent Wild Woman Creative Companion: How to Free Your Creative Spirit Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom Eat Mangoes Naked: Finding Pleasure Everywhere (and dancing with the Pits) The Bodacious Book of Succulence: Daring to Live Your Succulent Wild LIife